Acer Iconia W3 better than a Chromebook

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if someone who owns a W3 will recommend it versus a Chromebook.. I am student and need something portable and functional.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend a Surface RT over either. I owned the Acer and sold it after 1 month. The screen quality was very poor. The Chromebook runs on Android and that in itself, is reason for me to not have one.

You can get the Surface RT with keyboard for between 225 - 300 off Craigslist or on eBay.

You also have Office RT loaded for taking notes and PowerPoint for making presentations. I realize that these exist on the Acer as well but the added size and quality of the screen on the Surface is well worth the consideration.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not to be smart, but did you really need to ask that.

Full windows versus chromebook?

There are a few points that should be your top priority; functionality, versatility, and available software.

W3 gives you an option of laptop or tablet form. Times when you need a kb and times where you want a consumption device.

Compaitbility with nearly all bt and accessory peripherals and this IS the most versatile. (form factor/full windows)

Windows is the most productive OS (including software/free and paid)
You get better performance using office web apps because of full windows too.

I admit not typing down more important aspects, but you should consider w3 versus another windows 8 device. For productivity, you can't beat it.

Also, depending on what you're studying, hopefully in the IT field, you'll have access to nearly all of MS products for free.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually Chromebook's run off Google's own proprietary operating system.

However I do agree with Aximtreo. I tried a chromebook at Best Buy and didn't like the user interface. If people think windows 8 is hard try Chrome OS! They generally come with very small SSD's less even than the Iconia w3 and Surface RT at about 16GB. The reason is that the idea for a chromebook is based on being connected to the internet all the time. Chromebooks utilize online versions of word processing software so you can't use any word/excel type programs when offline. They also come with pretty poor processors and short battery life. It's just a different ecosystem - I don't recommend.

I do own and LOVE an Iconia W3. Regardless of it's usefulness I wanted full x86 legacy application compatibility in an 8" form factor. The Iconia W3 has good battery life and reasonable processor performance. As far as speed and performance I would say very near equal to the Surface RT.

Now it sounds like you need a laptop replacement for around $250. If that's the case you should get the Surface RT. You can remote desktop to a stronger PC if you need legacy applications, but you generally have everything you need available like real Word, Excel, PowerPoint. It has a much better screen and at 10" a bit more useful as a work station. And with connectivity to Xbox via Xbox glass, you have access to your library of music and image projection to your TV. Lastly, the touch/type covers are fantastic! I can type quite well on them and they really complete the full laptop package for a surface RT device.

Each device caters to a different need, evaluate why you need it and I could probably give you a more direct answer.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Not to be smart, but did you really need to ask that.

Full windows versus chromebook?

There are a few points that should be your top priority; functionality, versatility, and available software.

W3 gives you an option of laptop or tablet form. Times when you need a kb and times where you want a consumption device.

Compaitbility with nearly all bt and accessory peripherals and this IS the most versatile. (form factor/full windows)

Windows is the most productive OS (including software/free and paid)
You get better performance using office web apps because of full windows too.

I admit not typing down more important aspects, but you should consider w3 versus another windows 8 device. For productivity, you can't beat it.

Also, depending on what you're studying, hopefully in the IT field, you'll have access to nearly all of MS products for free.

I know.. I know full windows blows away the chromebook OS.. But you know I want to hear opinions just to get some more info.. I am close to buy the W3.. This Friday most likely.. I just needed to hear from some users who have had it..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually Chromebook's run off Google's own proprietary operating system.

However I do agree with Aximtreo. I tried a chromebook at Best Buy and didn't like the user interface. If people think windows 8 is hard try Chrome OS! They generally come with very small SSD's less even than the Iconia w3 and Surface RT at about 16GB. The reason is that the idea for a chromebook is based on being connected to the internet all the time. Chromebooks utilize online versions of word processing software so you can't use any word/excel type programs when offline. They also come with pretty poor processors and short battery life. It's just a different ecosystem - I don't recommend.

I do own and LOVE an Iconia W3. Regardless of it's usefulness I wanted full x86 legacy application compatibility in an 8" form factor. The Iconia W3 has good battery life and reasonable processor performance. As far as speed and performance I would say very near equal to the Surface RT.

Now it sounds like you need a laptop replacement for around $250. If that's the case you should get the Surface RT. You can remote desktop to a stronger PC if you need legacy applications, but you generally have everything you need available like real Word, Excel, PowerPoint. It has a much better screen and at 10" a bit more useful as a work station. And with connectivity to Xbox via Xbox glass, you have access to your library of music and image projection to your TV. Lastly, the touch/type covers are fantastic! I can type quite well on them and they really complete the full laptop package for a surface RT device.

Each device caters to a different need, evaluate why you need it and I could probably give you a more direct answer.

Is the screen that bad like some reviewers say??

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The W3 is...quite frankly..rubbish. The screen is truly awful. Avoid.

Go find Paul Thurrott's review of it on the Winsupersite. He sums it up nicely.

agactual

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an iconia w3 and I think it is amazing. I honestly do not understand why this tablet is so despised. Sure, the screen isn't the most amazing display ever made but it is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. It does look slightly grainy and the viewing angles are a little restricted but I have never been bothered by it. The idea that it would be a deal breaker is ridiculous. I think someone would have to be very, very picky about their display to think that the W3 is unusable. I have shown my iconia to many people and no one has thought the screen was bad. I have owned many, many tablets in the past few years and the iconia W3 is by far the best.

With that said, I do really like chromebooks too. My wife has one and it is quite nice, if you have a steady internet connection (but they are starting to make downloadable programs for it too). Google Docs and slides both work very well these days and if you aren't into intense gaming or business planing, a chromebook is a good way to go. You just have to be ok with the restrictions in the programs that comes with Chrome OS.

Really, I think either option is good, it just depends on what you want. If you want a tablet and you like windows then the W3 is quite a deal (i got mine $250 new). The speed is pretty good, the battery life is beyond amazing, and I like the size. I can use it as a tablet, a laptop, or a desktop. It is quite perfect if you have a use for something like that. If you really want a laptop and you like Chrome, a chrome book is a good deal too. Just remember though, you can do everything on windows that you can do on chrome. You can even install the little chrome app drawer in the windows task bar now, just like you see on chrome os. And of course there is the new dell 8 inch windows tablet. $50 more than a W3 but the screen is unlikely to ever be an issue, if you feel like it really would be.

Last edited:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if someone who owns a W3 will recommend it versus a Chromebook.. I am student and need something portable and functional.

There are quite a few very good Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets. Unfortunately, the W3 is not one of them. Sadly, it is a poorly made, cheap plastic, toy with possibly the worst screen available outside the $99 bargain Android tablets. While I would avoid Chromebooks, you can do much better in the Windows tablet world than a W3 for only a minimal bump up in price..

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I also own the Acer W3 and can confirm that the display does suck, but the overall performance and hardware, in my opinion, is great. If the W3's display was improved, then yeah, I recommend the W3. For now, I think Surface RT would be the best option.

However, be aware that there's going to be a refreshed W3 released soon, with an improved display.

Also, the Dell Venue Pro 8 looks very promising and I think, I could be wrong, that the starting price is 299.99. And I think it releases later this month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium