Dell Venue 8 Pro

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not a big tablet user. I prefer a laptop to a tablet, but the announcement of a decent looking 8" win8 tablet for around $300 is very interesting to me.

Thoughts?

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Same here, but holding out on a rumored Surface Mini.

I do like the Venue 8 and it looks pretty slick. If the Surface is nothing but a fantasy dream, then I'll get this Dell device.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Will it include office?

All "small screen" Windows 8 tablets include office, so the Venue 8 should.

I was thinking of holding off for the Surface Mini as well, but the Venue 8 runs Windows 8.1 as oppose to RT which no doubt, the Surface Mini will run. I'm not looking to run any heavy apps or games on something this small, but it's nice to have support for full apps like VPNs that still won't be supported in RT 8.1.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
[video=youtube;DlmXeHmQ8IY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DlmXeHmQ8IY[/video]

It's only supposed to cost $300. A pretty good deal, IMO, especially for a active digitizer. Though it wouldn't surprise me if it costs a bit more to get the pen. However, that 1200x800 rez and no HDMI out is a bit of a deal breaker for me. My RT is 1366x768 and I'm ready to leave that resolution behind. Plus, having HDMI is really useful for me.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
All "small screen" Windows 8 tablets include office, so the Venue 8 should.

I was thinking of holding off for the Surface Mini as well, but the Venue 8 runs Windows 8.1 as oppose to RT which no doubt, the Surface Mini will run. I'm not looking to run any heavy apps or games on something this small, but it's nice to have support for full apps like VPNs that still won't be supported in RT 8.1.

For me, I really don't care for the full Windows 8.1, RT would be just fine for me on the Surface Mini. For example, I have the Acer W3 and rarely go into desktop mode. The only time when I do is to transfer files from the sd card to the local drive. Other than that, it's all Modern app usage for me.

Is it nice to have full Windows? Yes it is, but it's unnecessary. RT would have been fine on the Acer W3 and I would be happy with it as I am today......except for the terrible display.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I like the Venue 11 as I am looking for a slightly larger tablet. The Venue 11 + keyboard looks like a sweet deal.

Does anyone know of any other 11"+ tablets that have been announced recently.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, but the lack of USB ports kind of upset me. I might just see what these new Type covers are going for in price, and buy a used Surface RT

sitongia

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one, but I am bummed that it doesn't have GPS or HDMI. I assume the HDMI capability is there, given the graphics hardware, but they didn't bring it out. I would think that GPS is there, too, since it has an accelerometer and even little smart phones have GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac