Microsoft should be afraid of a 13" iPad

slowboy920

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Tru dat. I work full time and still need to ensure my Pro 2 investment makes sense to spend so much money. I'm not the type that buys new hardware every year, im more a 5-7 year kinda person (my wife's laptop is 8 years old, my PC is 4 years old)...so I am researching as much but know Pro 2 is what I want.

Agreed , iPads aren't cheap...but they are built well with beautiful retina display that pops out with colors. I am a little upset that some reviews of Pro 2 testing state resolution hasn't been improved from P1...i hope that's not the case.
I know how you feel. I thought long and hard on purchasing SP2. I have a RT and it does most of what I need. At this point it's a need and want issue. The human mind is never content. I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered, but continue to debate with myself on such a investment. Hoping to use it mobile and desktop replacement as I started post-grad this semester

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just stumbled across this, thought I'd drop it in here:
Apple Eyes 13-Inch iPad Hybrid? 8 Signs - Hardware - Desktops/PCs -

Nice find. Reading the article I can't help but notice the multiple references to falling Mac sales. The cynic in me says that if Apple builds this, they're conceding that Cook was wrong in his dismissal of hybrids. If this is so, then Cook can't possibly be the proper successor to Steve Jobs because he would lack the vision to carry Apple into the future. The realist in me says this may be just a ploy to get the sheep all riled up and keep Apple in the news. Either way, Microsoft won this round but true heavyweights go the full 15 rounds.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The more I hear about this rumor (like in the aforementioned article), the more my anxiety grows.

This hybrid model has yet to take off, but Apple already has an army of iZombies are their command, eagerly awaiting their next command from their leader. Sure, for now they all scoff at how ridiculous the notion of a hybrid is, hence their aversion to fine products like the Surface, but the second Tim Cook unveils this supposed hybrid, all bets are off. Everyone will instantly suffer amnesia, and rush out to buy this en masse. It will be praised as revolutionary and, should it run OS X apps, then people will praise Apple for their brilliance in bringing touch and desktop together in seamless harmony.

We saw the exact same thing happen with iOS 7, everyone praising Apple for coming up with such an original and modern take on mobile computing. I fear that should Apple do this, it will be the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft. They'll still be around, of course, and continue making products. But just like Apple when Microsoft won the PC wars, Microsoft will only be around as a niche player, gaining no more than 5% market share, and that's if we're lucky.

Hopefully Apple doesn't unveil this so soon. If they do plan on making it, hopefully they wait another year, that way Microsoft has an extra year to get the word about Surface 2 out and hopefully win over some market share before Apple tries to waltz in. It's a slippery slope, I just hope Tim Cook stands by what he said earlier this year.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but we must never underestimate the ignorance of the iSheep. They buy without even considering what it is. If Apple says they'll need it, they'll buy it (and don't get me wrong, Apple makes fine products, and they truly were great innovators in the past. It's just annoying how they've managed to be the subject of the most annoying, mindless cult of all time).

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this article, good read. Also led me to the referenced Surface article:
http://mobile.informationweek.com/122373/show/43f95f523dcd60d60cfa905f2a7f7a5b/?
Dear god, the mobile page looks awful on my laptop. Hang on, I'll get a proper link
http://www.informationweek.com/tech...soft-surface-10-best-and-worst-chan/240161743

Also, what makes this concerning to me is that the Surface, other convertible Windows PCs and this supposed Apple product represent a new device category, which means that it's a space where Microsoft doesn't dominate the market by default. They may be the de facto owners of the market now, but for now that's not much to brag about given the sales figures. It is very possible for someone like Apple to come along and sweep it out from under their feet.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The more I hear about this rumor (like in the aforementioned article), the more my anxiety grows.

This hybrid model has yet to take off, but Apple already has an army of iZombies are their command, eagerly awaiting their next command from their leader. Sure, for now they all scoff at how ridiculous the notion of a hybrid is, hence their aversion to fine products like the Surface, but the second Tim Cook unveils this supposed hybrid, all bets are off. Everyone will instantly suffer amnesia, and rush out to buy this en masse. It will be praised as revolutionary and, should it run OS X apps, then people will praise Apple for their brilliance in bringing touch and desktop together in seamless harmony.

We saw the exact same thing happen with iOS 7, everyone praising Apple for coming up with such an original and modern take on mobile computing. I fear that should Apple do this, it will be the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft. They'll still be around, of course, and continue making products. But just like Apple when Microsoft won the PC wars, Microsoft will only be around as a niche player, gaining no more than 5% market share, and that's if we're lucky.

Hopefully Apple doesn't unveil this so soon. If they do plan on making it, hopefully they wait another year, that way Microsoft has an extra year to get the word about Surface 2 out and hopefully win over some market share before Apple tries to waltz in. It's a slippery slope, I just hope Tim Cook stands by what he said earlier this year.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but we must never underestimate the ignorance of the iSheep. They buy without even considering what it is. If Apple says they'll need it, they'll buy it (and don't get me wrong, Apple makes fine products, and they truly were great innovators in the past. It's just annoying how they've managed to be the subject of the most annoying, mindless cult of all time).
If you believe that primary reason that people buy Apple products are because they are nothing more than iZombies and iSheep then you aren't seeing clearly what has transpired. I do see some people who buy the next iteration of Apple products. But... that isn't because they are mindless, but because they have had a track record of good experience with Apple products in the past...or know people who have. If you don't understand the power of customer satisfaction and customer loyalty then you won't understand they dynamics of consumerism... and are blind to your own pro-Microsoft bias.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Apple did the hard work of building customer loyalty. They didn't have the predatory monopolistic power that Microsoft had to get Windows preloaded on over 95% of PCs sold. Apple has gained moment from a loyal customer base. That's how it works. You aren't going to win friends and influence people by accusing the very people (who need to be convinced to buy Microsoft) of being mindless idiots. I see chinks in the Apple armor... a hubris that is starting to be revealed in their Post-Steve Jobs products. But Microsoft won't be able to take advantage of that if they continue on in their own arrogant ways of, "if we build it they will buy it because we're Microsoft dammit!".

Microsoft needs to build customer loyalty... particularly within the Surface customer base. So far they've poked a thumb in the eye of every RT purchaser who bought it at the original price. They've not offered anything to say "thank you" for buying an unproven product from a company with a poor track record of supporting their consumer products.

They don't need to do anything for me, I bought the $199 RT/TouchCover bundle... that's all that it is worth to me. But there are others who paid well over $500 for that.

You claim "everyone praising Apple" for iOS 7. That is hardly the reality of the situation. The Apple-centric forums are overflowing with the peasants armed with pitchforks and torches storming Cupertino because of the pitiful quality of iOS7 and the cartoonish "Fisher-Price My First Smartphone" looks.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely. Apple is not my favorite company in the world, but their products have been consistently high quality in every way. People love Apple for good reasons, and while I do believe that there are many who have perhaps become blind to the rest of the technology world as a result of their love of Apple, but I see some of that on the Microsoft side too.

Apple is not a company that can do no wrong though, and people are starting to see that Apple is doing very little to improve the value proposition of their products, and their one-size-fits-all approach to product design is becoming less and less acceptable now that so many different options are available elsewhere. They can absolutely be beaten in the market, but for Microsoft to pull it off they have to start acting more like an underdog and less like the giant mega-corporation they have become. The risks they have taken with Windows are a great start, but they are on shaky ground right now, and they've got to push hard to succeed. There really is no time to lose for them.

iOS 7 is an opportunity for Microsoft. Here Apple has taken it's 'we know what you want better than you do' philosophy to ridiculous levels. Jony Ive is the absolute epitome of this, and it's not going to fly in software design, especially when his take on iOS is an inconsistent mess. I'm sure it will be improved with time, but Apple has lost some of its good will with people who don't unconditionally love them. The time to strike back is now.

But Microsoft is too slow and too unprepared for this war. I don't know that they can ever be anything but a bit player moving forward.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If you believe that primary reason that people buy Apple products are because they are nothing more than iZombies and iSheep then you aren't seeing clearly what has transpired. I do see some people who buy the next iteration of Apple products. But... that isn't because they are mindless, but because they have had a track record of good experience with Apple products in the past...or know people who have. If you don't understand the power of customer satisfaction and customer loyalty then you won't understand they dynamics of consumerism... and are blind to your own pro-Microsoft bias.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Apple did the hard work of building customer loyalty. They didn't have the predatory monopolistic power that Microsoft had to get Windows preloaded on over 95% of PCs sold. Apple has gained moment from a loyal customer base. That's how it works. You aren't going to win friends and influence people by accusing the very people (who need to be convinced to buy Microsoft) of being mindless idiots. I see chinks in the Apple armor... a hubris that is starting to be revealed in their Post-Steve Jobs products. But Microsoft won't be able to take advantage of that if they continue on in their own arrogant ways of, "if we build it they will buy it because we're Microsoft dammit!".

Microsoft needs to build customer loyalty... particularly within the Surface customer base. So far they've poked a thumb in the eye of every RT purchaser who bought it at the original price. They've not offered anything to say "thank you" for buying an unproven product from a company with a poor track record of supporting their consumer products.

They don't need to do anything for me, I bought the $199 RT/TouchCover bundle... that's all that it is worth to me. But there are others who paid well over $500 for that.

You claim "everyone praising Apple" for iOS 7. That is hardly the reality of the situation. The Apple-centric forums are overflowing with the peasants armed with pitchforks and torches storming Cupertino because of the pitiful quality of iOS7 and the cartoonish "Fisher-Price My First Smartphone" looks.

I reiterate that Apple does indeed make fine products. While OS X looks rather bland, I have always admired the very clean and polish look on some of the more recent generation Macbook Airs. Also, as I said before, Apple has in the past been a leading innovator. While lately they've been getting more stale, we mustn't forget if it weren't for Apple, the home PC might not exist. Until Apple introduced the iPhone, smartphones were just thought of as business devices, not a consumer products. Without the iPad, the tablet market would've been doomed to stay little niche devices that would never gain more than a 3% market share, and that's being optimistic.

I did perhaps come across as a bit cynical, but I do believe in having choice. I like the idea of people being able to choose what's best for them (one disappointing thing about Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8: we don't get as much choice in that past [I.E: user selected defaults, OS is now more locked down for security, etc.]). My biggest gripe with Apple is just how annoying some of the fanboys are. If you can tell me a legitimate reason why iOS is best for you, I'll let you go in peace. I still want you to grab a Windows Phone, of course, but I can respect your decision.

It's just that 90% of the people who own iPhones I know, when I ask them why they bought it, they're response is: "Well you know, because it's the best phone out there."

Me, "Oh really? Care to explain why you have that opinion?"

"Well, you know, because they're just the best. They've got the best camera and fastest phones and stuff. You know, they're just... Apple."

I'm entirely genuine in that's pretty much the response I get. Now for someone who can explain, "I've got lots of money invested in the iTunes ecosystem, with all my music, movies and podcasts on there. Plus, iCloud just seamlessly syncs things across my iPhone and Macbook Air, and I've yet to incur any major hardware or software problems," then I can respect them.

So I'll agree I can across a bit paranoid and cynical, but we mustn't forget how many people just buy Apple without actually considering their purchase, just because they have some inexplicable draw to it. When I got my iPad, I was in love, fully expecting to make the iPhone 4S my first smartphone. Then months later, I saw some early versions of Windows 8, and was very intrigued. But of course, it was a long ways off, so I ignored it and pressed on my iPhone 4S campaign.

But then I saw the Lumia 900 go on sale, and instantly recognized it as the same Metro UI found in Windows 8. After some quick research, I was sold, and happily bought my first smartphone: The Nokia Lumia 900, and I've never looked back. I like it because the OS is fast, smooth and stable. It looks clean and modern, and SkyDrive integration is luxurious. I got a Lumia 1020 a few months ago because it has an amazing camera, and the benefits of WP8 over WP7 are not to be ignored. I'm soon going to be buying a Surface Pro 2 because I still have a few legacy programs I'd like to run, plus that Wacom stylus looks awesome for note taking and document mark up. The kickstand is kickass, and it's running Windows 8, and interface that I love.

The biggest gripes I have with both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is lack of apps. It's improving, but we still have a long ways to go. There's also the fact some basic OS functionality has yet to be introduced, such as a notification center, separate sound profiles, improved NFC, proper fix for Other Storage, and many others. I personally am willing to look past that, however, because I just love the interface and functionality, Nokia has always made awesome devices, and Microsoft seems to know how to make a well designed tablet.

See? I've been able to justify my reasoning for being a Microsoft ******. And if you like Android or iOS, then that's fine, I just want a reason for it, rather than you following the rest of the herd without putting any thought into what you want out of your device.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bit harsh to call Apple fans "iZombies" or "iSheep". Maybe some of them are, but Apple has earned their reputation. Let me tell you something; Apple users put up with a lot less bugs & niggles than WP users do! The way some users here are all about Microsoft makes it appear like it's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not any more of an Apple fan than I am a Microsoft fan, so I'm in the middle here. But the way I see it the fanboys of each are roughly similar.

I use both Windows Phones and iPhone. I much prefer the WP over the iPhone except for one thing, and that one thing is unfortunately a deal breaker. Its functionality is crippled by an immature OS with a very poor app ecosystem to back it up.

Microsoft came into its fortunes with Windows & Office products, which is still its bread & butter. Just because those products are the best and most popular doesn't mean all of Microsoft's products are the best in their respective divisions. Their mobile division has been a big money pit. Separate that from the rest of Microsoft, and I bet they would've been out of business a long time ago. Interestingly enough, it was reported here that Microsoft spent more on marketing the Surface RT than the total revenue ended up being. (The number is somewhat deceptive though because the marketing budget included Windows 8, not just the RT). MS produced, by rough estimates, 8 million Surface RTs, and sold 25% of them. Their 3 year old WP's market share is still around 4% worldwide. Apple & Google each sell many times the amount of smartphones & tablets that Microsoft does.

I actually wonder why Microsoft keeps with the mobile world. Do they see it as the paradigm of the future, so much so that they wouldn't be able to survive on Windows & Office? 90% of computers worldwide run Windows, and virtually every business in the world uses Office. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I would think Microsoft could concentrate on what they're good at, the PC world, and leave the mobile world to Apple & Google, who proved that they're good at it.

Was Microsoft expecting a better reception to their mobile products? Buying Nokia proves that they're in it for the long haul, but if something doesn't change soon I would see the stockholders becoming involved.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It funny how the whole debate is Microsoft vs Apple, when in reality the battle around me is more Apple/Microsoft vs Android. I don't hear many debates in my technology career, most users like both but have a preference...thats all. Its the Android fans that step in and battle out using market share and rooting...funny world.

slowboy920

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a good idea for Microsoft to start building hardware due to the fact that their partners were not building anything worth while. People have been accustomed to the cheap hardware produced by their partners and now that Microsoft and other partners are charging more for their products for higher quality products. Apple on the other hand has had total control of their products and does good job with quality control. As others have stated, Microsoft see this as an issue and wants to push its partners to build better products. The good thing about the US is that you can challenge anyone no matter how big or small. Apple is the prime example

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a bit harsh to call Apple fans "iZombies" or "iSheep". Maybe some of them are, but Apple has earned their reputation. Let me tell you something; Apple users put up with a lot less bugs & niggles than WP users do! The way some users here are all about Microsoft makes it appear like it's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not any more of an Apple fan than I am a Microsoft fan, so I'm in the middle here. But the way I see it the fanboys of each are roughly similar.

I use both Windows Phones and iPhone. I much prefer the WP over the iPhone except for one thing, and that one thing is unfortunately a deal breaker. Its functionality is crippled by an immature OS with a very poor app ecosystem to back it up.

Microsoft came into its fortunes with Windows & Office products, which is still its bread & butter. Just because those products are the best and most popular doesn't mean all of Microsoft's products are the best in their respective divisions. Their mobile division has been a big money pit. Separate that from the rest of Microsoft, and I bet they would've been out of business a long time ago. Interestingly enough, it was reported here that Microsoft spent more on marketing the Surface RT than the total revenue ended up being. (The number is somewhat deceptive though because the marketing budget included Windows 8, not just the RT). MS produced, by rough estimates, 8 million Surface RTs, and sold 25% of them. Their 3 year old WP's market share is still around 4% worldwide. Apple & Google each sell many times the amount of smartphones & tablets that Microsoft does.

I actually wonder why Microsoft keeps with the mobile world. Do they see it as the paradigm of the future, so much so that they wouldn't be able to survive on Windows & Office? 90% of computers worldwide run Windows, and virtually every business in the world uses Office. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I would think Microsoft could concentrate on what they're good at, the PC world, and leave the mobile world to Apple & Google, who proved that they're good at it.

Was Microsoft expecting a better reception to their mobile products? Buying Nokia proves that they're in it for the long haul, but if something doesn't change soon I would see the stockholders becoming involved.

First off, I never said all Apple users are iSheep, I just meant that Apple has enough diehard fans that, should they release a 13" iPad, it will already sell millions on day 1. Of course not all of them are fanboys, and each OS has it own cult like people (I would consider myself very borderline, my mood for the day mostly determines how severe my ******-ism is), it's just that Apple seems to have the largest amount of them.

And Apple is far from being without bugs, seeing as they've had their fair share of bugs over the years. Heck, right now, the iPhone 5S is suffering from a Blue Screen of Death bug for many apps (oh, the irony). So to say Apple user don't have to suffer with bugs is totally false. Hell, iOS 5 suffered (and still does, seeing as the bug was only patched with iOS 6, so anyone running iOS 5 can still exploit this) an in app-purchase bug where you could use a proxy server set up by someone in Russia, then log in the Apple Store with completely fake, made-up-on-the-spot credentials, and get as many in app purchases you wanted for free.

And I'm genuinely curious, how is WP immature? I will agree there are a couple irritating things, such as lack of separate sound profiles, no notification center or quick access to common settings, but for the most part, it's a solid OS. The apps situation is a bit disappointing, but it's rapidly improving (right on par with initial Android's growth, which is very promising). Also, lest we not forget that Windows Phone is currently the fastest growing OS worldwide, and it's especially popular in places like India and Mexico.

And yes, the mobile division needs some work, but it started years behind the competitors, so it's come a long way in that time, no? Especially tablets, seeing as the Surface line-up is one of Microsoft's few ventures into hardware. The fact that on their first try they got so much right impresses me, and the second generation models only improve upon the first. They still could do with some more improvements (especially in pricing, not including the Touch and Type Covers is killing them), but considering how new they are to the market when compared to their competitors, not bad at all.

And yes, the Surface RT had meh sales, and Microsoft ordered far more to be produced than what was selling (the folks in Redmond apparently go too optimistic about it initially selling out), so due to all the extra inventory, they were out $900 million. Which is a bummer, because the Surface RT and Pro combined only made $853 million in revenue, and that's not even factoring in how much it cost them to produce the Pro units. So yes, a big failure. Hopefully they learned their lesson and won't produce far more than what's in demand.

As for the Windows Phone marketshare, it's actually up to 7% worldwide, I believe, and in many markets, it's actually higher (Mexico, it's 12%, and again I say, it's also popular in India). We musn't forget how late to the party Microsoft was, and I reiterate the fact that Windows Phone is currently the fastest growing mobile OS worldwide. We've got a ways to go, but it's catching on.

And why wouldn't Microsoft be investing themselves in mobile? Is it not obvious the computing landscape is shifting in that direction? Sure, Microsoft is dominant in the desktop category, but in 10 years, that category might not even exist anymore. All the rage is for phones and tablet, PC sales are down, while mobile devices are going nowhere but up. Microsoft has to take action now, and try to gain some presence in the mobile landscape. It's currently dominated by iOS and Android, if they waited before they pushed out a version of Windows optimized for touch, it would be too late. The time to act is now, Microsoft was planning for the future. And while it was met with poor reception, Microsoft didn't have much a choice if they wanted to stay in the game.

Microsoft is keeping up with what they're good at, by designing the Surface line-up for productivity. They can't just leave things to Apple and Google. Again, we're in a "Post-PC" era, PC sales are only going to go down, mobile is only going to go up. If Microsoft doesn't get into mobile, they'll be extinct when the last PC is finally sold.

I'm glad Microsoft bought Nokia. Nokia has shown true dedication and devotion to Windows Phone, and now that soon enough both Nokia's hardware unit and Microsoft's software unit will be combined, they'll be able to push out even better products with even greater speed and efficiency. As you said, it proves Microsoft is in this for the long haul, which only makes sense. I'll say this one last time: Microsoft has to be in it for the long haul, because that's what the future is, mobile devices. So, read this last part in a Steve Ballmer voice: Mobile, mobile, mobile!!!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
People are getting a little overly dramatic for a product that hasn't even been released yet. You can hold off on your MS and Surface obituaries for the time being. I remember the MB Air was supposed to make the traditional laptop obsolete but it never happened. If they do release a 13" hybrid it will only cannibalize sales of their own products most likely.

And i do think that Apple fans have the herd mentality more than MS fans or Google fans. Most people I know who are Apple fans will buy the latest Apple product even though they have the previous version of the same thing. If you put an Apple logo on a turd they'll rave on about how great of a product it really is.

So let's see - Apple copied much of the metro style, Apple want to get into the hybrid game (MS there already), Apple want an OS for both mobile and desktop (see Windows 8)... so who is really ahead in the game right now?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
*Sigh*

Can it run 4 very heavy games at the same time without any FPS loss?

That's a gaming rig for you.

I think it's enough of a benchmark to say that multiple instances of Visual Studio run smoothly on my PC...

Btw, seriously love the Intel i5 Haswell, I've become spoiled with the non-existence of lag 😃

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I do find it occasionally frustrating how limited Windows RT is. I really hope we start seeing Metro versions of things that would traditionally be on t he desktop in the near future as that would considerably improve the value of Windows RT... Or better yet, make it possible to turn off the requirement for a Microsoft signature on all code that runs.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I do find it occasionally frustrating how limited Windows RT is. I really hope we start seeing Metro versions of things that would traditionally be on t he desktop in the near future as that would considerably improve the value of Windows RT... Or better yet, make it possible to turn off the requirement for a Microsoft signature on all code that runs.
And that is why you use RDP.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You know I got that to work once many months ago, but now for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to connect to my laptop through my Surface. Do I need to forward a port and connect via my external IP? I there some kind of security feature that needs to be disabled? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Both machines are set to allow remote connections...

Edit: Oh, I don't have Windows 8 Pro on here... Crap.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte