Microsoft should be afraid of a 13" iPad

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You know I got that to work once many months ago, but now for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to connect to my laptop through my Surface. Do I need to forward a port and connect via my external IP? I there some kind of security feature that needs to be disabled? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Both machines are set to allow remote connections...

Edit: Oh, I don't have Windows 8 Pro on here... Crap.

You can use RDP, you'll need to port forward if you're going to access the remote computer from a remote location.

OR, you can use TeamViewer. TeamViewer makes everything so much easier :D

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Toshiba was bringing the 13" Excite (I believe it was called) to market and all the reviews said it was too big, looked ridiculous etc. Now they're all wet because Apple may bring the Ipad on steroids to market. The iPad to me is getting a little long in the tooth, as well as all things Apple. I owned plenty of Apple stuff in the past and it's been replaced by Android and now Windows. I think Apple will be playing catch up in the near future.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I remember when Toshiba was bringing the 13" Excite (I believe it was called) to market and all the reviews said it was too big, looked ridiculous etc. Now they're all wet because Apple may bring the Ipad on steroids to market. The iPad to me is getting a little long in the tooth, as well as all things Apple. I owned plenty of Apple stuff in the past and it's been replaced by Android and now Windows. I think Apple will be playing catch up in the near future.
Hey man, it's Apple so it's the cat's meow according to the media!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, it's Apple so it's the cat's meow according to the media!

Precisely. It doesn't matter whether Apple improved upon anything or not, as long as it bears an Apple logo, it's successful 95% of the time (Apple has had a couple flops, but those are mere specks of paint on an otherwise white canvas). It's really annoying. Apple makes fine products and all, but I just hate how so many people mindlessly follow them without thought. I have no issue with Apple making the nice, high quality products it does, but rather, its cult like following.

To be honest, I sometimes feel the only reason things like the Surface and other Windows gear isn't a runaway success is because it's Windows and not Apple.

I swear, if you just put an Apple logo on every Surface, Windows 8 device, Xbox One, Windows Phone, etc., people wouldn't be able to get enough, and be buying into the millions without complaint or hesitation.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This hybrid model has yet to take off, but Apple already has an army of iZombies are their command, eagerly awaiting their next command from their leader. Sure, for now they all scoff at how ridiculous the notion of a hybrid is, hence their aversion to fine products like the Surface, but the second Tim Cook unveils this supposed hybrid, all bets are off. Everyone will instantly suffer amnesia, and rush out to buy this en masse.

LOL. Perfect description. I remember when iOS didn't have multitasking (that's right... remember? IT DIDN'T HAVE MULTITASKING before iOS 4, except for music, and unless you did a jailbreak) and a huge number of iOS sheep were literally saying that it was a good thing. That multitasking used too much battery, that it distracted the average user etc, and shouldn't be standard on the iPhone.
Of course, once iOS 4 came out with multitasking, it was IMPOSSIBLE to be without it. How could anyone say that multitasking wasn't needed, if a phone didn't have it it was worthless etc.

Moral of the story, like the above quote says, all bets are off. Are the mindless Apple followers starting to come out of their Black Sleep after the death of Jobs yet? If so, the future of a hybrid device might be uncertain. But if they're still in the trance, I'd say it's a good bet that it will be a success.

Or maybe a Macbook Wheel? Love this parody. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
LOL. Perfect description. I remember when iOS didn't have multitasking (that's right... remember? IT DIDN'T HAVE MULTITASKING before iOS 4, except for music, and unless you did a jailbreak) and a huge number of iOS sheep were literally saying that it was a good thing. That multitasking used too much battery, that it distracted the average user etc, and shouldn't be standard on the iPhone.
Of course, once iOS 4 came out with multitasking, it was IMPOSSIBLE to be without it. How could anyone say that multitasking wasn't needed, if a phone didn't have it it was worthless etc.

Moral of the story, like the above quote says, all bets are off. Are the mindless Apple followers starting to come out of their Black Sleep after the death of Jobs yet? If so, the future of a hybrid device might be uncertain. But if they're still in the trance, I'd say it's a good bet that it will be a success.

Or maybe a Macbook Wheel? Love this parody. :)

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard - YouTube

I remember watching that on The Onion a few months ago (they truly are America's finest news source, more accurate than iCNET, that's for sure). HILARIOUS! Sad part is, I feel if Apple did unveil something like that, at least 20% of users would rush out to buy it day 1 and praise it for being innovative and revolutionary. :p

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I remember watching that on The Onion a few months ago (they truly are America's finest news source, more accurate than iCNET, that's for sure). HILARIOUS! Sad part is, I feel if Apple did unveil something like that, at least 20% of users would rush out to buy it day 1 and praise it for being innovative and revolutionary. :p
Instead of indulging your anti-Apple fantasies, why not deal with what is actually being reported to support your bias?

Here's an article that Apple releasing a 12" macbook would actually "redefine laptop computing"....
Apple Is Working On A 12-Inch MacBook That Will 'Redefine Laptop Computing' - Yahoo Finance

THAT is a legitimate example of Apple's reality-distortion field at work... no need to make up hypotheticals.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Instead of indulging your anti-Apple fantasies, why not deal with what is actually being reported to support your bias?

Here's an article that Apple releasing a 12" macbook would actually "redefine laptop computing"....
Apple Is Working On A 12-Inch MacBook That Will 'Redefine Laptop Computing' - Yahoo Finance

THAT is a legitimate example of Apple's reality-distortion field at work... no need to make up hypotheticals.

If it's Apple-bashing videos you want, this is the best of all time.

MadTV - iPad - YouTube

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I was merely indulging in some humor in response to a humorous video. It would take a true ***** to buy such a product (which I why I love The Onion).

Anyways, about that article you linked to, is that legit? I'm kinda confused when reading it, a 12" Macbook Air with the productivity of a 13" Air, yet the portability of a 11" Air, what? I'm very confused, is that meant to be satire or is that serious reporting? If that's serious, then kudos to Apple for getting people to believe such a thing, that right there is impressive.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple does deserve to be made fun of on some level, but so does Microsoft. Microsoft's negative perception is mostly their own doing, and they are a disorganized mess of a company for the moment. But Microsoft has my support simply because they have taken a large, but necessary risk and actually managed to produce some unique and truly innovative products. Prior to this Windows has been my de facto OS of choice mostly because I could run all of my games on it, and it was reasonably customizable.

Apple deserves respect though. If we set aside the obvious failings of iOS 7 for a moment, Apple has produced consistently high quality hardware for over a decade running software that is smooth, user-friendly and stable. There has been stagnation in recent years, and iOS 7 isn't quite the revolution they want us to think it is, but the quality remains top-tier. If they decide to enter a new market it's not going to be a half-baked entry. It's going to be great hardware and everything about it is going to be designed well for the type of use it's intended for.

I can understand disliking Apple. There are legitimate reasons for that. But you've got to at least respect them. Apple is not evil, but they do pose a threat to the future of Microsoft in the mobile space. Google does too.

Microsoft needs to respect and understand this threat in order to compete, and so do we if we want to support them. Hating on Apple is not helpful and just makes us look bad, and if you do want to be critical of them, do so in a constructive way.

By the way, I'm really happy to see all the discussion here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple does deserve to be made fun of on some level, but so does Microsoft. Microsoft's negative perception is mostly their own doing, and they are a disorganized mess of a company for the moment. But Microsoft has my support simply because they have taken a large, but necessary risk and actually managed to produce some unique and truly innovative products. Prior to this Windows has been my de facto OS of choice mostly because I could run all of my games on it, and it was reasonably customizable.

Apple deserves respect though. If we set aside the obvious failings of iOS 7 for a moment, Apple has produced consistently high quality hardware for over a decade running software that is smooth, user-friendly and stable. There has been stagnation in recent years, and iOS 7 isn't quite the revolution they want us to think it is, but the quality remains top-tier. If they decide to enter a new market it's not going to be a half-baked entry. It's going to be great hardware and everything about it is going to be designed well for the type of use it's intended for.

I can understand disliking Apple. There are legitimate reasons for that. But you've got to at least respect them. Apple is not evil, but they do pose a threat to the future of Microsoft in the mobile space. Google does too.

Microsoft needs to respect and understand this threat in order to compete, and so do we if we want to support them. Hating on Apple is not helpful and just makes us look bad, and if you do want to be critical of them, do so in a constructive way.

We all need to laugh at ourselves and each other. This is a tech site not a cancer research facility. A little perspective is warranted.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I don't mean to suggest anything to the contrary. I'm just saying that we need to acknowledge that Microsoft has plenty of problems of its own that should not be overlooked, even if it's just by face-palming every time they do something silly or ham-handed and say "Oh, Microsoft..."

And with Apple there is plenty to make fun of, but we shouldn't pretend that Apple just does whatever they want with no regard for their own customers just to make a buck. Perhaps there is some cynicism at Apple, but I genuinely believe for the most part that anything they produce exists because they believe it has real value in people's lives.

In other words, it's fine and healthy to laugh a little but blind hatred, ill-informed opinions or dismissal of another group of people offhand is not good or helpful.

By the way, I'd like to put it on the record that I found that video by the Onion quite funny when it was made, and it reflected my feelings towards the iPad quite accurately. But there was more value in the iPad than I was able to see, and that's something I'll always remember.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I don't mean to suggest anything to the contrary. I'm just saying that we need to acknowledge that Microsoft has plenty of problems of its own that should not be overlooked, even if it's just by face-palming every time they do something silly or ham-handed and say "Oh, Microsoft..."

To some level i think majority of here can agree MS makes mistakes...some here are less likely to just buy whatever they throw at us...well thats the way i see things anyhow. Nothing against Apple but their consumer base is less likely to complain as much...

Both groups of users from a high level can be critical of their preferences. But the truth of the matter is a 13" iPad will sell much fast than a Surface Pro 2. People will to spend $1000 (assumption) on a consumption device?...that's out there

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

How many times must I say it? Apple makes fine products, and for many years, they were leading the charge in innovation. My biggest gripe with Apple is just how so many people mindlessly follow what Apple tells them.

I loved my iPad while I had it, but then as soon as I saw Windows 8, I was hooked. Then once I saw my first Windows Phone (the Lumia 900), I instantly recognized it as the same beautiful UI as Windows 8 (which, since this was mid-2012, wasn't commercially available yet, mind you), I fell in love and haven't looked back.

Apple's products are very nice, I especially love the design of their Macbook Airs (a very clean and polish aluminum, if only it was running Windows 8 with a touchscreen...), it just irks me how Apple managed to start the biggest cult of all time.

And I do recognize Microsoft does make mistakes. The Xbox One has to be one of the most confusing product unveilings ever, since the folks in Redmond keep backtracking and pulling 180s on everything. GDR3 FINALLY gave us the ability to force close apps without spamming the Back button, and FINALLY gave us rotation lock. Meanwhile, we're still waiting for easier access to frequent settings (yay, we finally get rotation lock, too bad it's buried in the settings), and a notification center, while I don't care much for it, would be nice, especially for those who need it. Plus, Microsoft's lack of including a Touch or Type Cover with Surface sales is ridiculous...EVERY Surface commercial and ad shows one, why the hell do you have to spend an extra $120+ for it?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I just posted an ad to sell my 5th Gen classic iPod 30gb with no cables or headphones for $65 (got a new nano, no need for it). I have never received so many requests in a short time...and I count, 9 replies in 2 hours lol. Holy crap, the thing is 7 years old...people really do love their Apple products.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just posted an ad to sell my 5th Gen classic iPod 30gb with no cables or headphones for $65 (got a new nano, no need for it). I have never received so many requests in a short time...and I count, 9 replies in 2 hours lol. Holy crap, the thing is 7 years old...people really do love their Apple products.

That's one thing, Apple products hold resell value for a really long time. Something to keep in mind when it's time for your next device purchase.

If you're like me, the improved user experience from the device itself outweighs the potential to make more $ back when I through with it, but others might disagree. But that's the great thing, ain't it? You get to chose what works best for you. I love open markets (well, kinda open market, still regulations, and for good reason).

ni28

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently went to a job interview with a very large computing organisation, I won't say which due to my own belief in whatever personal integrity I may or may not possess but I recall a manager doing nothing but trash Apple, saying that their products weren't going to hit their target markets, that they weren't for professionals, rather they were for casual users, etc.

Needless to say I was completely gobsmacked that such a large and relatively successful company would say that. Now, the point I'm trying to make with this is, Microsoft should be afraid of ANY innovation Apple, or otherwise, comes up with. I think the mentality you have of "what will their response be" is not the correct one to take, not from a technology organisation's point of view. Rather, I think the mentality should be, always know what your competition is up to, but rather respond to what they're doing, come up with something your competitor is truly afraid of.

Be the leader, not the follower, and in recent years, Microsoft has not been the leader.

Both companies tried their game at the tablet scene years and years ago (windows XP tablet edition anyone?). It doesn't matter who you target, if you have the right marketing, you could sell something people don't want or necessarily know they want!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99