Surface Mini: Will there be an RT and Pro Version?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

So do you think there will be two version one being RT and the other being full Windows?

I think this could be likely...

Last edited:

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it will just be a RT version, because they have to fit everything in a small device, and why should you want to run legacy programs on a that small screen? They will probably be unusable on a screen smaller than 10".

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it will just be a RT version, because they have to fit everything in a small device, and why should you want to run legacy programs on a that small screen? They will probably be unusable on a screen smaller than 10".

Dell going for it so I won't be ruling out if Microsoft not considering and there maybe a potential area.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is super impractical. I doubt they will make a pro version. But if they do. I think they should definitely make a dock for it so you could extend it easily and quickly extend it to a bigger screen. Fun on the go and able to work on the go if you need to. Then for serious work just dock it and work on the big screen. I think this would actually be a pretty cool device if it came with a Pen and the new Atom processor. It would tempt me to sell my Samsung Ativ Smart 500t tablet.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like an RT only Surface Mini. Really no need for full Windows on a mini.

While I would greatly prefer a Bay Trail in Surface Mini, as a "just in case" kind of thing, I agree that MS will likely NOT use Bay Trail.

The overriding factor, though, must be that it is up to MS to carry the torch for RT - they are the only ones doing it now. If they don't, RT truly IS dead.

Also, the 8" Bay Trail Win8.1 tablet market is appearing as if it is going to be relatively significant, and with all those OEMs making devices in that segment, MS likely does not want to compete with them (to not annoy the OEMs, and also because the Surface Mini might look bad by comparison)

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
A Pro version would be great.
Back when netbooks were 'hot' I got an EeePC with WinXP and 10" screen. It was perfectly fine.
With USB 3.0 support there are several docking stations that support dual external monitors. Toshiba has a good one which I am using now running dual 23" 1920 x 1080 monitors. Works great.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd like Pro and HDMI out so that I can connect to an external monitor for real Windows apps but I can use metro on the tablet.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The not so distant future of our computing devices is to be our do-everything device. It should be a fully powered machine capable of running any software we want. When we are on the go, it will be our phone and tablet. When we sit down at our desk it needs to be able to run our mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. So while I don't really need full pro in my little tablet today, it is simply the logical evolution. I'm looking forward to that. And also to the things I haven't even imagined yet.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
CNet has a recent article about the Surface Mini with WPDANG as a source. It talked about Full HD screen, and both a Bay Trail and Arm version. Also possibly Kinect like features. Not sure how valid all the info is.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
CNet has a recent article about the Surface Mini with WPDANG as a source. It talked about Full HD screen, and both a Bay Trail and Arm version. Also possibly Kinect like features. Not sure how valid all the info is.

do you happen to have a link to the article? I'd like to read it.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's an impressive concept, Christian. Can you share a photo of it in action with the monitors and links to what you used for the setup?

Also, which Toshiba tablet are using? How does it perform? I've been very impressed with Toshiba devices lately.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It's actually works really good. These are the parts/components in use:

Laptop (Ultrabook) : Toshiba Portege z935-P300 (Intel Core i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD)
Docking station : Toshiba dynadock U3.0 Universal USB 3.0 Docking Station - Toshiba
Monitors : Dual ACER LED 23" 5MS S231HLBBID R (1920x1080). One connected with HDMI and one with DVI-D
Keyboard/Mouse : Generic wired $20 combo
DVD burner : External Samsung USB 2.0 device

This is used for regular office work and mild 3D modeling and CAD running Blender + DesignCAD 3D MAX 23. The setup is not used for super high-end animation and rendering but so far it works well for what I do. The docking station does not support high-end 3D graphics such as gaming for example. Some have reported some lag using this but I haven't sensed any. This setup allows running the two external monitors together with the built-in 13" on the Ultrabook.
No pictures but this setup has been really great so far.

Wow, that's an impressive concept, Christian. Can you share a photo of it in action with the monitors and links to what you used for the setup?

Also, which Toshiba tablet are using? How does it perform? I've been very impressed with Toshiba devices lately.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
No, but it doesn't really matter to me as long as the Mini has pen input.

I think MS's strategy w/even the original Surface's was a little poor though. They should have gone
- 8" Surface RT
-10" Atom Surface
-11.6"/12.5" Surface Pro (this would also allow for a thinner design thanks to more space for the battery)

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, mostly because I think the RT version could be very cost friendly ($199-$250 range) while having the new Tegra K1 chipset. And then have a Pro that has full HD, wacom support, and HDMI in the $350 range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss