Amazon Prime Day dealsare live right now

12-29-2013 02:24 AM
83 ... 234
tools
    I have received my Tap 11 and have been playing it for a week now.

Man this is an absolutely gorgeous device! It just grows on me the more I use it. However I very nearly returned it on the first day as the bugginess of the software drivers and the upgrade to Windows 8.1 nearly gave me a brain tumour. I think I got the bugs sorted out now (more on that below).

What I like so far:

(i) the screen size is perfect. I had the Surface Pro and Tap 11 side by side at the store and it was a no brainer. I think the extra inch or so makes a dramatic difference to productivity, and is quite critical if you have aging eyes like me and want to increase the text font to 200% in desktop mode. I also think the extra screen space accomodates the onscreen keyboard better.

(ii) the form factor. I was using it on the train and it was light enough that my hands did not feel tired at all.

(iii) Speed: my Core i5 has not lagged yet, no problems with games and high quality videos so far. The Surface probably has better performance but I think the thickness-performance tradeoff is definitely worth it.

(iv) Kickstand: this is very well designed and built. Yes the Surface kickstand is better but the Vaio's is more sexy :)

(v) I got a free case from Sony during a local promotion. It fits nicely.

What I don't like:

(i) the speakers are rather average. I think it is not as good as my newish HP laptop with Beats Audio. I don't know how the ipad sounds so can't compare. I wonder if there is a software equaliser that we can download to beef up the bass?? The built in equaliser can only control volume.

(ii) keyboard: I encountered some of the known bugs, e.g. the keyboard locks out if you hold down a key. The only way to fix it is to reset the keyboard by turning it off and connecting it back to the screen, which is quite annoying. I ran into this issue while holding down the down arrow while working on a speadsheet. I think this is probably not critical unless one use it to play action games - that keyboard is really not heavy duty enough for hardcore pressing and pounding anyway... so hardcore games probably need to get another USB keyboard?

(iii) The trackpad is rather over-sensitive as well. Sometimes it goes abit haywire but I wonder if there is some way to adjust trackpad sensitivity in control panel.

(iv) ghost taps registered on screen on areas where I didn't press: this is more an issue when moving the tablet around while using it (or moving around while using the tablet!). I don't get this problem when using it sitting on the table.

(v) bugginess of software drivers: my tap 11 shipped with Windows 8. Windows 8.1 comes as a free upgrade and unfortunately some of Sony's drivers were not fully compatible. After upgrading my screen brightness control simply stopped working, and occasionally i had the start screen default to small tiles. I managed to fix these by turning off automatic screen brightness adjustment and downloading some new drivers.

To summarise: an excellent tablet experience once you get over the initial headaches and learn to work around the bugs!
    12-19-2013 11:36 AM
    (i) the speakers are rather average. I think it is not as good as my newish HP laptop with Beats Audio. I don't know how the ipad sounds so can't compare. I wonder if there is a software equaliser that we can download to beef up the bass?? The built in equaliser can only control volume.
    If you open up the Vaio Control Center (I think that's what it's called, either way it's the laptop looking icon pinned to the taskbar in Desktop by default I think) there are some Sony-made music enhancement options in there which you can fiddle around. There's like three preset values (off, enhanced for music, enhanced for video) plus a custom one - I never tried the custom one but the preset for "enhanced for music" and "enhanced for video" makes a pretty significant differences to the SQ coming out of the speakers, from memory I think the video setting has a massive U-shaped equalizer setting just listening by ear as it seems to boost both the treble and bass side of the frequency spectrum if that's what you are looking for, though I found the music preset more pleasant overall and the most generally usable setting (I think that is the present out of box anyway, so if you find it thin now, you probably want to try the video preset). And FWIW if you turn the enhancement off the speakers can sound really thin and tinny, to my ears anyway.
    12-19-2013 07:39 PM
    Thanks Houkoholic your suggestion works. I also hooked up the tablet to a portable bluetooth speaker today and the whole setup is now a stunning video player in my dining room :)

My only nitpick is that the screen is rather over-saturated and slightly on the warmer side to my eyes. Have any of you tried adjusting the colours and contrast? Do you use the Intel graphics properties software to do this or is there a Vaio control for this?

(The reason I am asking is that I am quite scared to mess with the Intel settings, given that my screen brightness control stopped working once which I presumed was an Intel driver issue.)
    12-22-2013 01:38 AM
    Go to the Vaio Center again and use the video (or screen) settings. Again Sony's build in some video enhancement option there and out of box the colour setting is set on "Vivid" hence you get the saturation feeling. I personally use "Natural", or you can turn it off completely.
    12-22-2013 09:20 PM
    I have received my Tap 11 and have been playing it for a week now.

(v) bugginess of software drivers: my tap 11 shipped with Windows 8. Windows 8.1 comes as a free upgrade and unfortunately some of Sony's drivers were not fully compatible. After upgrading my screen brightness control simply stopped working, and occasionally i had the start screen default to small tiles. I managed to fix these by turning off automatic screen brightness adjustment and downloading some new drivers.
    Hi Melte

Could you please post what drivers you have installed now? My Vaio Tap runs fine except for the very annoying DPI Issue (small tiles). I already installed the latest video driver from Intel, without success.

Thanks!
    12-23-2013 01:30 AM
    My Tap is not with me now over the xmas holidays. I am very certain though that I did not download any drivers from Intel. I ran the Vaio Update a few times and downloaded the drivers from there. Strangely enough I suspect that the Vaio Update app did not download all the latest drivers at once but rather does so in batches, so it would be advisable to use the app repeatedly on different occasions over a couple of days.
    I seem to have read somewhere on the forums that Sony customizes the drivers for its displays so I don't think it is advisable to download the drivers from Intel.

Another thing I did was to create a brand new Microsoft account after updating to Windows 8.1. That seemed to have solved a lot of issues for me because I suspect that whenever you create a new account, Microsoft resets all the Windows display settings to the factory default (as if "brand new").
    Last edited by melte; 12-23-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    12-23-2013 10:06 AM
    Nice to hear that the Vaio Update worked for you. It does not for me. I did a complete reset on my Tap and started over from the preinstalled Windows 8. Now I have two Updates in waiting Vaio Update which won't install (WLAN, Rescue data blah) and an iSCT Update that won't install either...

While I like the Vaio Tap 11, the software management is a complete mess and absolutely not acceptable for a premium product.
    12-24-2013 12:51 AM
    Thanks again Houkoholic. Your suggestion works.

One thing I noticed about the screen is that the luminosity decreases abit in the bottom-centre part of the screen.
    Not sure if there's any way to fix this but it seems only more evident at low brightness settings. I see another reviewer has picked this up:

Review Sony Vaio Tap 11 SVT-1121G4E/B Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Still a good display though. There is some glare but quite acceptable and typical for glossy panels. I wonder if any of you have tried any (anti-glare) screen protectors on it? I am interested in this anti-glare protector:

HHI Anti-Fingerprint, Anti-Glare, Matte Finished Screen Protector for Sony Vaio Tap 11
    12-29-2013 02:24 AM
83 ... 234