8.1 Update Lenovo Nightmare

wafflesxo

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Twist and started my 8.1 update earlier today. I had originally installed the 8.1 preview, but it was buggy with my screen orientation, so I decided to wait until the RC to install it again. Downloading started at about 2pm today and was done around 4:30. Understandably slow download, plus I have other people who use the wifi here, so no big qualms. First time around it froze up during the Gathering Info part of the install in the store.
After waiting an hour and a half, nothing changed. Computer was completely frozen, so I took a leap and manually restarted. Well, it booted back up no problem. I started the upgrade again and it immediately back to Gathering Info. The store part finished and it told me to reboot, so I did. Install went okay until it hit 84% on the preparing files screen and continued no further.
I went to the store for about an hour and came back to a BSOD. First restart had me on the Lenovo boot screen for about twenty minutes, second restart had me restored back to Windows 8 with a 0xc1900101-0x40017 error. Supposedly a clean install worked for some people during the preview who had this problem, but damn I don't want to do a clean install. =\ Anyone else have some bad experiences tonight?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Clean installs will always give you the best results. I am still downloading the update so I can't speak to this specific issue. That said, Lenovo seems to have plenty of issues in general when it comes to software (ie drivers, etc).

wafflesxo

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Clean installs will always give you the best results. I am still downloading the update so I can't speak to this specific issue. That said, Lenovo seems to have plenty of issues in general when it comes to software (ie drivers, etc).
Yeah it totally seems that way. I really wish I could figure out how to get a vanilla copy of Windows 8 onto this thing without buying a brand new copy. There is SO much bloat with the OEM copy it isn't even funny. I've got an upgrade license, but no full version license. Also worried that the ESRAM on the machine won't function properly without Lenovo's (albeit dysfunctional) drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99