Surface 2/Pro ifixit teardown vs 2013 Macbook pro 13/15 teardown bias

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else notice how all the tech blogs (engadget, gizmodo, etc.) collectively criticized the Surface 2 and Pro negatively for having a low reparability from iFixit, and yet when the new MacbookPro models score the same low score of 1, they spin it as a positive story? Here are some of the examples of spin I've enjoyed so far:

Headlines: They all mention surface 2/pro's low score of 1 in the headline, and use words like "nightmare". For the MacBook it's simply changed to "ifixit does MacBook teardown"

Screen, Battery, screws, Ram: Surface 2 and Pro were heavily criticized for the screen and digitizer being fused together, the battery being glued in, having many screws and the ram non replaceable. Surprise, surprise- these are all present in the new MacBook Pro models (and last years as well), and yet those points are barely mentioned, all while praising how those restrictions in preventing you from repairing your mac laptop or upgrading it will lead to better battery life.

Overall tone: I find it laughable that a tablet- a device not meant for consumer repairs or upgrades, gets excruciated by the tech press, while a laptop- a device typically meant to be user upgradeable and serviceable, not only scores the same 1 out of 10 on the repair scale (down from a 2 the previous year), but gets a pass simply because of a change in manufactures.

You would almost think there was a combined effort happening in the tech community to destroy the Surface series of tablets, but that would be paranoia.... maybe. Most these blogs are no longer just read by a core of readers, I often see them linked to or quoted on most major mainstream news sources.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The press just love anything Apple and spin it. Get used to it.

People with their own brains can compare feature tables and see the value the Surface brings to people like Students and Mobile Workers.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Please post the bias links ... it would be really visible then.

I've seen such attitude and honestly visible bias on TheVerge, cnet, Technobuffalo even (Jon Rettinger just made another video about surface pro that he likes it a bit better now) . I am not sure this attitude will change anytime soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs