11-19-2013 02:52 AM
78 1234
tools
    there is some truth to it. people are much more interested in tablets than another laptop, or desktop, computer. the old laptop/desktop still does what it did 3 years ago, so instead of spending $700 on a new (and not much better) laptop/desktop...

they buy a tablet instead.

the tablet is extremely portable, has a very good picture/video capability, gps, wifi, and does a lot of things their normal laptop/desktop used to do.

it's not that this is an ipad thing, it's a -mobile- thing. see through the bias of my OS of choice vs your OS of choice vs their OS of choice, and enjoy the incredibly cheap, portable hardware available, right now.
    I agree when you say that for some, tablets are indeed replacement if their needs are basic, but that said tech reviewers and analysts are expected to give a fair unbiased writeups and not like fan boys, delibrately hiding stuff to favor a particular product.
    11-01-2013 12:55 PM
    while I don't disagree with your experience, I would like to point out that you still have IOS 6, whereas numerous people I know who have IOS 7 have said that it kills their battery ;)
    Let me help you with that...How to Stop Your Battery from Draining After Updating to iOS 7 (iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch) iOS softModder
    11-01-2013 12:55 PM
    while I don't disagree with your experience, I would like to point out that you still have IOS 6, whereas numerous people I know who have IOS 7 have said that it kills their battery ;)
    Good point. There have been too many horror stories about 7 that will keep me at 6 for as long as I own the device.
    11-01-2013 01:05 PM
    I thought drugs were illegal but its clear these analysts are high. Tell them to put down the pipe!
    11-01-2013 01:13 PM
    I agree when you say that for some, tablets are indeed replacement if their needs are basic, but that said tech reviewers and analysts are expected to give a fair unbiased writeups and not like fan boys, delibrately hiding stuff to favor a particular product.

reviewers are getting closer to paid shills by the day. i'd much rather see what the first 10,000 people say that buy a product on amazon, that -one- persons 20 second video impression of a device.

that being said, the fanboys are just a minor annoyance. it's easy to see through it normally.
    christenmartin likes this.
    11-01-2013 02:47 PM
    Surface 2>iPad air
    Lumia 2520>iPad Air
    Surface Pro 2>all iProducts combined
    11-01-2013 02:52 PM
    I have an Ipad 2, it works great as a decoration on my coffee table to show everyone how hipster I am, but when just browsing the internet or doing anything else I will use my laptop - Faster, easier, bigger screen, rests on the lap rather than havign to hold it, easily type, blah blah blah - tablets are not going to beat out laptops. Ipad is good for about the same as my e-ink kindle, for reading, not a whole lot else.
    11-01-2013 02:55 PM
    Surface 2>iPad air
    Lumia 2520>iPad Air
    Surface Pro 2>all iProducts combined
    while we're at it ;)

Toyota > Nokia
    Cisco > KRAFT foods
    ohgood likes this.
    11-01-2013 05:33 PM
    I don't know about you, but I am not typing up a 3-page paper on an iPad. That would be horrendous. Also, congratulations on having one of the few printers with airprint. Most people don't have that.
    To be fair, you don't need an AirPrint-compatible printer. I have PrinterShare on my work iPhone and iPad. It will print to any network printer but it's limited to Gmail only for email printing. PDFs, documents and photos print with no problems. I prefer KumoPrint on WP because I can print when I'm away from my office to a Google connected printer.

Not trying to stoke any fires, but fair is fair.
    ohgood and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-01-2013 07:32 PM
    while we're at it ;)

Toyota > Nokia
    Cisco > KRAFT foods
    Tastes great > Less filling
    xandros9 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-01-2013 07:33 PM
    So I stopped by my local carrier and got a chance to test out the iPad Air....hmmmm ok, cool but im not drooling...its an iPad...nothing revolutionary. Anyway what I found very odd is just like any place the device is plugged in and always charging...having only been plugged in for less than 24 hrs the device was boiling hot...so hot I could barely hold it for a few seconds. I've tested past iPads and never experienced this...doesnt anyone else find this weird? If the device is fully charged, shouldn't it stop charging or cool down if its idle? My Pro 2 has never gotten this hot, even plugged in fully charged hours after.
    11-01-2013 09:06 PM
    So I stopped by my local carrier and got a chance to test out the iPad Air....hmmmm ok, cool but im not drooling...its an iPad...nothing revolutionary. Anyway what I found very odd is just like any place the device is plugged in and always charging...having only been plugged in for less than 24 hrs the device was boiling hot...so hot I could barely hold it for a few seconds. I've tested past iPads and never experienced this...doesnt anyone else find this weird? If the device is fully charged, shouldn't it stop charging or cool down if its idle? My Pro 2 has never gotten this hot, even plugged in fully charged hours after.
    I think they had that problem with the iPad 3. Something to do with the HD screen.
    11-01-2013 10:39 PM
    Surface Pro 2 is a "small" laptop replacement, note the 10.6" screen. Most people buy laptops in the 13-17" size.
    11-02-2013 01:51 AM
    Surface Pro 2 is a "small" laptop replacement, note the 10.6" screen. Most people buy laptops in the 13-17" size.
    Surface Pro / 2 specs falls into the Ultrabook category, but it isn't 13"+.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    11-02-2013 03:40 AM
    Has anyone seen the new iPad Air commercials? They don't bother showing off any features other than the fact that it hides behind a pencil

And people would say that MS didn't show off product features in their ads...
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-04-2013 11:09 AM
    Has anyone seen the new iPad Air commercials? They don't bother showing off any features other than the fact that it hides behind a pencil

apple at this point doesnt need to show of features their name itself is selling, however this is not the case with WP, so yes Ms still needs to show off the product features.
    11-04-2013 01:38 PM
    I've been playing with the Air for the past couple days, and honestly there's nothing special. Same old iPad but for once, the build quality is quite awesome! It is very sturdy feeling and generally well distributed weight wise. IOS did hiccup on me multiple times (and I only used them for a brief moment at a time just to turn it off to put screen protectors on them). But as always, its still just an iPad. Nothing revolutionary, just thinner and lighter.
    11-04-2013 01:45 PM
    The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.
    Personally I do have to agree that 4:3 is the better aspect ratio for the web, email, ebooks, etc...however the 16:9 ratio of the Surface is superior for multitasking. With 4:3 I can't realistically have 2 applications side-by-side and I never realized how awesome that is on a tablet until I got a Surface. It really is a killer feature and requires the 16:9 aspect rather than the 4:3.
    11-07-2013 07:28 PM
    The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.
    Personally I do have to agree that 4:3 is the better aspect ratio for the web, email, ebooks, etc...however the 16:9 ratio of the Surface is superior for multitasking. With 4:3 I can't realistically have 2 applications side-by-side and I never realized how awesome that is on a tablet until I got a Surface. It really is a killer feature and requires the 16:9 aspect rather than the 4:3.
    techiez likes this.
    11-07-2013 07:29 PM

Ya I think their basically cash it in on features. Going all on in with the art side of it. They really don't need to say much about features, it's always the same.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    11-07-2013 08:58 PM
    Ya I think their basically cash it in on features. Going all on in with the art side of it. They really don't need to say much about features, it's always the same.
    recently a friend asked me which iteration of ipad was this ipad air, i said 4th, n later realized it was 5th, basically after ipad2, the new ipad & ipad 4 came and now ipad air I dont see much upgrade happening over previous devices, why do they bother releasing it even
    11-08-2013 10:36 PM
    recently a friend asked me which iteration of ipad was this ipad air, i said 4th, n later realized it was 5th, basically after ipad2, the new ipad & ipad 4 came and now ipad air I dont see much upgrade happening over previous devices, why do they bother releasing it even
    At this point in the life cycle of the iPad line, Apple is now in "cynical money-grab" mode. They can pretty much guarantee that they will sell "x" million units when they release a new generation of iPad regardless of the specs. I don't blame them, that is part of the fruits of their labor. However, they need to be careful to not dip too frequently or too often or they run the risk of people wising up to their motive.

The iPad 4 that I purchased 6 months ago will most likely be the last iPad I buy. Microsoft's Surface is my last hope before holding my nose and settling for an Android tablet as my primary go-to mobile device.
    techiez likes this.
    11-09-2013 11:03 AM
    I agree that it is good business the problem is the tech reviews still promote it a cutting edge. Of course apple does why wouldn't they. You have the game figured out buy the last years model for half the price , its the same. So far the surface has exceeded my expectations. If it had the limitations that I have found in tablet use (lack of functionality but great for watching a movies!) it would have gone back.
    techiez likes this.
    11-09-2013 12:23 PM
    Also keep in mind that "the masses" aren't very tech savvy. And for those people who don't multitask, don't do graphically intensive computer work, and don't do much beyond surfing the web, yes, the iPad is perfect for them. I just wish the consumer recognized that if you need more from a computer, get PC. But Microsoft isn't synonymous with sexy technology yet. Give then time.
    11-15-2013 07:00 PM
    I think the main reason tablets (iPad or otherwise) are selling so much more than laptops is because of their "target audience"
    When do you ever see parents buy laptops as a gift or toy for their kid in grade school? I remember 4-5 years ago when I was in highschool, most classes wouldnt even allow you to bring a laptop or any electronic device (ahem phones) because they were "distractions" and unnecessary.

But now since tablets are cheaper, easier to use, and seen as a "cool toy" by some, they appeal to a massive age range.

Anyway, articles like this dont really bother me. Its the people who only read and understand one side of the story and then go and tell me I should've bought an iPad instead of my SP2 *facepalm*
    11-16-2013 12:28 AM
78 1234