Latest BS: Ipad air competes with laptops

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with this article?

"I'm convinced that the iPad Air is the perfect personal computer for the masses," asserted Ben Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies, in a post to his firm's Techpinions.com website Tuesday. "The iPad has become as versatile as any personal computer on the market."

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Haha! Suddenly the iPad is more versatile even though it has the same limited software. And it hasn't even been released yet!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
What's wrong with this article?
Virtually the entire thing.

The iPad Air introduces a 64-bit processor, 29% lighter, 20% thinner... and THOSE are the things, according to the author is what put the iPad over the top to now be a viable replacement for a laptop. That is simply not true. He also makes mention of iWorks being free. iOS iWorks is so simplistic that it is virtually unusable for anything other than the most basic tasks. So much so, that Apple released an update to OSX iWorks that is greatly reduced in functionality so as to make interoperation viable.

There has been no improvements in the iPad line that has drawn it closer to being a laptop replacement. From a hardware perspective, still very limited connection choices. From an OS perspective with everything being sandboxed, prevents it from being a viable laptop replacement. Limited printing still is something that iOS fans overlook.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
When they talk about iPads replacing laptops in terms of using it for things like email, web browsing, social media, basic productivity, then duh - of course. That's just tablets doing exactly what tablets were designed to do. It's just the logical evolution of how people do basic computing tasks now, so of course people now do less of that on a traditional laptop.

When they talk about iPads replacing ALL of a laptop's capabilities, that's something entirely different though. There are too many capabilities, ports, and management capabilities missing to replace how laptops are used for more powerful productivity tasks. That is, after all, why Apple just released yet again new MacBooks. They even acknowledge the iPads limitations in this regard.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
"I'm convinced that the iPad Air is the perfect personal computer for the masses," asserted Ben Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies, in a post to his firm's Techpinions.com website Tuesday. "The iPad has become as versatile as any personal computer on the market."

yes spot on. thats what is wrong with that article

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

What i find funny is the battery life won by iPad Air....without any specifics or tests performed. YET, Engadget at least ran some proper comparisons with times...and S2 came out on top. Any of you with a S2 only get 6-8 hours??...iPad Air review

Tablet Battery Life
iPad Air (LTE) 13:45
Microsoft Surface 2 14:22
Apple iPad mini 12:43 (WiFi)
Apple iPad (late 2012) 11:08 (WiFi)
Apple iPad 2 10:26

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.
It's not complete BS. In my experiences, it is truthful. The fact that they deliberately ignored videos and movies simply means that they were attempting to appear to be unbiased... which, (by omitting references to videos and movies) they ended up failing.

It wasn't a good comparison, but it wasn't the worst.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
"In our testing it managed between six and eight hours per charge."

Are they serious?! Six hours? They must have been testing the Surface Pro 2.

Ya that is suspect. Mine lasts all day no problem. Actually I can go a day and a half no problem. These type of reviews have been going on for as long as I've been paying attention. I guess everyone has there favorites. I love the price comparison. The problem is they're comparing a 32g S2 with the 16g iPad.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.

That is wierd since I can't think of a magazine that has a 4:3 ratio. If that was the best for reading you would think the print world (books, mags, etc) would use it.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Virtually the entire thing.

The iPad Air introduces a 64-bit processor, 29% lighter, 20% thinner... and THOSE are the things, according to the author is what put the iPad over the top to now be a viable replacement for a laptop. That is simply not true. He also makes mention of iWorks being free. iOS iWorks is so simplistic that it is virtually unusable for anything other than the most basic tasks. So much so, that Apple released an update to OSX iWorks that is greatly reduced in functionality so as to make interoperation viable.

There has been no improvements in the iPad line that has drawn it closer to being a laptop replacement. From a hardware perspective, still very limited connection choices. From an OS perspective with everything being sandboxed, prevents it from being a viable laptop replacement. Limited printing still is something that iOS fans overlook.

64-Bit Processor, yet it doesnt even have enough RAM to utilize that...its a gimmick.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That is wierd since I can't think of a magazine that has a 4:3 ratio. If that was the best for reading you would think the print world (books, mags, etc) would use it.
It might be a geographical thing. Here in the U.S. most documents and magazines are in roughly a 4:3 AR. A 16:9 AR is reserved for brochures and pamplets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss