Latest BS: Ipad air competes with laptops

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
64-Bit Processor, yet it doesnt even have enough RAM to utilize that...its a gimmick.
I agree. Anandtech projected that the 64-bit processor would consume 20-30% more RAM given the same apps (due to its 64-bitness) so in a very real sense, the iPad Air offers LESS RAM than the iPad 4. (All that makes me feel even more comfortable with my decision to buy a 64GB iPad 4 six months ago and keep it at iOS 6.1.3 for the long haul)

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
*YAWN* For those of us who use iWork, it doesn't matter what Microsoft Office does or doesn't have. I used Word since the 3.1 days and have Office 2003 and could easily get the latest version. However, all I ever had to EVER do is write papers, and its easily done in Pages with no issues. I know Word is more robust, but I haven't touched it since 2004 and haven't needed to.

That said, neither the Surface Pro nor an iPad is a laptop replacement for me. The screens are too small, and I just hate the idea of trying to render a 3D modeled scene on a machine that small.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm not even going to give them the click they want, but the general premise is fair. Most users only operate in the "general" area of computing, browsing the web and using things like Facebook. ARM tablets will fill this role for most folks, and it's possible that Apple's productivity apps and a keyboard case can be enough for folks to create the occasional spreadsheet or .doc file. No, iPads aren't CLOSE to being what x86 PCs are. No, I would not EVER get an ARM tablet, unless x86 literally goes away and ARM is the only option left. For general purposes though, an ARM machine can do the majority of things people want.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm not even going to give them the click they want, but the general premise is fair. Most users only operate in the "general" area of computing, browsing the web and using things like Facebook. ARM tablets will fill this role for most folks, and it's possible that Apple's productivity apps and a keyboard case can be enough for folks to create the occasional spreadsheet or .doc file. No, iPads aren't CLOSE to being what x86 PCs are. No, I would not EVER get an ARM tablet, unless x86 literally goes away and ARM is the only option left. For general purposes though, an ARM machine can do the majority of things people want.
I don't see how the general premise is fair. The author claimed that because the iPad Air is 29% lighter and 20% thinner it is now poised to replace laptops. There isn't anything introduced with the Air that makes it more suitable to replace laptops than previous gen iPads. That's why the article is nothing more than pro-Apple propaganda.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is that this what MS has been saying for over a year. Hence the Surface and Surface Pro. I'm getting tired of people claiming Apple inventing some brilliant new concept even though others executed before.

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
What I don't understand is that this what MS has been saying for over a year. Hence the Surface and Surface Pro. I'm getting tired of people claiming Apple inventing some brilliant new concept even though others executed before.

The Surface and Surface Pro are just glorified Tablet PCs with another name. Microsoft didn't do anything special there either, except make it smaller.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how the general premise is fair. The author claimed that because the iPad Air is 29% lighter and 20% thinner it is now poised to replace laptops. There isn't anything introduced with the Air that makes it more suitable to replace laptops than previous gen iPads. That's why the article is nothing more than pro-Apple propaganda.

Like I said, I'm not falling for their tricks and giving them a click on the article. The "general premise" I'm referring to is that ARM tablets can fulfill the needs of many who own laptops, especially if the laptop is a secondary machine (meaning the person has a home desktop). The portability of the iPad offers a reason it can be a laptop alternative (that alone doesn't make it a replacement), and pairing that with the fact that so many folks just use their laptops as general-purpose computers means they COULD replace it with a tablet. I guess I'm speaking from personal experience though, not in that I have an ARM tablet, but in that my grandma and mom have both purchased iPads as PC replacements. They both are 99% doing general things, with the ONLY instance in which either had a problem using an iPad was when my mom had to view a Flash video from work one time.

I'm not saying that portability makes it a replacement, just that they can be a second-machine alternative to most people, since they aren't using Photoshop or gaming on a laptop.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Surface and Surface Pro are just glorified Tablet PCs with another name. Microsoft didn't do anything special there either, except make it smaller.
The original point is that Microsoft made an actual claim that their product is a true laptop replacement for the same price, if not cheaper. But Apple makes this claim along with a thinner and faster product, people forget to check facts. That's the claim. No matter how you spin it or want to try and spin it, that is true. Just because the Surface doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's not a laptop replacement. Until an iPad can store data from other input devices, host USB outlets, and have true desktop capabilities, it's a media consumption device

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a joke that these analysts who obviously have no significant knowledge of technology get so much of the spotlight to air their opinions.

It's most likely because these analysts are usually employed by banks and investment companies and so it would make sense why they want to maintain Apple's high stock price.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
These "analysts" make my head hurt. I honestly don't know how an iPad could be a laptop replacement. MAYBE for a grandma, but grandmas aren't known for their technological ability, so we'll count them out. I realize peoples arguments are "well, 99% of people just browse the web and check Facebook" but that is definitely not my experience with anyone I know.

Take students for one. Your average student would need at least a surface. They're writing and printing papers. As we all know, ipads are not very good at this.

"but what about people who aren't students, like adults for example?"
Well, imaginary person, odds are, they're gonna have a kid, and odds are, that kid is going to school. He/she needs productivity.

"well, yeah, but what about the parents themselves? They do productivity at work, they rarely ever do it at home."
Wow, wish I had your money. It'd be cheaper just to buy a $400 family computer instead of an iPad for everyone.

"but the surface is weird to use as a tablet, its a strange ratio and too big"
There are literally dozens of different PCs to buy, pick another one

"but"
Shut up

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Take students for one. Your average student would need at least a surface. They're writing and printing papers. As we all know, ipads are not very good at this.

No they don't.

An iPad is suitable for typing up an essay. That is the only TYPE of writing you ever do in grade school. And Pages is suitable for doing so. You can't do any scripting in it, but it is very similar to Word when it comes to the basis. And all an essay needs is a cover page, the text with proper headers, subheadings, footnotes, and the cited work. That is ALL doable in Pages.

I can print to my printer with my iPad. I do it all the time. I actually have my home network setup so I can print to any application of my choosing too.

I also have Sketchbook Ink, Final Draft, OneNote, Steinberg's touch based version of Cubase (Cubasis) which lets me pull stuff between the two versions, Texas Instruments' TI-Nspire CAS, among some other stuff.

And they're made for touch. And that's why I like the iPad. Because it's easy to mix in a Moleskine notebook, a reference book, or whatever, and not have to fiddle with trying to navigate the screen with a non-Metro app. You do more and think less.

I agree that those people shouldn't be saying it's a computer replacement though, still doesn't mean it's not a device you can be productive on.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree that those people shouldn't be saying it's a computer replacement though, still doesn't mean it's not a device you can be productive on.

Agreed, but point is these over enthusiastic analysts have gone overboard to please Apple, they are not at all qualified to write any piece on the internet.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So your agreeing with everybody that it is not a laptop replacement and the surface is more of an tablet pc. No one said you can't be productive on an Ipad. I love the I can print from my ipad. I can print from my surface and it takes me 2 seconds to plug it in and print. The problem with the subject matter of this post is the on going illusion that is perpetuated by tech media that apple products are still revolutionary. That is the brilliants of apple though. When you can convince the people that what you sell is special they don't mind spending a lot of money. they actually defend it.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
No they don't.

An iPad is suitable for typing up an essay. That is the only TYPE of writing you ever do in grade school. And Pages is suitable for doing so. You can't do any scripting in it, but it is very similar to Word when it comes to the basis. And all an essay needs is a cover page, the text with proper headers, subheadings, footnotes, and the cited work. That is ALL doable in Pages.

I can print to my printer with my iPad. I do it all the time. I actually have my home network setup so I can print to any application of my choosing too.

I also have Sketchbook Ink, Final Draft, OneNote, Steinberg's touch based version of Cubase (Cubasis) which lets me pull stuff between the two versions, Texas Instruments' TI-Nspire CAS, among some other stuff.

And they're made for touch. And that's why I like the iPad. Because it's easy to mix in a Moleskine notebook, a reference book, or whatever, and not have to fiddle with trying to navigate the screen with a non-Metro app. You do more and think less.

Yes, an iPad would be suitable in grade school. But for university students, this is only good for reading books and lecture notes as typing on-screen is hard enough and bringing a separate keyboard is a bulk in the bag. In most universities (like mine), they give you the option to print directly from your own computer, and yes, the iPad is not very good at this. They also give you the option to download the slides, and also watch lecture recordings. So in a way, a Surface is more beneficial to a university student because you can watch lectures while typing notes side by side, comes with Office Home and Student suite (Surface RT / 2), and has access to network printers!

I agree that an iPad shouldn't be considered as a PC replacement, and it is a productive device in a way, like a sketchbook or a diary - it's those little things in the house that can be replaced by an iPad, but it isn't something that can replace even a netbook which performs as good as, if not worse than a Surface RT.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

In the Summary: "As far as specs go, the Surface 2 is a very realistic competitor to the iPad, and even beats it in a few areas such as the camera and connectivity"

The camera section however is a "Draw".

Biased for sure but I'd actually say reviews are getting more positive towards the Surface. No longer are they "We don't understand it so it's crap", now they're more "We like our iPad so that's better but this has some neat features".

People are coming around to all the extra power the Surface brings over the iPad. It will be about the apps now... that is where Microsoft have to push hard. Sound familiar?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo