Latest BS: Ipad air competes with laptops

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So I stopped by my local carrier and got a chance to test out the iPad Air....hmmmm ok, cool but im not drooling...its an iPad...nothing revolutionary. Anyway what I found very odd is just like any place the device is plugged in and always charging...having only been plugged in for less than 24 hrs the device was boiling hot...so hot I could barely hold it for a few seconds. I've tested past iPads and never experienced this...doesnt anyone else find this weird? If the device is fully charged, shouldn't it stop charging or cool down if its idle? My Pro 2 has never gotten this hot, even plugged in fully charged hours after.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I stopped by my local carrier and got a chance to test out the iPad Air....hmmmm ok, cool but im not drooling...its an iPad...nothing revolutionary. Anyway what I found very odd is just like any place the device is plugged in and always charging...having only been plugged in for less than 24 hrs the device was boiling hot...so hot I could barely hold it for a few seconds. I've tested past iPads and never experienced this...doesnt anyone else find this weird? If the device is fully charged, shouldn't it stop charging or cool down if its idle? My Pro 2 has never gotten this hot, even plugged in fully charged hours after.

I think they had that problem with the iPad 3. Something to do with the HD screen.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen the new iPad Air commercials? They don't bother showing off any features other than the fact that it hides behind a pencil :grincry:

And people would say that MS didn't show off product features in their ads...

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen the new iPad Air commercials? They don't bother showing off any features other than the fact that it hides behind a pencil :grincry:

apple at this point doesnt need to show of features their name itself is selling, however this is not the case with WP, so yes Ms still needs to show off the product features.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing with the Air for the past couple days, and honestly there's nothing special. Same old iPad but for once, the build quality is quite awesome! It is very sturdy feeling and generally well distributed weight wise. IOS did hiccup on me multiple times (and I only used them for a brief moment at a time just to turn it off to put screen protectors on them). But as always, its still just an iPad. Nothing revolutionary, just thinner and lighter.

Stinomus

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.

Personally I do have to agree that 4:3 is the better aspect ratio for the web, email, ebooks, etc...however the 16:9 ratio of the Surface is superior for multitasking. With 4:3 I can't realistically have 2 applications side-by-side and I never realized how awesome that is on a tablet until I got a Surface. It really is a killer feature and requires the 16:9 aspect rather than the 4:3.

Stinomus

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.

Personally I do have to agree that 4:3 is the better aspect ratio for the web, email, ebooks, etc...however the 16:9 ratio of the Surface is superior for multitasking. With 4:3 I can't realistically have 2 applications side-by-side and I never realized how awesome that is on a tablet until I got a Surface. It really is a killer feature and requires the 16:9 aspect rather than the 4:3.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Ya I think their basically cash it in on features. Going all on in with the art side of it. They really don't need to say much about features, it's always the same.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ya I think their basically cash it in on features. Going all on in with the art side of it. They really don't need to say much about features, it's always the same.

recently a friend asked me which iteration of ipad was this ipad air, i said 4th, n later realized it was 5th, basically after ipad2, the new ipad & ipad 4 came and now ipad air I dont see much upgrade happening over previous devices, why do they bother releasing it even

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
recently a friend asked me which iteration of ipad was this ipad air, i said 4th, n later realized it was 5th, basically after ipad2, the new ipad & ipad 4 came and now ipad air I dont see much upgrade happening over previous devices, why do they bother releasing it even
At this point in the life cycle of the iPad line, Apple is now in "cynical money-grab" mode. They can pretty much guarantee that they will sell "x" million units when they release a new generation of iPad regardless of the specs. I don't blame them, that is part of the fruits of their labor. However, they need to be careful to not dip too frequently or too often or they run the risk of people wising up to their motive.

The iPad 4 that I purchased 6 months ago will most likely be the last iPad I buy. Microsoft's Surface is my last hope before holding my nose and settling for an Android tablet as my primary go-to mobile device.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree that it is good business the problem is the tech reviews still promote it a cutting edge. Of course apple does why wouldn't they. You have the game figured out buy the last years model for half the price , its the same. So far the surface has exceeded my expectations. If it had the limitations that I have found in tablet use (lack of functionality but great for watching a movies!) it would have gone back.

Johnny5point6

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Also keep in mind that "the masses" aren't very tech savvy. And for those people who don't multitask, don't do graphically intensive computer work, and don't do much beyond surfing the web, yes, the iPad is perfect for them. I just wish the consumer recognized that if you need more from a computer, get PC. But Microsoft isn't synonymous with sexy technology yet. Give then time.

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the main reason tablets (iPad or otherwise) are selling so much more than laptops is because of their "target audience"
When do you ever see parents buy laptops as a gift or toy for their kid in grade school? I remember 4-5 years ago when I was in highschool, most classes wouldnt even allow you to bring a laptop or any electronic device (ahem phones) because they were "distractions" and unnecessary.

But now since tablets are cheaper, easier to use, and seen as a "cool toy" by some, they appeal to a massive age range.

Anyway, articles like this dont really bother me. Its the people who only read and understand one side of the story and then go and tell me I should've bought an iPad instead of my SP2 *facepalm*

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Also keep in mind that "the masses" aren't very tech savvy. And for those people who don't multitask, don't do graphically intensive computer work, and don't do much beyond surfing the web, yes, the iPad is perfect for them. I just wish the consumer recognized that if you need more from a computer, get PC. But Microsoft isn't synonymous with sexy technology yet. Give then time.
Even web browsing can be done in quite different ways, the iPad way works if you are just reading and not writing. I can hardly see myself writing comments and forum posts on a touch screen keyboard, as I tend to do write more than single sentences. Also, the ability to write in one window in snapview and have a pdf or a web page open too that you can read while writing is another thing that really makes a difference for some of us.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

The use of the word 'rocks' in this context is extremely offensive. I agree with the article that 4:3 is a better aspect ratio for tablets though, unless you mostly use it for video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750