11-19-2013 03:52 AM
78 123 ...
tools
    Fine young cannibal: Apple's iPad Air competes with laptops for mass market computing - Computerworld

What is happening to all these tech blogs filled with iSheep reviewers.
    10-31-2013 01:01 PM
    I think posting these links will increase their clicks and susequently it's an incetive to write things like this....
    nuprotocol, ktl88, Tjarren and 1 others like this.
    10-31-2013 01:17 PM
    What's wrong with this article?
    10-31-2013 01:22 PM
    Just more delusion from apple fanboys in the tech media.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    10-31-2013 01:28 PM
    That article gave me cancer.
    10-31-2013 01:35 PM
    "I'm convinced that the iPad Air is the perfect personal computer for the masses," asserted Ben Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies, in a post to his firm's Techpinions.com website Tuesday. "The iPad has become as versatile as any personal computer on the market."
    10-31-2013 01:38 PM
    Computer world: a site for people who know nothing about computers.
    Daylife, Oris, LMZR and 3 others like this.
    10-31-2013 01:46 PM
    Haha! Suddenly the iPad is more versatile even though it has the same limited software. And it hasn't even been released yet!
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    10-31-2013 01:48 PM
    Virtually the entire thing.

The iPad Air introduces a 64-bit processor, 29% lighter, 20% thinner... and THOSE are the things, according to the author is what put the iPad over the top to now be a viable replacement for a laptop. That is simply not true. He also makes mention of iWorks being free. iOS iWorks is so simplistic that it is virtually unusable for anything other than the most basic tasks. So much so, that Apple released an update to OSX iWorks that is greatly reduced in functionality so as to make interoperation viable.

There has been no improvements in the iPad line that has drawn it closer to being a laptop replacement. From a hardware perspective, still very limited connection choices. From an OS perspective with everything being sandboxed, prevents it from being a viable laptop replacement. Limited printing still is something that iOS fans overlook.
    10-31-2013 01:49 PM
    When they talk about iPads replacing laptops in terms of using it for things like email, web browsing, social media, basic productivity, then duh - of course. That's just tablets doing exactly what tablets were designed to do. It's just the logical evolution of how people do basic computing tasks now, so of course people now do less of that on a traditional laptop.

When they talk about iPads replacing ALL of a laptop's capabilities, that's something entirely different though. There are too many capabilities, ports, and management capabilities missing to replace how laptops are used for more powerful productivity tasks. That is, after all, why Apple just released yet again new MacBooks. They even acknowledge the iPads limitations in this regard.
    10-31-2013 01:52 PM
    "I'm convinced that the iPad Air is the perfect personal computer for the masses," asserted Ben Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies, in a post to his firm's Techpinions.com website Tuesday. "The iPad has become as versatile as any personal computer on the market."
    yes spot on. thats what is wrong with that article
    thomas wojcik likes this.
    10-31-2013 01:52 PM
    10-31-2013 02:04 PM
    "In our testing it managed between six and eight hours per charge."

Are they serious?! Six hours? They must have been testing the Surface Pro 2.
    10-31-2013 02:13 PM
    The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.
    10-31-2013 02:16 PM
    What i find funny is the battery life won by iPad Air....without any specifics or tests performed. YET, Engadget at least ran some proper comparisons with times...and S2 came out on top. Any of you with a S2 only get 6-8 hours??...iPad Air review

Tablet Battery Life
    iPad Air (LTE) 13:45
    Microsoft Surface 2 14:22
    Apple iPad mini 12:43 (WiFi)
    Apple iPad (late 2012) 11:08 (WiFi)
    Apple iPad 2 10:26
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-31-2013 02:16 PM
    The most laughable sentence: "It rocks a 4:3 aspect ratio that our review calls "perfect for the web, email, ebooks and apps". complete BS what about videos & movies.
    It's not complete BS. In my experiences, it is truthful. The fact that they deliberately ignored videos and movies simply means that they were attempting to appear to be unbiased... which, (by omitting references to videos and movies) they ended up failing.

It wasn't a good comparison, but it wasn't the worst.
    10-31-2013 02:21 PM
    "In our testing it managed between six and eight hours per charge."

Are they serious?! Six hours? They must have been testing the Surface Pro 2.
    Ya that is suspect. Mine lasts all day no problem. Actually I can go a day and a half no problem. These type of reviews have been going on for as long as I've been paying attention. I guess everyone has there favorites. I love the price comparison. The problem is they're comparing a 32g S2 with the 16g iPad.
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-31-2013 02:21 PM
    That is wierd since I can't think of a magazine that has a 4:3 ratio. If that was the best for reading you would think the print world (books, mags, etc) would use it.
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-31-2013 02:29 PM
    Virtually the entire thing.

The iPad Air introduces a 64-bit processor, 29% lighter, 20% thinner... and THOSE are the things, according to the author is what put the iPad over the top to now be a viable replacement for a laptop. That is simply not true. He also makes mention of iWorks being free. iOS iWorks is so simplistic that it is virtually unusable for anything other than the most basic tasks. So much so, that Apple released an update to OSX iWorks that is greatly reduced in functionality so as to make interoperation viable.

There has been no improvements in the iPad line that has drawn it closer to being a laptop replacement. From a hardware perspective, still very limited connection choices. From an OS perspective with everything being sandboxed, prevents it from being a viable laptop replacement. Limited printing still is something that iOS fans overlook.
    64-Bit Processor, yet it doesnt even have enough RAM to utilize that...its a gimmick.
    10-31-2013 02:31 PM
    That is wierd since I can't think of a magazine that has a 4:3 ratio. If that was the best for reading you would think the print world (books, mags, etc) would use it.
    It might be a geographical thing. Here in the U.S. most documents and magazines are in roughly a 4:3 AR. A 16:9 AR is reserved for brochures and pamplets.
    10-31-2013 02:32 PM
    4:3 Aspect Ratio, lmfao!
    64-Bit CPU, yet it doesnt even have enough RAM to utilize a 64-Bit CPU....Gimmick.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    10-31-2013 02:32 PM
    64-Bit Processor, yet it doesnt even have enough RAM to utilize that...its a gimmick.
    I agree. Anandtech projected that the 64-bit processor would consume 20-30% more RAM given the same apps (due to its 64-bitness) so in a very real sense, the iPad Air offers LESS RAM than the iPad 4. (All that makes me feel even more comfortable with my decision to buy a 64GB iPad 4 six months ago and keep it at iOS 6.1.3 for the long haul)
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-31-2013 02:34 PM
    It's an ignorant article, but represents a very real trend in the replacement of PCs with iPads.
    10-31-2013 04:01 PM
    10-31-2013 07:55 PM
    *YAWN* For those of us who use iWork, it doesn't matter what Microsoft Office does or doesn't have. I used Word since the 3.1 days and have Office 2003 and could easily get the latest version. However, all I ever had to EVER do is write papers, and its easily done in Pages with no issues. I know Word is more robust, but I haven't touched it since 2004 and haven't needed to.

That said, neither the Surface Pro nor an iPad is a laptop replacement for me. The screens are too small, and I just hate the idea of trying to render a 3D modeled scene on a machine that small.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2013 09:47 PM
78 123 ...