2-in-1 Windows 8.1 devices with a detachable wireless keyboard

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for a 2-in-1 device that can serve as a laptop (i.e. it docks to a keyboard that is sturdy enough to hold up the device for use on a lap), as a tablet (i.e. the keyboard can be undocked), and also as a desktop in the sense that I want to connect it to an external monitor and then use the keyboard wirelessly. Are there any devices like this? They all seem to have only some of the traits.

Surface Pro 2: This can technically do all 3 modes if you buy the wireless keyboard adapter for the Type Cover 2, but the Type Cover 2 is arguably not heavy enough to be the sole, dedicated keyboard, plus the Surface's lapability, while better than most, is still a tad awkward.

Sony Tap 11: This has the wireless keyboard, which is nice, but the inability to dock it to the device makes it impossible to use in the lap.

Dell Venue 11 Pro: This has a nice keyboard that seemingly can be docked on and is sturdy enough to use like a laptop, but I've heard nothing to indicate that the keyboard can be used wirelessly when not docked.

HP Split, Toshiba Satellite, Samsung Ativ, etc., seemingly none of their keyboard docks can be used wirelessly.

Wadood Chaudhary

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I settled for Tap 11 after trying Surface Pro 2 for few days (and before that a bunch of Windows hybrids). In my opinion Tap-11 is the only true 2 in 1 thing around. Surface Pro 2 works fine as a laptop but is not as tablet at least in the sense that iPad is considered a tablet.
I had the following two criterias:
1. Can one read a book?
I found reading a book on Surface Pro 2 hard and uncomfortable only after 10-15 minutes. It is heavy and more importantly too hefty to comfortably hold in one hand like you'd a regular book lying on a couch. For magazine reading and watching movies, it works fine.

2. Can one run serious Windows Applications?
I am a developer and use Eclipse and Hadoop. I found Tap 11 acceptable and adeuqate for my work, although Surface Pro 2 with 8GB RAM would have been better choice, but I am doing my work on Tap 11 for now almost a week and not encountered any major problems.

Also, I found Surface Pro 2 keyboard, especially its trackpad much inferior to Sony's. Also, Sony's pen is marvellous.

Tap 11 is also not without its issues; its keyboard loses connection once in a couple fo hours and you have to reconnect. Also, it takes sometimes longer than usual to recognize an already connected network. GPS takes a long time to connect. Kickstand is unusable in lap position but you can lay it flat and get some work done or place it over a bag (if you have one).

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
the Surface Pro is the closest thing you're going to find. if it doesn't work for you then find the device you like that works well in your lap and in your hand, then buy a separate wireless keyboard for around the house and at a desk.

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
How much processing/graphics power do you need?

If an Atom product could suit your needs there are a multitude of fully dockable Atom powered tablets that should work.

Off the top of my head Acer W510
http://cdn3.mos.techradar.futurecdn.../review photos/Acer_Iconia_W510_01-580-90.jpg

Acer_Iconia_W510_01-580-90.jpg

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
How much processing/graphics power do you need?

If an Atom product could suit your needs there are a multitude of fully dockable Atom powered tablets that should work.

To be honest, I don't really know the differences between all these processors: Atom, Haswell, Bay Trail, etc. I never know what any one is talking about. I'd like a decent processor, would like to run some statistical analyses using a data analysis program, and the typical Web surfing, movie viewing, and light gaming (stuff like Halo: Spartan Assault).

Do those tablet docking keyboard work wirelessly? And are strong enough to support the screen if I dock them and use it on my lap?

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I don't really know the differences between all these processors: Atom, Haswell, Bay Trail, etc. I never know what any one is talking about. I'd like a decent processor, would like to run some statistical analyses using a data analysis program, and the typical Web surfing, movie viewing, and light gaming (stuff like Halo: Spartan Assault).

Do those tablet docking keyboard work wirelessly? And are strong enough to support the screen if I dock them and use it on my lap?

Alright I'll try to be brief :

Atom Processors - among the slowest of Intel, however decent performance, no fan/passive cooling only so they are quiet. Small architecture so they fit in small tablets and have excellent battery life ~ 8-10 hours.
- Then there's the previous gen clover trail which was kinda subpar
- Now they are producing Bay Trail which are about 2x the processing power and 4x the graphics power of clover.

Core i series processors - Quite powerful near desktop performance in tablet form, tear through battery about twice as fast as Atom Processors do, requires active fan cooling so you get increased noise and heat.
- Haswell is the newest architecture that is built smaller and has greater battery performance as well as slightly better graphics performance vs previous gen.

Now I don't know how demanding your statistics programs are but if you want a serious processor go core i3/i5 series, but you will pay about $1,000.

If you can settle for a decent processor absolutely go with the new Bay Trail Atom like an Asus T100, they have awesome specs with a dockable keyboard and an amazing $349 price point, plus 10 hours battery life.

The one I mentioned above is the older Atom Clover trail design, yet I still think is an excellent tablet. Yes the dock on the Ionia 510 turns it into a normal laptop with touchscreen as in the picture above that you can use in your lap, and it is not Bluetooth, it's only connector pins. However, the dock has a built-in battery bringing the battery life of the docked Ionia W510 up to around 14 hours which is awesome.

Hopefully that answers your questions!

MetalAZ480

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought an Asus Transformer (T100TA-B1-GR) yesterday from Best Buy which is Windows 8.1 and has a detachable keyboard. I was going to buy a Surface but having to pay an extra $100+ for the keyboard which looked kinda flimsy turned me off to it. The Transformer keyboard feels well connected and solid. Since I just got it yesterday I haven't played with it that much yet. I wasn't sure on the Atom processor but figured my biggest problem would be the 2GB of memory when using real desktop apps. I just didn't want a cell phone processor and be stuck with the limitations of RT. This has a USB 3.0 port like the Surface -- I saw a cool hub in a Surface video that lets you connect a monitor and other devices to it. I tried several 3D metro games and they all loaded and ran fast on it.

1846005_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Specs at Best Buy

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to let us know how you get on with the Transformer T100, it looks a great device for the price. Seriously considering getting one of those myself.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Man im stuck im still waiting on the Lenovo mixx2 tablet thanks for the info on the ausus t100 now I have that in the mix along with the dell venue 8 pro decisions decisions!!!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Man im stuck im still waiting on the Lenovo mixx2 tablet thanks for the info on the ausus t100 now I have that in the mix along with the dell venue 8 pro decisions decisions!!!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

There's also the Dell Venue 11 Pro as well ;) Choice is good though. In the last few months some great Windows 8 convertibles have come out or will be coming out soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb