I still don't get the purpose of tablets?

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a university student and I see a lot of tablets around me these days.

As for me, I have always had a full sized laptop (currently Dell Precision M4700). And it has always been portable and light enough for me.

One thing I do not get is that.

1) Tablets cost the same or sometimes even more than a ultrabook or a full sized laptop.
2) Since many laptops have become so thin and light these days, portability benefit between laptop and tablet is marginal
3) Processing power and longevity will always be better on a full sized laptop.

So what was your reasoning for picking up a tablet?

Mainly, I am partially open to trying a tablet, but I honestly do not get why I would need one when I have a capable laptop.
But I see so many people who bring both a laptop AND a tablet to school.

Of course, what other people me use do not really effect me, but I just notice the phones and computers around me since that's just what I am into.

Last edited:

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
If a laptop works for you stick with it. I like my Blackberry Playbook because I can use it as an ereader, or recipe book in the kitchen, or display blueprints for something I'm building. They've both got their own ups/downs ie. I wouldn't want to type a term paper or write a novel on a tablet LOL

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Being a Surface Pro owner, I do find it antiquated when I see people who have a tablet and laptop with them at all times.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Though not a student, I bought a Nexus 7(2012) based on much of the hype around tablets.
Though it was useful to have, It just became a glorified games player, spending most of it's working days at home under my bed. Sold it earlier this year.
To my dismay, I just won an iPad in a prize draw and find this to large and cumbersome for everyday use and really wonder what all the hype about them is.
At present, I use my 2yr old 'Supermarket' Laptop for it sheer ease of use (Win7) and home PC (Win8) for serious work.
The iPad will be another glorified games player. It's currently at sleep under the bed!!

katakulli

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The main selling point of tablets is mobility. Also the average battery life is much higher than a fullsized laptop. And: touchscreen. Everone loves touchscreens. Tablets are easy to use, are thin and light.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on how you use a computing device. I have a 13 inch ultrabook now and travel a lot (I fly twice every week on average). So I am now looing into getting a Surface Pro2. For me, real estate in my bags is premium. Every inch I can save on a my computer is an inch I can use otherwise. If you like you laptop though, sick to it. I also don't do any heavy graphic intense work and for office apps, I really am OK with a smaller screen. I am not sure though if I would want to use photoshop on a tablet, even if I could and if it is advertised... For that I would want a nice, big screen...

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I asked this question myself when everyone was getting hung up on ipads. I think they are mostly luxury items, as they don't do anything a laptop couldn't do. They're particularly convenient because they're lighter/thinner and simple. I gave away my last laptop several years ago to get a better desktop but last year I picked up a tablet (Acer w700). Why? Since I don't have a laptop anymore I can access "stuff" on the go, give it to my kids for a couple hours of peace, browse the web, check websites that I can't check at work (mostly gaming), and play games that aren't on my PS Vita, PSP. Every once in a while I'll do load up Visual studio and write some code (mostly at work during lunch). Do I NEED to do any of these things, No. Can a laptop do these things? Yes. Again, it's about convenience. Could I ride my bike 70miles to/from work? Sure, but I'd tired/sweaty/dirty when I got there.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Fluidity, speed, no bootup time, longer battery life, great touch interface.

Since getting my Surface, I've hardly touched my Levono ultrabook. As quick as the Levono is, it's not a patch on the Surface for ease of use.

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Just considering the form factor, I don't get tablets either and I have owned way too many. The bigger 9 to 10 inch ones are awkward to hold so I always ended up using a case with built-in stand or propping them up against something. Neither worked well. Smaller, lighter tablets can be held but they aren't so good for other positions that put them farther away because the screen's too small. I settled on a tablet with a built-in stand, keyboard and infinitely adjustable screen angle, a touchscreen laptop. I have an 11.6" Acer S7. I love the touchscreen and rarely wish I could fold the keyboard out of the way or detach it. No matter what you get it won't be perfect for all places and positions you might use it. For me, the S7 offers the least compromise. One of smaller flipping/folding ultrabooks would be great too, if there was one as screen as nice as the S7-191.

And if I consider operating systems, Windows 8/8.1 can do everything I did with my Android tablet, usually better, plus run any Windows app. It deserves a lot more positive attention than it's been getting, at least for touch screen use, and it's not hard to use with a mouse either.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd just like to say that it's ok, you don't need to "get" tablets. Unlike a certain cult, Windows tablet users don't demand that everybody must like what we like :)

Personally, I want a gadget that works for drawing and that means a Windows tablet with a decent digitizer. I also think taking notes in meetings with a pen is much more flexible and less obtrusive than typing but hey, I'm old...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I find my pro 2 useful because it is almost as light and thin as a tablet, yet as powerful as a laptop. Tablets and tablet PCs are portable, and can do a lot of tasks computers do (tablet PCs actually pretty much do everything laptops do), like productivity and pleasure, which is why they are so popular.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm a university student and I see a lot of tablets around me these days.

As for me, I have always had a full sized laptop (currently Dell Precision M4700). And it has always been portable and light enough for me.

One thing I do not get is that.

1) Tablets cost the same or sometimes even more than a ultrabook or a full sized laptop.
2) Since many laptops have become so thin and light these days, portability benefit between laptop and tablet is marginal
3) Processing power and longevity will always be better on a full sized laptop.

So what was your reasoning for picking up a tablet?

Mainly, I am partially open to trying a tablet, but I honestly do not get why I would need one when I have a capable laptop.
But I see so many people who bring both a laptop AND a tablet to school.

Of course, what other people me use do not really effect me, but I just notice the phones and computers around me since that's just what I am into.
Tablets are still more mobile than laptops and even Ultrabooks. My ipad4 w/Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover combined is thinner and lighter than any notebook except those that cost $100's more. And I have yet to find anything that will will last as long as that combination under heavy use. (12-14 hours on a single charge).

within a fraction of a second it changes from its clamshell orientation into a handheld device suited for reading digital manuals and textbooks as well as consuming leisure media.

Diagramming with a finger tip or stylus on the touchscreen is a nice option for those occasions where it would be helpful. Sitting at a desk and typing and when the mood strikes just grab the tablet swing around and lean back to read a few blogs....and then swing back and back to typing.

I love the flexibility.

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I find my pro 2 useful because it is almost as light and thin as a tablet, yet as powerful as a laptop. Tablets and tablet PCs are portable, and can do a lot of tasks computers do (tablet PCs actually pretty much do everything laptops do), like productivity and pleasure, which is why they are so popular.

I've been considering a Pro 2 for a while. Can't bring myself to spend that amount of cash though and not even get the keyboard included LOL

Droidophobe

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Thrive 7 that I use primarily as an Ereader. I can't comfortably read a book on a cell phone screen, or a larger computer screen. A 7" tablet fills this purpose very well.

I have a 15" laptop that's worked very well for all my computer needs. However, I've been struggling with tendonitis in my wrist, elbow, and both hands for months. I can't carry this almost 6 pound laptop around anymore. I just ordered a Surface Pro 2, and I'm hoping that I can use it most of the time, and leave the laptop permanently parked on my desk, to use with some peripherals that don't appear to be supported on most tablet OS's.

Switchke

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I got the 8gig one and very happy with it. I replaced my MacBook and iPad in 1 device. Only thing I hate is he fact it doesn't have lte or 3g. Always have to hotspot my phone for which drains a lot.

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Last year I used my Nexus 7 (2012) in combination with the $20 Chinese/Ebay bluetooth keyboard/cover thing.
I brought it to my classes to takes notes with.
It was lighter than my laptop and didnt need a charge at any point during the day (and if I stuck to note taking and web browsing only, it'd last a second day).
It doesnt do everything my laptop could do, but I didnt need it to do anything it couldn't do.

This semester I had to go back to my Thinkpad T410 because two of my classes had actual lab time during the lecture hours, so I needed to use several x86 applications including development tools and VMs.
My T410 was aging and it was starting to show. The screen would half blank out and a column on the keyboard was dying.

So now I have a Surface Pro 2 and its exactly what I need ...
... as a laptop:
  • it runs the x86 applications that I need
  • it can run the VMs that I need (and has the RAM for it all)
  • I can dual boot linux if a VM doesnt suffice.
  • I can multitask like I would normally.
... as a tablet:
  • Its light (enough)
  • Battery could still be better but I manage 5-7 hours of normal usage.
  • I can carry it in my hand just to do reading in tight spaces.
  • its fun (although Win8 Apps are seriously lacking)

Lendo

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
@PandaSPUR: I'm assuming you used a bootable USB to install Linux? How painful was it?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I actually haven't done it yet, VMs have sufficed so far for my purposes.

Although I did read about how to do it, and other's experiences with doing it. It seems painless lol.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In my biased opinion the iOS/Android tablets are not much use if you're a computer person. In all seriousness though I still enjoy the TabletPC convertible form factor the most. I was intrigued enough by the SP2 form factor to give it a go, but I think for pure usefulness if something like the Lenovo Yoga had a Wacom pen that would be my first choice as I do a lot of digital artwork and as nice as the type cover is for a tablet keyboard/cover it doesn't hold up to a true keyboard. In any case I'm hoping the SP2 will serve me well in the next few years as a mobile digital sketchbook as well as for dinking around and some occasional emergency programming.

But yeah if I had to travel regularly for work again I'd take an ultrabook over even the SP2. Something between a 12-14" screen is really my optimum target size for long term productivity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa