hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, lots of those people who have inside sources at Microsoft have reported that the Windows Phone and Windows RT operating systems will merge, as will the stores (this will be GREAT - we'll be able to get an app on one, and use it on the other without buying again!). I like the concept of RT, and don't disagree with getting rid of desktop for many users, but yes, the phone and the tablet having a common experience and common apps would be a great boost to it. At the moment, RT isn't mature enough to convince people that it really will be an OS that meets all of your needs, at least for many people.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I realize this has been discussed ad nauseum, but maybe the conversation is now different w/the S2 and 2520.

Anyway, for someone currently in the market for a W8 tablet, why should RT be considered?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As i see it, Microsoft created the Windows RT to get rid of Windows 8 ATOM devices.

If you are a collage student, trying to buy a (lets call it) low end laptop, with the purpose of browsing the internet, and consuming media, and write a paper (most probably not an engineer), you are better of with a Tergra 4 or a Snapdargon 800 device rather than the Intel Atom. my i5 3rd generation that has a separate AMD smth smth, doesnt run Apps in a good way.

And no matter how much they advertise these ATOMs as they can run anything, we all know how bad they run everything, except the internet browser.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
As i see it, Microsoft created the Windows RT to get rid of Windows 8 ATOM devices.

If you are a collage student, trying to buy a (lets call it) low end laptop, with the purpose of browsing the internet, and consuming media, and write a paper (most probably not an engineer), you are better of with a Tergra 4 or a Snapdargon 800 device rather than the Intel Atom. my i5 3rd generation that has a separate AMD smth smth, doesnt run Apps in a good way.

And no matter how much they advertise these ATOMs as they can run anything, we all know how bad they run everything, except the internet browser.

Isn't bay trail very efficient actually?

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
According to the benchmarks I've seen, Bay Trail is actually on par with the Tegra 4 and Snapdragon 800 in regards to general performance. I think it falls behind in graphics benchmarks, though.

Oh, then I would prefer the ability to use windows classic programs and lose performance in the game department. But I understand if other people choose otherwise.

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Here is another reason.

It has forced me to learn Windows 8 from a touch perspective,

I have had Windows 8 Pro on my desktop, my laptop and my media center for nearly a year. I also had it installed on a Windows 7
tablet but it did not work that great (touch wise) since I had to use a wacom pen and it had a bezel around the screen.

On all of these device I mainly lived in my desktop using them just like Windows 7.

Now, on my Windows RT, I **HAVE** to do things in Metro. I know..they want to call it Modern UI. I think the name Metro has stuck
no matter what Microsoft says. But, I have learned how great the swipe works, whether its up, down, left or right. How the
multitasking and split screen works. How the IE 11 Metro is different. Lots more of the settings. And it's actually much more fun
to use than Android. (I have never used an Ipad).

I am in IT and I love learning new things. Now I had a reason to learn all this great stuff!

Yes, you can learn it on a tablet running full Windows 8 but really, how much of the time will you stay in the desktop? Isn't
the main complaint of people with RT? They can't run regular desktop apps? Which aren't even touch friendly?

I'll keep my RT.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is another reason.

It has forced me to learn Windows 8 from a touch perspective,

I have had Windows 8 Pro on my desktop, my laptop and my media center for nearly a year. I also had it installed on a Windows 7
tablet but it did not work that great (touch wise) since I had to use a wacom pen and it had a bezel around the screen.

On all of these device I mainly lived in my desktop using them just like Windows 7.

Now, on my Windows RT, I **HAVE** to do things in Metro. I know..they want to call it Modern UI. I think the name Metro has stuck
no matter what Microsoft says. But, I have learned how great the swipe works, whether its up, down, left or right. How the
multitasking and split screen works. How the IE 11 Metro is different. Lots more of the settings. And it's actually much more fun
to use than Android. (I have never used an Ipad).

I am in IT and I love learning new things. Now I had a reason to learn all this great stuff!

Yes, you can learn it on a tablet running full Windows 8 but really, how much of the time will you stay in the desktop? Isn't
the main complaint of people with RT? They can't run regular desktop apps? Which aren't even touch friendly?

I'll keep my RT.

Very similar to my perspective, and why I'm picking up a 2520....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo