Post your Rig Specs Here!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what did you have to spend on the GPU? I know that the mining craze has put some of those R9 cards into silly price ranges. Also, what's the deal with that motherboard that makes it worth $200+?

Personally, with Christmas about over, I am looking at upgrades myself. My dad bought a 290X and a 1000-watt PSU to go with it, so he gave me his 5850 and 750-watt 80-PLUS Gold PSU. I was going to Crossfire the 5850 with my own, but I am instead going to upgrade my CPU and motherboard. The reason I'm not doing both is that if I buy a new CPU and motherboard, I'll have an extra CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, graphics card, case, and OS. I'm going to sell it all to my cousin (since he wants a desktop but can't afford a proper build), and use that money to fund my own upgrades a bit.

The nearest Micro Center is about 2 hours away, but I think I got a free ride there lined up (meaning no wasting money in gas to save money on parts, which would be a wash), and they sell the 4670K for $200 ($240 on Newegg). I was considering a $150 3570K ($200 on Newegg), but they sold out of them yesterday. I just need to find a board to pair with it, and then I'll probably get a 1-TB Caviar Blue to replace my 640-GB Caviar Black (down to 97.4 GB on it).

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I have adopted my rig for gaming now, a while ago I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and today I ordered a xfx r9 270X GPU! :excited: I have decided to start playing BF4 and DayZ :smile:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what did you have to spend on the GPU? I know that the mining craze has put some of those R9 cards into silly price ranges. Also, what's the deal with that motherboard that makes it worth $200+?

It's an ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) motherboard, which means that it's built with overclocking in mind. It uses higher quality materials that are designed to be put through their paces. Even if you don't actually plan to overclock it, you can rest well knowing your motherboard is built to a higher standard and is likely to last that little bit longer. It has a great warranty on it too.

The graphics card I wrestled with long and hard for quite a long time. After doing a lot of research I decided to go for an AMD card and as I knew I'd be gaming on a 1440p setup, I chose the R9 280X, knowing that it was a rebranded 7970 GHz edition. I picked it because compared with a GTX 770 it has more VRAM and a wider memory bus (364-bit instead of 256-bit) to take advantage of the memory, especially if overclocked at all. I could have gone with a MSI version of the 280X for ?219, which was a steal, but my current NVidia card was MSI and I haven't been all that impressed with it. I chose to pay a little more, trusting in the quality of ASUS and having heard very good things about their DirectCU II and TOP OC'd cards.

Hope this helps!

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=28468

I think everything in that link is for the most part, current (except the Dell monitor went out and was replaced with an Acer and my CPU OC is different).

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Corsair H100
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
MSI GTX 580 Lightning 3xSLi
12GB Corsair Dominator RAM
LG BH10 Bluray Burner
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black
750GB WD Caviar Black
Corsair AX1200 1200w PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Razer Lycosa
Razer Naga
Razer Orbweaver

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's an ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) motherboard, which means that it's built with overclocking in mind. It uses higher quality materials that are designed to be put through their paces. Even if you don't actually plan to overclock it, you can rest well knowing your motherboard is built to a higher standard and is likely to last that little bit longer. It has a great warranty on it too.

The graphics card I wrestled with long and hard for quite a long time. After doing a lot of research I decided to go for an AMD card and as I knew I'd be gaming on a 1440p setup, I chose the R9 280X, knowing that it was a rebranded 7970 GHz edition. I picked it because compared with a GTX 770 it has more VRAM and a wider memory bus (364-bit instead of 256-bit) to take advantage of the memory, especially if overclocked at all. I could have gone with a MSI version of the 280X for ?219, which was a steal, but my current NVidia card was MSI and I haven't been all that impressed with it. I chose to pay a little more, trusting in the quality of ASUS and having heard very good things about their DirectCU II and TOP OC'd cards.

Hope this helps!

I was mostly curious on the GPU price because the U.S. prices on the AMD cards have shot way up because of the cryptocurrency mining. My dad bought a reference 290X about a month back for $500 (launch price was $550), and they're up at $600 for a reference model now ($650-700 for an aftermarket cooler). Just wondered if you had to pay extra to get the AMD card.

I'm going to stick with the ASUS DirectCU 5850 my dad gave me for a while. I'm hoping that since my college graduation and birthday are close together (5/14 and 5/26, respectively), I'll get a bit more money for my birthday than usual, and I might then get something like a 270X or 280X. Until then, I want to start by replacing the CPU and board, since they were middle-of-the-road when I got them in 2009. I'm hoping to head to Micro Center for the 4670K tonight or tomorrow (Tuesday at the latest), then I'll order a board from Newegg (probably Open Box to save a bit).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mods Rigs

I think everything in that link is for the most part, current (except the Dell monitor went out and was replaced with an Acer and my CPU OC is different).

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 GHz
Corsair H100
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
MSI GTX 580 Lightning 3xSLi
12GB Corsair Dominator RAM
LG BH10 Bluray Burner
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black
750GB WD Caviar Black
Corsair AX1200 1200w PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Razer Lycosa
Razer Naga
Razer Orbweaver

Not bad, like the blue theme (my Blackhawk's got similarly-colored fan LEDs). Once I get a can of air and my new stuff, I'll probably take some before/after shots and put them on here (or SkyDrive).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
All right, went and threw about $300 at my computer after Christmas. The 4670K was only $200 at Micro Center ($240 on Newegg), the board I wanted was only $120 ($145 on Newegg), and getting both together meant $30 off of the board (meaning $90). That means I spent $290 (pre-tax) on stuff that Newegg would have charged me $385 for, so it was hard to pass up.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
WP_20140103_20_54_59_Pro.jpg

Tried to grab a decent picture last night, best I could get in a hurry. Here's what it's got now:

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
GPU: ASUS DirectCU HD 5850
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866
PSU: Corsair HX 750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB 32 MB Cache
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower

As you'll probably notice, half of the RAM is missing at the moment. My dad had to borrow it for Litecoin mining, because you apparently can have a video card with VRAM equal to or greater than your system memory, and he only had 4 GB of RAM in his PC. So he's borrowing 16 GB of mine until his 32-GB kit of Sniper series RAM shows up, likely Monday or Tuesday. The cable management's a bit sketchy, especially since I have the USB 3.0 cable from the case closer to the video card than I would like. I'll probably fix that and zip-tie stuff later.

I wouldn't keep the stock fan on, but I don't plan on overclocking the CPU anytime soon. I'll probably spend the next few months reading about that, and do it in the summer. My graduation and birthday will both be in May, so I'll probably get money then and use it for a new GPU, at which point I'll grab a CM 212 Hyper EVO or something and look at overclocking then. Right now, overclocking won't really help. I'm also still short a SSD, but after spending almost $400 in St. Louis (picked up the CPU for $200, board for $90, and a HDD for my cousin for $60 that he has to pay me back for), I didn't want to spend another $100 on a 120-GB SSD right now. I'll maybe add that after a month or two, or I might wait until the summer with the rest, we will see.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I now have my Razer DeathStalker Ultimate and my Razer Vespula. Now to just get my Nostromo and Megalodon.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 53670

Tried to grab a decent picture last night, best I could get in a hurry. Here's what it's got now:

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX
GPU: ASUS DirectCU HD 5850
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866
PSU: Corsair HX 750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB 32 MB Cache
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower

As you'll probably notice, half of the RAM is missing at the moment. My dad had to borrow it for Litecoin mining, because you apparently can have a video card with VRAM equal to or greater than your system memory, and he only had 4 GB of RAM in his PC. So he's borrowing 16 GB of mine until his 32-GB kit of Sniper series RAM shows up, likely Monday or Tuesday. The cable management's a bit sketchy, especially since I have the USB 3.0 cable from the case closer to the video card than I would like. I'll probably fix that and zip-tie stuff later.

I wouldn't keep the stock fan on, but I don't plan on overclocking the CPU anytime soon. I'll probably spend the next few months reading about that, and do it in the summer. My graduation and birthday will both be in May, so I'll probably get money then and use it for a new GPU, at which point I'll grab a CM 212 Hyper EVO or something and look at overclocking then. Right now, overclocking won't really help. I'm also still short a SSD, but after spending almost $400 in St. Louis (picked up the CPU for $200, board for $90, and a HDD for my cousin for $60 that he has to pay me back for), I didn't want to spend another $100 on a 120-GB SSD right now. I'll maybe add that after a month or two, or I might wait until the summer with the rest, we will see.

I really recommend the CM cooler, it dropped my load-temp from 75 to 55 compared to the stockcooler! You could probably OC a bit with it too, but I'll stick to stockspeed for now.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, as I said, I don't plan to overclock it for another 5 months or so. I don't have anything I'm doing that NEEDS the overclock, just browsing, playing games, and watching TV shows. I'll get money in May, then I'll consider a new GPU, at which time I'll look into overclocking. Overclocking an i5 to play Dishonored on a Radeon 5850 is rather silly. Though I haven't done any stress test, the highest temp I saw my CPU at so far was 54 degrees, which was when I was playing Dishonored. I think that was core 2, while the first and fourth cores were 50 degrees and the third core was 52 degrees. Nothing's getting hot, so I'm not too worried. It idles around 25 degrees at stock, so I'm sure I'll be fine for a few months.

But yeah, I read about someone else who got similar temp. drops from the 212, and everyone suggests it in that price range (some suggest a Noctua at $80 and water at $100+). I don't intend to get stupid with my CPU, so I shouldn't get anything hot enough to need either of the higher-end coolers people recommend.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so currently my rig is based around a MacBook Pro as my desktop is not accepting usb keyboard or mouse input. Once fixed back to the desktop

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Looking forward to replace my desktop with a new one, since I'm not really into the whole upgrade-/self-assemble thing. Served me well for about 5 years and only had minor issues so far.

It's a Medion MD8833 and sports:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Motherboard: MSI MS-7502 (Socket 775)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 3,00GB Dual-Kanal DDR2 @ 332MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB / Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2250
Storage: Int: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 500GB / Ext: WD My Book 500GB, LaCie Design by Neil Poulton 1.5TB
Ext. Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Go!
Mouse: Roccat Kone [+] / Keyboard: MS Sidewinder X6

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to replace my desktop with a new one, since I'm not really into the whole upgrade-/self-assemble thing. Served me well for about 5 years and only had minor issues so far.

It's a Medion MD8833 and sports:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Motherboard: MSI MS-7502 (Socket 775)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 3,00GB Dual-Kanal DDR2 @ 332MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB / Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2250
Storage: Int: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 500GB / Ext: WD My Book 500GB, LaCie Design by Neil Poulton 1.5TB
Ext. Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Go!
Mouse: Roccat Kone [+] / Keyboard: MS Sidewinder X6

Nice keyboard. Though the mouse I'm not so sure about (I'm rocking lots of Razer gear myself). But ah well. I need a new motherboard tbh myself but need to check my graphics card as apparently my AMD Radeon is inferior to the GeForce one I had before.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice keyboard. Though the mouse I'm not so sure about (I'm rocking lots of Razer gear myself). But ah well. I need a new motherboard tbh myself but need to check my graphics card as apparently my AMD Radeon is inferior to the GeForce one I had before.

I'm not really a fan of Razer, so I just wanted a mouse from a different manufacturer. I ended up with the Roccat Kone because I used the Logitech MX510/518 for years and the Kone has a similar form. There a many complaints about the mousewheel on the internet (to be specific: the axis of the mousewheel which seems to break easily), but I use mine since Jan 2011 every day for several hours and I didn't have a single problem till now.

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Professional (x64)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FX - UD3
CPU: 3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-8320
RAM: 8GB G-Skill Sniper
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870
Monitor: ASUS VX239
OCZ-VERTEX4 [Hard drive] (128.04 GB)
OCZ-VERTEX4 [Hard drive] (128.04 GB)
ST31000528AS [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
ST31000528AS [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really a fan of Razer, so I just wanted a mouse from a different manufacturer. I ended up with the Roccat Kone because I used the Logitech MX510/518 for years and the Kone has a similar form. There a many complaints about the mousewheel on the internet (to be specific: the axis of the mousewheel which seems to break easily), but I use mine since Jan 2011 every day for several hours and I didn't have a single problem till now.

Hey it's different strokes for different folks. You like Roccat whereas I'm a Razer man (if only really for their SwitchBlade UI on the DeathStalker Ultimate). Sure I have a lean mean setup but it's good. I'll need to post my specs once my graphics card is updated.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey it's different strokes for different folks. You like Roccat whereas I'm a Razer man (if only really for their SwitchBlade UI on the DeathStalker Ultimate). Sure I have a lean mean setup but it's good. I'll need to post my specs once my graphics card is updated.

Of course there are different preferations and I'm glad that's how it is!
I just didn't like the looks of the early Razer mice (Copperhead, Krait, Diamondback,...) and they were much more expensive than most mice by Logitech. I would've loved to buy a Mamba (because of the form, not the specs, I don't really need/care for them) but the tests I've read plus the pretty high price kinda ruined it for me :-(
But I'm going to replace my mouse and keyboard (most likely a MS Sidewinder X4) along witha completely new PC and will take a look at other manufacturers :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium