AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 4.0ghz
Antec High Current Gamer 850W
Asus Evo R2.0
Teamgroup Vulcan Orange 2x4gb
Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4gb
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1tb
Asus VE247H 24" widescreen x2

Temporary flat until me and my wife find a new house/flat hence the desk.....
2irxlw4.jpg

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Rig
Windows 8.1 64 bit pro
AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 4.0ghz
Antec High Current Gamer 850W
Asus Evo R2.0
Teamgroup Vulcan Orange 2x4gb
Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4gb
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 1tb
Asus VE247H 24" widescreen x2

[...]

What case do you have?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
@cw1988
Yeah, the choice is sheer endless, considering the factors (number of HDD/SSD bays, supported MoBo sizes, some don't even ahve 5.25" bays, color, number and position of possible fans and fan sizes, support for closed watercooling units/custom watercooling, airflow and noise level, side panel window, max. GPU lenght, max. CPU cooler height,...).

I'm not assuming that you're new to this, just a little info on the side ;-) PCPartPicker.com gives you a fair amount of filters to zero in on the cases compatible with your parts but some factors aren't included (you have to pick your parts first to see if they are compatible with the cases; e.g. my case (Corsair Graphite 230T) is compatible with compact watercooling but only with certain models).

The most popular ones right now seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 and Bitfenix Shinobi.

@Daniel
What exactly do you want to upgrade? Still the CPU and GPU? Or do you want to start a completely new build?

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
@cw1988
Yeah, the choice is sheer endless, considering the factors (number of HDD/SSD bays, supported MoBo sizes, some don't even ahve 5.25" bays, color, number and position of possible fans and fan sizes, support for closed watercooling units/custom watercooling, airflow and noise level, side panel window, max. GPU lenght, max. CPU cooler height,...).

I'm not assuming that you're new to this, just a little info on the side ;-) PCPartPicker.com gives you a fair amount of filters to zero in on the cases compatible with your parts but some factors aren't included (you have to pick your parts first to see if they are compatible with the cases; e.g. my case (Corsair Graphite 230T) is compatible with compact watercooling but only with certain models).

The most popular ones right now seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 and Bitfenix Shinobi.

@Daniel
What exactly do you want to upgrade? Still the CPU and GPU? Or do you want to start a completely new build?

Im based in the UK so I have been ordering off overclockers and dabs. Overclockers has no filtering but dabs does and it doesn't seem too bad.

I would say I am fairly new to it as the last one I built was a very long time ago. One thing I didn't look for in the case I bought was the motherboard plate for efficient cable management which I regret but both those cases you posted 1: look very good, especially the fractal r4, and 2: they both have the motherboard plates for cable management.

Up until two days ago I didn't have an SSD, I just bought a 1tb wd blue and was advised to get an SSD just for the OS and programs and it is such a difference, I mean reading the reviews it is hard to imagine the difference it can make but when I booted up by PC for the first time I was quite shocked.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter where you'll actually buy it. PCPartPicker just offers a neat compatibility option so you'll know what parts will work together.
Also it should show you the cheapest stores for each part.

Most newer cases offer cable management, some even more than others (like with rubber grommets on the cut out for the cables and more space between the side panel and mobo backside).
The best way to choose the right case for you will be picking some cases that fit your needs an watch/read some reviews (don't want to promote it but LinusTechTips has some nice video reviews on YouTube).

SSDs are awesome for OSs but they are better for reading, writing shortens their lifespan (although most SSDs will last a few years).

Edit: You should look into configuring your SSD right, so it will last longer. There's a whole bunch of settings you should dis/enable. Just google it, there are tons of articles that don't go into depth (like messing around with the registry).

Edit 2: Great, now I want to upgrade my PC too -_- You're right, it IS a curse! Especially when you're a perfectionist^^

Last edited:

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter where you'll actually buy it. PCPartPicker just offers a neat compatibility option so you'll know what parts will work together.
Also it should show you the cheapest stores for each part.

Most newer cases offer cable management, some even more than others (like with rubber grommets on the cut out for the cables and more space between the side panel and mobo backside).
The best way to choose the right case for you will be picking some cases that fit your needs an watch/read some reviews (don't want to promote it but LinusTechTips has some nice video reviews on YouTube).

SSDs are awesome for OSs but they are better for reading, writing shortens their lifespan (although most SSDs will last a few years).

Edit: You should look into configuring your SSD right, so it will last longer. There's a whole bunch of settings you should dis/enable. Just google it, there are tons of articles that don't go into depth (like messing around with the registry).

Edit 2: Great, now I want to upgrade my PC too -_- You're right, it IS a curse! Especially when you're a perfectionist^^

So this is what im going to go for for my new case:

Corsair Carbide 500R Midi Tower Case - Black/White (CC-9011013-WW) [CC-9011013-WW]

And for the CPU cooler, I think im going to go for this:
Zalman CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler [CNPS11X Extreme]

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice choice! I have a Corsair case myself (the orange Graphite 230T).
Does your MoBo have enough fan headers? The case comes with already 4 fans pre-installed.

As for the CPU cooler, even if it was the best one on the market, I'd go with something more "stylish" :p That's the reason why I'll probably never end up with a Noctua fan/cooler^^
Any height problems with your RAM and the cooler?

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice choice! I have a Corsair case myself (the orange Graphite 230T).
Does your MoBo have enough fan headers? The case comes with already 4 fans pre-installed.

As for the CPU cooler, even if it was the best one on the market, I'd go with something more "stylish" :p That's the reason why I'll probably never end up with a Noctua fan/cooler^^
Any height problems with your RAM and the cooler?

The case itself as you said comes with 4 preinstalled. Three 120mms(two front, one rear) and the 200mm side fan. All of these four fans get plugged into the cases fan controller so it will only use one header on the MoBo but will require a 4 pin molex directly to the controller. Fine with me as my PSU came with a million cables lol

I have three 120mm fans in my current case so they are being transferred over and will fill my remaining three MoBo fan headers which will result in 6 120mms, and 1 200mm when I first get the case. haha!! Im thinking of keeping the Corsair fans in the same location as they come, two front and one rear, and then two of my three on the top of the case, and the other one attached either to either one of the HDD bits on the inside of the case, or right at the bottom of the case.

If I end up wanting more fans in it then i'm just going to get a fan controller. There is a nice one on overclockers that has a meshy front on it which ties in with the case. Functional and attractive

The only other Coolers I was looking at was the Akasa Venom Medusa or the Zalman CNPS12X because they are very highly rated and they look absolutely badass!! Although cost wise I'm trying to figure out if I want to get everything in one go or spread the cost.

In regards to clearance, My RAM is low profile, so the majority of the coolers will either just fit with the RAM in channel 1 and 3, or if not then putting the RAM in channel 2 and 4 will be fine. Only thing I need to be conscious of is the height of the CPU cooler as the max cooler height for the case is 180mm

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Wow, it's high time I upgraded my PC. Specs-
Cpu-Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 Ghz dual core
Ram-4 GB ddr2 (4x1GB)
Graphics card- NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 2 Gb
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro w/update 1 32 bit
HDD -WD Caviar Blue 160 Gb
Monitor-HP vp17 17" LCD
It came with Windows Vista and 512 Mb ram lol ;) (2007)

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
My rig that has been freshly rebuilt.

CPU - Intel i5 4570
Motherboard - ECS B85H3-M3
RAM - Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB DDR3 2400MHz (8GB x 2)
GPU - EVGA Superclock NVidia GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB
Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DG
OS - Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64
ODD - LG BD-RE
SSD - Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD, ADATA SP900 240GB SSD, Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD
HDD - WD Scorpio Blue 320GB HDD 2.5"
Monitor - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD With AX510 speaker
Case - Cooler Master N200
Cooling - Corsair H100
PSU - XFX XTR Series P1-650B-BEFX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Full Modular Active PFC

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow, it's high time I upgraded my PC. Specs-
Cpu-Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 Ghz dual core
Ram-4 GB ddr2 (4x1GB)
Graphics card- NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 2 Gb
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro w/update 1 32 bit
HDD -WD Caviar Blue 160 Gb
Monitor-HP vp17 17" LCD
It came with Windows Vista and 512 Mb ram lol ;) (2007)

When you update please keep in mind that Windows 8.1 32bit only supports up to 4GB of RAM!

SSD - Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD, ADATA SP900 240GB SSD, Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD

Nice, almost 1TB of SSDs.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Next upgrade to my PC will be a new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB. Would go AMD but my Radeon 6770 doesn't display my monitors by default. Everytime I boot the computer up I have to push the reset button then the computer will show the display on the monitors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6