10-29-2017 10:02 AM
280 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Thanks for the feedback mate!

Seeing your build progress gives me the urge to randomly tinker with my build ;)
    If this already gives you the urge to tinker with your build.....DON'T watch build guides on YouTube^^

Altough, that's the last progress for some time. Still figuring out if I wanna get an air cooler or AIO water cooling unit for my CPU, eventough it's completely unnecessary (i3, no OC).
    06-26-2014 05:09 PM
    If this already gives you the urge to tinker with your build.....DON'T watch build guides on YouTube^^

Altough, that's the last progress for some time. Still figuring out if I wanna get an air cooler or AIO water cooling unit for my CPU, eventough it's completely unnecessary (i3, no OC).
    Seeing builds in general makes me want to tinker. I definitely watch PC related videos on youtube, including build guides. Just wish I could get my hands on all the gear they get to work with ;)
    06-27-2014 11:24 AM

Even if you don't need a water cooler, it definitely improves the overall look of your machine, I moved from a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Air Cooler, to an H100i water cooler, and immediately made the whole build look 10x better

I did need water though, the Tuniq was beginning to struggle with my FX / OC
    06-27-2014 11:41 AM
    Even if you don't need a water cooler, it definitely improves the overall look of your machine, I moved from a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Air Cooler, to an H100i water cooler, and immediately made the whole build look 10x better

I did need water though, the Tuniq was beginning to struggle with my FX / OC
    Plus, you don't have to worry about the height of your RAM sticks. I find that very annoying.
    06-28-2014 01:01 PM
    Plus, you don't have to worry about the height of your RAM sticks. I find that very annoying.
    Yea good point, I had to loosen the fan on my Tuniq to fit my RAM under it, everything's nice and clear now, much better airflow around the whole machine with that huge chunk of metal out the way
    06-29-2014 10:45 AM
    Case: Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core @ 4.62 GHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 SuperClocked 2 GB
    PSU: Corsair CX500 500W
    HDD: WD Blue 1 TB
    Last edited by Ashalinia; 07-14-2014 at 03:12 AM.
    07-14-2014 01:25 AM
    Case: Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core @ 4.62 GHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 SuperClocked 2 GB
    PSU: Corsair CX500 500W
    HDD: WD Blue 1 TB
    Nice solid rig!

What CPU cooler do you have?
    07-14-2014 12:37 PM
    Nice solid rig!

What CPU cooler do you have?
    Thanks! And I'm actually still using the stock cooler haha. I was holding off on it because I didn't have enough money for one at the time, but now I'm considering a 212 EVO.
    07-14-2014 01:47 PM
    Thanks! And I'm actually still using the stock cooler haha. I was holding off on it because I didn't have enough money for one at the time, but now I'm considering a 212 EVO.
    Really? You got the CPU overclocked pretty high. An aftermarket cooler will keep the temps lower and prolong the lifespan of your CPU. I would recommend you get it as soon as possible (and some nice thermal paste, like the Noctua NT-H1 or something from Arctic). Overclocking over 1GHz with the stock cooler can't be healthy for the CPU ;-)
    07-14-2014 02:44 PM
    Yeah, I figured. At non-gaming usage (regular Internet browsing, watching videos and listening to music) I'm around 25C and my Vcore is about 1.41. A little on the high end but I read max safe voltage is 1.45 and threshold is 1.5.

Pretty happy with these speeds though. No clue why it hits 4.57 instead of 4.6-4.62.
    untitled.png
    07-14-2014 05:53 PM
    Keep in mind that the temps shown by AMD CPUs are almost never trustworthy. Some programs just show the wrong temps or nothing (HWMonitor even showed -3 to 0C on the A6-5400K in my other PC).

And I wouldn't worry about the 4,57GHz showing up. I have an i3-4130 running on stock speed and it shows up in Task Manager as 3.33GHz instead of 3.40GHz.
    It even says your max. speed is 4.62GHz in the right column.
    07-14-2014 06:17 PM
    Hm, well it's actually going between 25-32C when I'm doing light to moderate stuff, which seems relatively accurate to me. I was getting about 19-20 at idle. Do these numbers seem unusual?
    07-14-2014 07:10 PM
    Depends on the temperature of your room. But if you're not located somewhere cold I suspect those temps are kinda off. Having the stock cooler, an i3-4130 at stock clockspeed, 5 case fans and an outside temperature of about 21C (ambient even lower, since I have a tower fan running 24/7) right now at night, I get about 35-40C at idle. With you being located in Texas and about 32C (don't know if you have an AC running) and an overclocked AMD CPU those temps usually should be higher (especially with the stock cooler). The PC in my living room with the A6-5400K usually gets about 45C when at idle (Hyper TX3 CPU cooler, stock clockspeed, 3 fans).

Then again....this is just me guessing^^
    07-14-2014 07:45 PM
    Well I also have 3 case fans plugged in, forgot to mention that. But yeah maybe they are off. I'm also in a relatively cold (air-conditioned room) with my fan up high.
    07-14-2014 08:08 PM
    Here's my rig! It's like a never ending build haha. Love it though. Works for me.

Cpu - Amd FX8350
    Mobo - Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
    Ram - Gskill Sniper 2x8 1866 lat 9
    Graphics - MSI Gaming GTX 970
    PSU - CM V1000
    Case - CM Storm Trooper
    SSD/HDD -
    Corsair neutron 256gb
    Samsung 840 evo 250gb
    Seagate Barracuda 2tb
    Cooling - CM Nepton 280L
    2 CM 120 jetflos and some others to be replaced soon.
    Optical - LG 14x Bluray rw
    Card Reader - Rosewill 75-1
    11-10-2014 09:17 PM
    In response to Zeroplanets from another thread. Here is my recently built Rig

CPU: i7 4790K
    CPU Cooler: h110 liquid cooler. (280mm radiator)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus
    RAM: (2 x4) 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866, Latency of 9
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    PSU: Corsair HX750 Gold Plus
    SSD: 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

NOTES: I do not have a HDD because I only want SSD for performance. Looking to buy a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD when they go on sale again. I also don't have an Optical drive because I download my games digitally usually from steam. I'm also considering buying another 16 GB of Ram. But I won't until I see that my system needs it. Also waiting for G-sync monitors to come down in price before I buy a better monitor. Running 1080p LED 60hz right now.

This being my first build I'm overall really impressed with what I was able to get for my money. This thing is amazing!
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    11-12-2014 11:53 PM
    In response to Zeroplanets from another thread. Here is my recently built Rig

CPU: i7 4790K
    CPU Cooler: h110 liquid cooler. (280mm radiator)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus
    RAM: (2 x4) 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866, Latency of 9
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    PSU: Corsair HX750 Gold Plus
    SSD: 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

NOTES: I do not have a HDD because I only want SSD for performance. Looking to buy a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD when they go on sale again. I also don't have an Optical drive because I download my games digitally usually from steam. I'm also considering buying another 16 GB of Ram. But I won't until I see that my system needs it. Also waiting for G-sync monitors to come down in price before I buy a better monitor. Running 1080p LED 60hz right now.

This being my first build I'm overall really impressed with what I was able to get for my money. This thing is amazing!
    Are you sure you want to use SSDs for mass storage? The performance may be great but the prices are still very high (regarding GB-per-$ ratio). Have you considered putting 2x 1TB HDDs in RAID0 for better performance? Or even 4x 1TB in RAID10? (2TB of storage + redundancy in case one or even 2 drives fail and - depending on what drives you use - it's cheaper than a 512GB SSD).
    I have no experience with RAID systems, just wanted to throw in the idea since I'm all about cost-effectivness/getting the best performance for the money ;-)
    May I ask what the overall price of your system was?

16GB RAM are usually not necessary if you're not going to edit vids/pics or run VMs/emulators. Just keep an eye on the performance tab in your task manager (just switch back to desktop while the game is running and open task manager) to see if those 8GB RAM are not enough. I personally have 8GB RAM too and never had a scenario in which all 8GB were used, even with a game running, downloads, Firefox with many tabs open in the background, iTunes playing music,...
    11-13-2014 10:35 AM
    Are you sure you want to use SSDs for mass storage? The performance may be great but the prices are still very high (regarding GB-per-$ ratio). Have you considered putting 2x 1TB HDDs in RAID0 for better performance? Or even 4x 1TB in RAID10? (2TB of storage + redundancy in case one or even 2 drives fail and - depending on what drives you use - it's cheaper than a 512GB SSD).
    I have no experience with RAID systems, just wanted to throw in the idea since I'm all about cost-effectivness/getting the best performance for the money ;-)

16GB RAM are usually not necessary if you're not going to edit vids/pics or run VMs/emulators. Just keep an eye on the performance tab in your task manager (just switch back to desktop while the game is running and open task manager) to see if those 8GB RAM are not enough. I personally have 8GB RAM too and never had a scenario in which all 8GB were used, even with a game running, downloads, Firefox with many tabs open in the background, iTunes playing music,...
    I went 16gb on ram cause I dint want to have to worry anytime soon. I do render some videos as well...
    11-13-2014 11:41 AM

Overall I spent $1400. I originally wanted to spend $1500. But I cut some corners to bring down the cost. After speaking with my dad some more about Raid 0. I'm probably just going to buy another 250Gb Samsung SSD and do Raid 0 with them. I'll wait to see what Black Friday and Cyber Monday brings for sales before I buy. I'll get better performance and more storage. I'm all about SSD's. lol. I don't think i'll be getting HDD.
    Last edited by xboxonthego3; 11-17-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    11-17-2014 08:29 PM
    Overall I spent $1400. I originally wanted to spend $1500. But I cut some corners to bring down the cost. After speaking with my dad some more about Raid 0. I'm probably just going to buy another 250Gb Samsung SSD and do Raid 0 with them. I'll wait to see what Black Friday and Cyber Monday brings for sales before I buy. I'll get better performance and more storage. I'm all about SSD's. lol. I don't think i'll be getting HDD.
    Wow, 500GB of storage would be way too little space for me^^ Right now I have 3.5TB in my rig (2x WD 1TB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB). That 500GB would be full with my movies and games alone^^
    The thing is, I just don't trust SSDs right now to be capable of all that writing/deleting. Manufacturers say they are capable of 20GB workload per day but still....there is a limit to it. HDDs may have more points of failure since they have mechanical/moving parts inside of them but...I don't know, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with only SSDs for storage. Plus, I'm a student, so HDDs are way more affordable for me (regarding price-per-GB ratio)^^

Would you guys mind posting a pic or your rigs? Just curious what they look like ;-)
    11-17-2014 09:56 PM
    GPU: GTX 770 factory superclocked.
    CPU: i7 4790K (4 GHz)
    Ram: 8 Gbs (2x4)
    SSD: 150 Gb
    HDD: 1.5 Tb

Running latest Windows 10 tech preview build (cause I live life on the edge)
    xboxonthego3 and QwarkDreams like this.
    11-17-2014 10:36 PM
    128KB
    00.1 MHZ
    1MB of ram
    CRT socket
    floppy disk drive

Yep.... Got all the hot ladies with my sexy beast of a machine
    11-18-2014 12:06 AM
    Would you guys mind posting a pic or your rigs? Just curious what they look like ;-)
    I'll try to take some pics of my machine this weekend.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    11-20-2014 08:48 PM
    Here's some pics of my rig: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Note: There is very poor lighting in my bedroom, and the pics were taken with a Lumia 820 :P No Pureview, lol.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    11-21-2014 03:33 PM
    Here's some pics of my rig: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2cjpg

Note: There is very poor lighting in my bedroom, and the pics were taken with a Lumia 820 :P No Pureview, lol.
    Damn, that's one dusty PC^^
    11-21-2014 11:13 PM
280 ... 56789 ...