Post your Rig Specs Here!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that the temps shown by AMD CPUs are almost never trustworthy. Some programs just show the wrong temps or nothing (HWMonitor even showed -3 to 0?C on the A6-5400K in my other PC).

And I wouldn't worry about the 4,57GHz showing up. I have an i3-4130 running on stock speed and it shows up in Task Manager as 3.33GHz instead of 3.40GHz.
It even says your max. speed is 4.62GHz in the right column.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hm, well it's actually going between 25-32C when I'm doing light to moderate stuff, which seems relatively accurate to me. I was getting about 19-20 at idle. Do these numbers seem unusual?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the temperature of your room. But if you're not located somewhere cold I suspect those temps are kinda off. Having the stock cooler, an i3-4130 at stock clockspeed, 5 case fans and an outside temperature of about 21?C (ambient even lower, since I have a tower fan running 24/7) right now at night, I get about 35-40?C at idle. With you being located in Texas and about 32?C (don't know if you have an AC running) and an overclocked AMD CPU those temps usually should be higher (especially with the stock cooler). The PC in my living room with the A6-5400K usually gets about 45?C when at idle (Hyper TX3 CPU cooler, stock clockspeed, 3 fans).

Then again....this is just me guessing^^

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well I also have 3 case fans plugged in, forgot to mention that. But yeah maybe they are off. I'm also in a relatively cold (air-conditioned room) with my fan up high.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's my rig! It's like a never ending build haha. Love it though. Works for me.

Cpu - Amd FX8350
Mobo - Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
Ram - Gskill Sniper 2x8 1866 lat 9
Graphics - MSI Gaming GTX 970
PSU - CM V1000
Case - CM Storm Trooper
SSD/HDD -
Corsair neutron 256gb
Samsung 840 evo 250gb
Seagate Barracuda 2tb
Cooling - CM Nepton 280L
2 CM 120 jetflos and some others to be replaced soon.
Optical - LG 14x Bluray rw
Card Reader - Rosewill 75-1

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In response to Zeroplanets from another thread. Here is my recently built Rig

CPU: i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: h110 liquid cooler. (280mm radiator)
Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus
RAM: (2 x4) 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866, Latency of 9
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
PSU: Corsair HX750 Gold Plus
SSD: 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

NOTES: I do not have a HDD because I only want SSD for performance. Looking to buy a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD when they go on sale again. I also don't have an Optical drive because I download my games digitally usually from steam. I'm also considering buying another 16 GB of Ram. But I won't until I see that my system needs it. Also waiting for G-sync monitors to come down in price before I buy a better monitor. Running 1080p LED 60hz right now.

This being my first build I'm overall really impressed with what I was able to get for my money. This thing is amazing!

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
In response to Zeroplanets from another thread. Here is my recently built Rig

CPU: i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: h110 liquid cooler. (280mm radiator)
Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus
RAM: (2 x4) 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1866, Latency of 9
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
PSU: Corsair HX750 Gold Plus
SSD: 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

NOTES: I do not have a HDD because I only want SSD for performance. Looking to buy a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD when they go on sale again. I also don't have an Optical drive because I download my games digitally usually from steam. I'm also considering buying another 16 GB of Ram. But I won't until I see that my system needs it. Also waiting for G-sync monitors to come down in price before I buy a better monitor. Running 1080p LED 60hz right now.

This being my first build I'm overall really impressed with what I was able to get for my money. This thing is amazing!

Are you sure you want to use SSDs for mass storage? The performance may be great but the prices are still very high (regarding GB-per-$ ratio). Have you considered putting 2x 1TB HDDs in RAID0 for better performance? Or even 4x 1TB in RAID10? (2TB of storage + redundancy in case one or even 2 drives fail and - depending on what drives you use - it's cheaper than a 512GB SSD).
I have no experience with RAID systems, just wanted to throw in the idea since I'm all about cost-effectivness/getting the best performance for the money ;-)
May I ask what the overall price of your system was?

16GB RAM are usually not necessary if you're not going to edit vids/pics or run VMs/emulators. Just keep an eye on the performance tab in your task manager (just switch back to desktop while the game is running and open task manager) to see if those 8GB RAM are not enough. I personally have 8GB RAM too and never had a scenario in which all 8GB were used, even with a game running, downloads, Firefox with many tabs open in the background, iTunes playing music,...

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you want to use SSDs for mass storage? The performance may be great but the prices are still very high (regarding GB-per-$ ratio). Have you considered putting 2x 1TB HDDs in RAID0 for better performance? Or even 4x 1TB in RAID10? (2TB of storage + redundancy in case one or even 2 drives fail and - depending on what drives you use - it's cheaper than a 512GB SSD).
I have no experience with RAID systems, just wanted to throw in the idea since I'm all about cost-effectivness/getting the best performance for the money ;-)

16GB RAM are usually not necessary if you're not going to edit vids/pics or run VMs/emulators. Just keep an eye on the performance tab in your task manager (just switch back to desktop while the game is running and open task manager) to see if those 8GB RAM are not enough. I personally have 8GB RAM too and never had a scenario in which all 8GB were used, even with a game running, downloads, Firefox with many tabs open in the background, iTunes playing music,...
I went 16gb on ram cause I dint want to have to worry anytime soon. I do render some videos as well...

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Overall I spent $1400. I originally wanted to spend $1500. But I cut some corners to bring down the cost. After speaking with my dad some more about Raid 0. I'm probably just going to buy another 250Gb Samsung SSD and do Raid 0 with them. I'll wait to see what Black Friday and Cyber Monday brings for sales before I buy. I'll get better performance and more storage. I'm all about SSD's. lol. I don't think i'll be getting HDD.

Last edited:

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Overall I spent $1400. I originally wanted to spend $1500. But I cut some corners to bring down the cost. After speaking with my dad some more about Raid 0. I'm probably just going to buy another 250Gb Samsung SSD and do Raid 0 with them. I'll wait to see what Black Friday and Cyber Monday brings for sales before I buy. I'll get better performance and more storage. I'm all about SSD's. lol. I don't think i'll be getting HDD.

Wow, 500GB of storage would be way too little space for me^^ Right now I have 3.5TB in my rig (2x WD 1TB, 1x Samsung 1.5TB). That 500GB would be full with my movies and games alone^^
The thing is, I just don't trust SSDs right now to be capable of all that writing/deleting. Manufacturers say they are capable of 20GB workload per day but still....there is a limit to it. HDDs may have more points of failure since they have mechanical/moving parts inside of them but...I don't know, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with only SSDs for storage. Plus, I'm a student, so HDDs are way more affordable for me (regarding price-per-GB ratio)^^

Would you guys mind posting a pic or your rigs? Just curious what they look like ;-)

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
GPU: GTX 770 factory superclocked.
CPU: i7 4790K (4 GHz)
Ram: 8 Gbs (2x4)
SSD: 150 Gb
HDD: 1.5 Tb

Running latest Windows 10 tech preview build (cause I live life on the edge)

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Here's some photos. Note I use UE6000 headphones now. Not the 4000 that's in the one pic.

What software do you use for watiching blurays on your PC? Fortunately my drive came with PowerDVD but other than that the options are kinda scarce for bluray playback, regarding good software.

And what's the small red thing in the PCI-E slot?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What software do you use for watiching blurays on your PC? Fortunately my drive came with PowerDVD but other than that the options are kinda scarce for bluray playback, regarding good software.

And what's the small red thing in the PCI-E slot?
I use Nero platinum 2014. Comes with loads of stuff but the playback and controls have worked great for me. Got it for $40 when released. Now theres the 2015 version.

The small red thing is an Asus wifi card for ac1900. I foget the model number though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte