Deciding between an ASUS T100 and a refurb Surface Pro

Ravynmagi

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a refurb Surface Pro 64GB from eBay this week for $500 and have been using the tablet. But I'm thinking about returning it and getting an ASUS T100 instead.

The Surface Pro (talking first gen) is really nice. But the battery life is nearly a deal breaker. And I'm not in love with the 2 pounds of weight or the $130 keyboard either. But I do like the full HD display, fast processor and SSD, and digitizer (just wish I had a better place to stick the pen).

I played with the ASUS T100 at Best Buy. I like the lighter weight and much longer battery life. The Baytrail and eMMC will be enough performance. The keyboard concerns me. It's hard to really test a keyboard on a store display counter, but I'm sure it's not going to be as nice as this stupid $130 Type Cover 2. I worry about the plastic back getting slippery in my hands as well. But it's almost half the price ($380 for 64GB).

So I feel conflicted between do I want the better laptop like experience in the Surface Pro (which includes being tethered to a power cord) or saving some money and going with the better tablet experience in the T100 until the perfect tablet arrives?

It's a dang shame the Surface 2 doesn't have a Baytrail and Windows 8, that would be pretty close to perfect.

PS. Plan B is to just return the Type Cover 2 and waiting for the Power Cover next year to supplement my battery life.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
What about the Dell Venue 11 Pro? $499 for the tablet (Baytrail and 64gb) and $129 for a truly awesome KB with extra battery. The Asus T100 KB build quality is major weakness...

Ravynmagi

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what's going on with the Venue 11 Pro. It's not available in any store, Dell.com shows a January ship date (seems like it gets later each time I look). I hate ordering anything that isn't available now.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Dell. As much as I'm a fan of the Surface (primarily RT/2, not so much the Pro) I'd recommend the Asus T100. It seems like an easy choice. If I didn't have access to a cheap RT, the Asus T100 would be my choice. (An RT for $169-$199 makes a fine placeholder until the full Windows tablets mature)

For comparison... for tablets (and I own quite a few), nothing comes close in longevity to my iPad 4 running iOS 6.1.3. Easily 12-14 hours of heavy usage. Everything else, including the Surface RT, pales in comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac