Disappointed this will never come to be (at least from most people's understandings)?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The Ativ Q was a unique device. Sure, the Android side was a simulator, and couldn't take the full advantage of the i5, and how many people would install android apps, but the idea was great. I mean, it was so quick to go from windows to vanilla android, and vice versa. You could also pin android apps to your windows start screen! But, this concept never lasted. WPCentral posted about the dual-boot disadvantages a little while ago, and that other companies were going to do this idea, but I think if companies put a good amount of effort for a fluid and nice experience for windows, and for the majority of their time to be on windows, and use android for when their tasks or enjoyment require it. What do you guys think? Horrible idea or unique? Sound off below!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Was this a Windows 8 (x86) or RT tablet?

If it were x86, it would be possible to dual boot and run another OS. Granted, it wouldn't be as easy with UEFI.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Bluestacks for the past year. More as an experiment than anything else. It does work; but it is buggy as can be. I would not place a lot of faith in it. Nice to play with when you have a little time; but you would be hard pressed to recommend it as something to depend on. Believe it or not it works better under Windows 8.1 than XP or Windows 7. It is a emulator, not really a OS.

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was excited when I first seen this tablet. I love the S-Pen and IMO Samsung's Windows 8 effort in the tablet/hybrid have not been very inspiring.....or executed well. The Ativ 700 and its keyboard problems were dismal. So when I seen the Q's specs that's what I wanted. The dual boot was good cause it would make up for the lack of apps, but the screen, S-Pen and slider design was awesome. Now, we get a rebranded Ativ, with the same problems and 3rd generation processor from Samsung.

I had read the Q was shelved for patent reasons. Hopefully they get cleared up and we see it. Aren't others flirting with a dual booting OS's?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe it to be very unlikely any device dual booting any Windows flavor and Android on the same machine will ever see commercial release. Is it possible, sure. Would MSFT or GOOG allow it, heh...... NOT HAPPENING!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99