2 in 1 or 2 separate devices?

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't decide on which would be best, a 2 in 1 or to buy a separate laptop and tablet. I like the idea of having a single device for both, but at the same time it seems you're getting a mixed bag of each. Either the 2 in 1 is a great laptop and a so so tablet, or a great tablet and a so so laptop. Seems with price it'd be about the same. A mid to high-end ultrabook and a good tablet equal the price of a high-end all in one. What do you guys think? Any advantages/disadvantages besides having one or two devices?

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have separate. Throw them in my purse, no problem. The advantage of it is that I get the laptop that suits my needs, and the tablet that suits my wants. If you NEED a machine for work or school, those specs should be what you buy, and not in the middle just to have the best of both worlds. You either end up with a screen that is too hard to use for tablet mode, or a screen that isn't that good for doing work on.

melte

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I got a Sony Vaio Tap 11: a 2 in 1 that is probably more like 80% tablet and 20% laptop. I think this machine, together with the Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro are the future of windows devices (more so than the Microsoft Surface Pro- which is more of a laptop than a tablet). I think there is a role for such devices if you travel for work and don't want to carry a separate laptop and tablet for work and play.

The only problem with these devices now is the pricing. But in terms of price vs performance and portability ratio, I think manufacturers are slowly getting there.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
We don't know what your needs are, aka what do you plan to do? I cannot imagine myself developing apps on 10" convertible device, but for writing and other stuff it would be perfect.

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
We don't know what your needs are, aka what do you plan to do? I cannot imagine myself developing apps on 10" convertible device, but for writing and other stuff it would be perfect.

Not a power user by any means. Just everyday web surfing, email, light schooling, and basic everyday computing. I'm away from the house a lot so portability is important. My laptop is ancient now so its time to upgrade.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Not a power user by any means. Just everyday web surfing, email, light schooling, and basic everyday computing. I'm away from the house a lot so portability is important. My laptop is ancient now so its time to upgrade.

Then 2 in 1 is best solution. However I'd go with x86 architecture on the other hand only new ARM device is Surface 2 :) I suggest Surface 2 Pro if it is available in your country and within price range. Yoga 11S is also good choice and Dell has Venue 11 Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium