I can't decide on which would be best, a 2 in 1 or to buy a separate laptop and tablet. I like the idea of having a single device for both, but at the same time it seems you're getting a mixed bag of each. Either the 2 in 1 is a great laptop and a so so tablet, or a great tablet and a so so laptop. Seems with price it'd be about the same. A mid to high-end ultrabook and a good tablet equal the price of a high-end all in one. What do you guys think? Any advantages/disadvantages besides having one or two devices?
    12-21-2013 06:00 PM
    I have separate. Throw them in my purse, no problem. The advantage of it is that I get the laptop that suits my needs, and the tablet that suits my wants. If you NEED a machine for work or school, those specs should be what you buy, and not in the middle just to have the best of both worlds. You either end up with a screen that is too hard to use for tablet mode, or a screen that isn't that good for doing work on.
    12-21-2013 07:16 PM
    I got a Sony Vaio Tap 11: a 2 in 1 that is probably more like 80% tablet and 20% laptop. I think this machine, together with the Dell Venue 8 and 11 Pro are the future of windows devices (more so than the Microsoft Surface Pro- which is more of a laptop than a tablet). I think there is a role for such devices if you travel for work and don't want to carry a separate laptop and tablet for work and play.

The only problem with these devices now is the pricing. But in terms of price vs performance and portability ratio, I think manufacturers are slowly getting there.
    12-22-2013 01:28 AM
    We don't know what your needs are, aka what do you plan to do? I cannot imagine myself developing apps on 10" convertible device, but for writing and other stuff it would be perfect.
    12-22-2013 01:57 AM
    We don't know what your needs are, aka what do you plan to do? I cannot imagine myself developing apps on 10" convertible device, but for writing and other stuff it would be perfect.

Not a power user by any means. Just everyday web surfing, email, light schooling, and basic everyday computing. I'm away from the house a lot so portability is important. My laptop is ancient now so its time to upgrade.
    12-22-2013 09:29 AM
    Not a power user by any means. Just everyday web surfing, email, light schooling, and basic everyday computing. I'm away from the house a lot so portability is important. My laptop is ancient now so its time to upgrade.
    Then 2 in 1 is best solution. However I'd go with x86 architecture on the other hand only new ARM device is Surface 2 :) I suggest Surface 2 Pro if it is available in your country and within price range. Yoga 11S is also good choice and Dell has Venue 11 Pro.
    12-22-2013 09:35 AM