SD/Micro SD Cards in tablets

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am a windows phone user, but I am looking to get a tablet. On windows phones that actually have a micro SD card slot, you can basically only use the SD card to store photos/media, not apps. Does this same restriction exist on the windows tablets as well? Could I simply buy a 32gb tablet and a micro SD card to expand the storage or would I be better of springing for a 64gb tablet?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am a windows phone user, but I am looking to get a tablet. On windows phones that actually have a micro SD card slot, you can basically only use the SD card to store photos/media, not apps. Does this same restriction exist on the windows tablets as well? Could I simply buy a 32gb tablet and a micro SD card to expand the storage or would I be better of springing for a 64gb tablet?
My understanding is that this feature might be added in the upcoming update. Don't know about other tablets, but this restriction is here on my HP Envy x2.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how Windows RT handles it, so can't speak on that, but if it's a full Windows 8 device, then an SD card would be treated like another drive, and you can do anything with it that you can use a hard drive for. Keep in mind that an SD card is significantly slower than an SSD, though.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how Windows RT handles it, so can't speak on that, but if it's a full Windows 8 device, then an SD card would be treated like another drive, and you can do anything with it that you can use a hard drive for. Keep in mind that an SD card is significantly slower than an SSD, though.
My Envy x2 is a full Windows 8.1 hybrid. So if you're right, how do I move apps to the SD card? I looked into it and I can't figure it out.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I've read that, after taking into account the OS, there is only about 8-10gb of storage left on a 32gb tablet. Assuming one does not have the wherewithal to modify the registry, it seems like 64gb is the minimum amount of storage for a tablet to be useful. Do you tablet owners agree?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on what you're going to do with it, and how many apps (and what apps) you're going to install. For some people 32 GB will be all they'll ever use, as they will check email and surf the web. Others will install lots of games and apps, and 32 GB may not be enough. You're the only one who can really say which use pattern fits you the best.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Cool, I see. It's not like I'm running out of room on it, I was just curious. Thanks.

I would not do anything with the registry "hack" to get the apps to install on an SD card, some have reported that doing this with windows 8.1 does not work, and in fact has massive problems.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I would not do anything with the registry "hack" to get the apps to install on an SD card, some have reported that doing this with windows 8.1 does not work, and in fact has massive problems.
thanks for that. Like I said, I'm really not running outta room or anything. I was playing with my wife's GS4 and taught her how to do this. Btw, will this ability come to WP8 in a future update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo