Which Tablet?

James Allan

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I currently have a Blackberry Playbook, however I have recently purchased my laptop (Windows 8) for University, I also purchased a Nokia Lumia 625. Basically I am looking for a Windows tablet to take to University. I'll need to be able to edit documents, such as word (minor edits, nothing major), view power points, general reading/watching videos on the train etc. Ideally I'd like it to be portable, lightweight and with a decent battery life, enough to last an entire day of medium use.

Thanks guys

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently got the Dell Venue Pro 8 and I couldn't be happier with it. My previous tablet was an iPad mini and after using the Dell for a few days and getting used to the gestures and charms, I can't imagine going back.

Considering that it runs full Windows, comes with a license for Office and can be found for $250 (or better if you're patient), I don't think you can find a better value.

It does lack some things like HDMI out or a full size USB port but given its size (its thin) and price point, its to be expected. its just a matter of how important the size / feature set trade off is to you.

James Allan

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I think an 8 inch tablet would be best suited to me, I am too fussed about HDMI out etc, or even a USB port. Two key features are battery life and being lightweight

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, those can be a little subjective but the Dell is a little heavier than the iPad mini but its still lightweight in my opinion.

As far as battery life, I'm generally happy if I can get a full days use out of it without having to charge which, with my usage patterns I've been able to easily achieve. I would say I'm a medium duty user. I mostly browse the web, do some email, stream radio, read some books and play some simple games (ie solitaire, etc) so I don't watch movies or play graphics intensive games so I'm sure those would affect the battery life.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
You can also check out Lenovo Miix 2. Asus should release 8" tablet with Windows 8.1 soon - according to leaked renders and user manual.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Consider the Acer Iconia W4 too. Its a pretty good tablet. Just like the Toshiba Encore 8 the W4 has microHDMI and 64GB microSD support plus 9-10 hours battery life (may vary upon usage)

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
you are going to need a keyboard too probably.
Seems the Asus t-100 is cheap and comes with one. And GREAT battery life.
And in feb lenovo is releasing a Miix2 10 inch with a included keyboard. Im waiting for reviews. Seems to have a better screen than t-100

As far as 8 inch goes. There will soon be about 5 really good quality 8 inch win tablets out there. Too many 8 inch bargain tabletsIMO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett