CES 2014: A good time to lose faith in OEMs

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The non-PC stuff has been pretty good. The new webOS TV looks sharp and a few other things look like they could really pan out over time.

However, PC manufacturers continue to disappoint. The latest tablet announcements from Lenovo and Toshiba show exactly why the PC market is struggling. OEMs can't stop repackaging last year's design with a minor upgrade in specs. In an age of iconic devices most PC manufacturers are still wrapping their tablets in generic black plastic slabs with their name on the back. Nothing iconic about it.

Other product announcements aren't exactly mind blowing either. A few dual boot Android/Windows systems which I'm not holding my breath over and of course "new" laptops and AIOs. IMO, the latest PC/tablets announcements aren't interesting at all. Hopefully the best is yet to come at CES.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that solid computers with new specs or updates to existing lines fail to generate headlines. The only devices that make waves at CES are radical departures from the norm, even if they end up vaporware, or just plain stupid ideas. Think the Lenovo PC a few years ago that was a Windows laptop that converted into an Android tablet when you detached the screen from the keyboard.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the Lenovo 27 inch all in one. If the specs check out I will be looking to get one.

Just wondering, what kind of things are you looking for in new products?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to give Sony some credit for pushing a relatively wide range of new Windows 8 tablet-PCs, especially the VAIO Fit 11 that even includes an active digitizer (N-Trig). Credit to ASUS for bringing 8 inch Wacom Windows 8 goodness to the $299 price point.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When was the last time you saw something earthshaking in the tablet or smartphone market? When the iPhone was presented in 2007, when the iPad was presented in 2010?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Laura, are you interested in a smart watch? If so, what are you hoping to see?

To me, the only smart watch that has looked like something I'd want is the smart watch.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what people want. As markets mature there is less and less to differentiate products. After swearing never to buy anything from Dell years ago after a subpar laptop experience I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro for a relative for $99. That is a solid piece of hardware that looks good and feels great in your hand. I don't care if they leave the form factor the exact same for three years.

What I do want is mobile LTE, a discrete charging port, and hdmi out. You give me that and I will consider getting it. The Nokia 2520 was an amazing deal with the free keyboard/case. It was just a bit big for what I have in mind. These Bay Trail tablets are pretty amazing. Just wish there was an option for more than one at at&t.

The problem is that solid computers with new specs or updates to existing lines fail to generate headlines. The only devices that make waves at CES are radical departures from the norm, even if they end up vaporware, or just plain stupid ideas.

Agreed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos