It's been over a year since they announced they were bringing the app over to the windows store, and each time they've "submitted" the app to the windows store, some huge app breaking bug supposedly pops up. What's the hold up? Are they just understaffed? Were they too ambitious with their app and tried putting too much into version 1? Or did they just pocket the initial $80k in kickstarter money, and are now making an half-assed effort to get the app to the market?
    02-14-2014 02:30 PM
    I don't believe any of these things will be launched before Windows 8.1 drops. VLC AND Flipboard for Windows Phone. I don't expect to hear anything official on either until after Build.
    02-14-2014 05:12 PM
    I don't believe any of these things will be launched before Windows 8.1 drops. VLC AND Flipboard for Windows Phone. I don't expect to hear anything official on either until after Build.
    Actually, I was referring to the Windows 8/RT metro verison of VLC :P

I don't care about the WP version, since MoliPlayer is AWESOME. Actually, I'd gladly play for the app again if the team behind MoliPlayer made an app for Windows RT.
    02-14-2014 05:30 PM
    First off, I think you're being kind of a jerk about this. They most certainly didn't pocket the money and they're working non-stop to get this thing working. In fact, they've already helped the Windows platform a lot with their work in open source software on the Windows Store apps that they've released to help other developers and have helped to increase the quality of the store by doing so.

Its a mixture of the fact that they've got a big audio bug that keeps them from being accepted to the store, their Windows section is understaffed (they've got 4 guys working on the desktop and metro version while the other sections just deal with one way to code) and they have over 8 million lines of code to deal with. Making this app for Metro is a huge undertaking so I say give them a little more time.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    02-14-2014 05:44 PM
    There were all sorts of news reports that VLC would be available today - but im not seeing it in the store as of yet - Cmon MS, approve it already. A lot of people have been waiting for it.
    03-10-2014 04:54 PM
    Didn't hey say that vlc was approved? Where is it?
    03-10-2014 05:14 PM
    Should be out in a few days!
    03-10-2014 09:23 PM
    Posted to the Videolan twitter feed:

hlstdnh.png

Edit: They say this initial version is x86/x64-only though, but that's kind of what I expected.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    03-11-2014 08:56 AM
    Available now!

Team says a RT and Windows Phone version will come later.

VLC for Windows 8 app for Windows in the Windows Store
    03-12-2014 03:50 PM
    Good spot HeyCori :)
    HeyCori likes this.
    03-12-2014 04:16 PM
    We need an RT version!
    HeyCori likes this.
    03-12-2014 04:17 PM
    This is big news.... but I can't install it for some reason
    03-12-2014 04:22 PM
    Gives an error, and it says it is for winRT? Why do you say the rt version will come later.
    03-12-2014 04:28 PM
    Gives an error, and it says it is for winRT? Why do you say the rt version will come later.
    Windows RT is an OS for ARM devices. Right now, there are less than 10 models out.
    03-12-2014 04:50 PM
    03-12-2014 05:00 PM
    Windows RT is an OS for ARM devices. Right now, there are less than 10 models out.
    I don't know how you comment is related, anyway while your argument is valid, but I can tell you that PCs already have vlc, on the other hand winrt lacks codec support, and that's why the 10 models are more important.

Back to my comment, the app description says "VLC for Windows 8 is an experimental port of VLC media player for the WinRT platform."
    But it doesn't run on winrt, weird description.
    03-12-2014 06:32 PM
    I don't know how you comment is related, anyway while your argument is valid, but I can tell you that PCs already have vlc, on the other hand winrt lacks codec support, and that's why the 10 models are more important.

Back to my comment, the app description says "VLC for Windows 8 is an experimental port of VLC media player for the WinRT platform."
    But it doesn't run on winrt, weird description.
    Yes, but before today they didn't have a WinRT version. It does run on WinRT, but not Windows RT. There is a difference between the two.
    03-12-2014 06:42 PM
    It does run on WinRT, but not Windows RT. There is a difference between the two.
    thats what im looking for, didn't know that, thanx

do they mean winRT as the modern UI
    03-13-2014 02:30 AM
    thats what im looking for, didn't know that, thanx

do they mean winRT as the modern UI
    WinRT is the design language for the Modern UI, yes.
    03-13-2014 09:17 AM
    Yes, but before today they didn't have a WinRT version. It does run on WinRT, but not Windows RT. There is a difference between the two.
    That's misleading. Microsoft refers to it as the Modern Design Language (the artist formerly known as Metro). This design language is used on Modern app found in the Windows Store that run on Both Windows 8.1 and Windows RT. WinRT is an abbreviation of the name of the runtime at best. If they make a Modern application, it doesn't mean it will always run on both runtimes though. If they use x86/x64 libraries it will not run on ARM. That's the reason why it isn't coming yet.
    03-13-2014 12:49 PM
    WinRT is the app framework. Windows RT is the OS. They are two entirely different things. A WinRT app is not required to run on Windows RT, as is seen here.

That being said, they plan on eventually getting it out on Windows RT / ARM as well, but there's some toolchain issues they're working on.

It doesn't really matter though, the app is currently terrible and not ready for widespread use anyway. A large number of people can't even open it without the app immediately crashing, for example.
    03-13-2014 01:24 PM
    That's misleading. Microsoft refers to it as the Modern Design Language (the artist formerly known as Metro). This design language is used on Modern app found in the Windows Store that run on Both Windows 8.1 and Windows RT. WinRT is an abbreviation of the name of the runtime at best. If they make a Modern application, it doesn't mean it will always run on both runtimes though. If they use x86/x64 libraries it will not run on ARM. That's the reason why it isn't coming yet.
    My bad. All these things confuse me sometimes. I just known that WinRT is not Windows RT.
    03-13-2014 03:40 PM
    I still dont get why no RT version, people might say "oh with x86/64 version they get tha base to make the RT version" but honestly... they could have done that and take some months more to release and do it properly with a RT version. they already took months of months releasing this limited and crappy VLC port...
    they could have taken the time to release a RT version that would be also limited and crappy port, but more usable, since RT users are the ones who "need" it most (since it would handle formats, video app doesnt and it would be free for cheap people)

of course I dont even use VLC in my desktop, I have never really liked it... not the UI, not the way it works. I use what I think its the best in my desktops (so much better than VLC), but I know it wont run in ARM, and dont expect a port or something, so I had hopes VLC would have had a decent Win8/RT release, but we know it doesnt... it doesnt at all.

I wish Moliplayer was on Win8, its paid... but it would be so much better, other apps are paid as well and not bad handling MKV which sometimes can be troublesome and of course not supported by Windows video app (why we need a 3rd party app).
    or you know, sometimes I wish Microsoft would just put an advanced option "do you want to run and install desktop apps?" and give a warning about what can happen if you arent careful, and maybe then my videoplayer would be ported to ARM, as a desktop app, but I wouldnt need VLC or other win8 app to play my formats anymore...
    of course the UI is not touch optimized thingy like a win8 app and it wouldnt have live tiles, BUT it supports touch gestures so while its desktop app it can still make easy to use it with gestures.

but oh well, maybe in some months VLC will get decent... and it will be useful and a real nice alternative for desktop video players.

so what happened to VLC? I guess it was just an overrated app coming to Windows 8 in the end :) thats what happened to VLC.
    03-13-2014 04:04 PM
    I still dont get why no RT version, people might say "oh with x86/64 version they get tha base to make the RT version" but honestly... they could have done that and take some months more to release and do it properly with a RT version. they already took months of months releasing this limited and crappy VLC port...
    they could have taken the time to release a RT version that would be also limited and crappy port, but more usable, since RT users are the ones who "need" it most (since it would handle formats, video app doesnt and it would be free for cheap people)

of course I dont even use VLC in my desktop, I have never really liked it... not the UI, not the way it works. I use what I think its the best in my desktops (so much better than VLC), but I know it wont run in ARM, and dont expect a port or something, so I had hopes VLC would have had a decent Win8/RT release, but we know it doesnt... it doesnt at all.

I wish Moliplayer was on Win8, its paid... but it would be so much better, other apps are paid as well and not bad handling MKV which sometimes can be troublesome and of course not supported by Windows video app (why we need a 3rd party app).
    or you know, sometimes I wish Microsoft would just put an advanced option "do you want to run and install desktop apps?" and give a warning about what can happen if you arent careful, and maybe then my videoplayer would be ported to ARM, as a desktop app, but I wouldnt need VLC or other win8 app to play my formats anymore...
    of course the UI is not touch optimized thingy like a win8 app and it wouldnt have live tiles, BUT it supports touch gestures so while its desktop app it can still make easy to use it with gestures.

but oh well, maybe in some months VLC will get decent... and it will be useful and a real nice alternative for desktop video players.

so what happened to VLC? I guess it was just an overrated app coming to Windows 8 in the end :) thats what happened to VLC.
    They had compiler issues with ARM. They're not using VS. Also, it isn't overrated. VLC is one of the best video apps out there. You just don't like VLC, which paints your existing bias.
    03-13-2014 04:08 PM
    of course I dont even use VLC in my desktop
    as always, the opinions of people that don't use something aren't particularly relevant :)
    03-19-2014 07:21 PM