What happened to VLC?

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It's been over a year since they announced they were bringing the app over to the windows store, and each time they've "submitted" the app to the windows store, some huge app breaking bug supposedly pops up. What's the hold up? Are they just understaffed? Were they too ambitious with their app and tried putting too much into version 1? Or did they just pocket the initial $80k in kickstarter money, and are now making an half-assed effort to get the app to the market?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe any of these things will be launched before Windows 8.1 drops. VLC AND Flipboard for Windows Phone. I don't expect to hear anything official on either until after Build.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe any of these things will be launched before Windows 8.1 drops. VLC AND Flipboard for Windows Phone. I don't expect to hear anything official on either until after Build.

Actually, I was referring to the Windows 8/RT metro verison of VLC :p

I don't care about the WP version, since MoliPlayer is AWESOME. Actually, I'd gladly play for the app again if the team behind MoliPlayer made an app for Windows RT.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
First off, I think you're being kind of a jerk about this. They most certainly didn't pocket the money and they're working non-stop to get this thing working. In fact, they've already helped the Windows platform a lot with their work in open source software on the Windows Store apps that they've released to help other developers and have helped to increase the quality of the store by doing so.

Its a mixture of the fact that they've got a big audio bug that keeps them from being accepted to the store, their Windows section is understaffed (they've got 4 guys working on the desktop and metro version while the other sections just deal with one way to code) and they have over 8 million lines of code to deal with. Making this app for Metro is a huge undertaking so I say give them a little more time.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There were all sorts of news reports that VLC would be available today - but im not seeing it in the store as of yet - Cmon MS, approve it already. A lot of people have been waiting for it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Posted to the Videolan twitter feed:

hLSTDnH.png

Edit: They say this initial version is x86/x64-only though, but that's kind of what I expected.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT is an OS for ARM devices. Right now, there are less than 10 models out.

I don't know how you comment is related, anyway while your argument is valid, but I can tell you that PCs already have vlc, on the other hand winrt lacks codec support, and that's why the 10 models are more important.

Back to my comment, the app description says "VLC for Windows 8 is an experimental port of VLC media player for the WinRT platform."
But it doesn't run on winrt, weird description.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how you comment is related, anyway while your argument is valid, but I can tell you that PCs already have vlc, on the other hand winrt lacks codec support, and that's why the 10 models are more important.

Back to my comment, the app description says "VLC for Windows 8 is an experimental port of VLC media player for the WinRT platform."
But it doesn't run on winrt, weird description.

Yes, but before today they didn't have a WinRT version. It does run on WinRT, but not Windows RT. There is a difference between the two.

Armada

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but before today they didn't have a WinRT version. It does run on WinRT, but not Windows RT. There is a difference between the two.
That's misleading. Microsoft refers to it as the Modern Design Language (the artist formerly known as Metro). This design language is used on Modern app found in the Windows Store that run on Both Windows 8.1 and Windows RT. WinRT is an abbreviation of the name of the runtime at best. If they make a Modern application, it doesn't mean it will always run on both runtimes though. If they use x86/x64 libraries it will not run on ARM. That's the reason why it isn't coming yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills