Differences in processors

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So I've been window shopping for a new device. I've seen 2in1's with Intel and AMD chips. Bay, clover, ivy, what do they mean? Core? Help!!!!! I used to know everything about PCs, but now I feel like a noob. How does AMD compare to Intel with the new Gen software? Take me to school, please

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
To put everything in simple language: AMD is cheaper, Intel has better performance.

Bay Trail and Clover Trails are code names for chips by Intel aimed at mobile(tablet) market, with Bay Trail more advanced than Clover. They are slower in potential comparing to a Desktop chip but are good with battery life. Ivy Bridge is code name for Desktop/Laptop chips, succeeded by last year's Haswell, which is by leaps and bounds better.

Core (other than the general meaning, which can be thought of as number of brains) is a more specific naming system for Intel. Focus on the Core i3, i5 and i7 series. i3 are mostly found on cheap consumer devices. i5 is a level higher, very capable and powerful with reasonable price; If you are looking for a top notch device beyond average, then there's the i7. Also pay attention to the four digits shown after i3/i5/i7. The 1st of these four digits shows the generation of the chips, with 4 being the newest (ex. i7 4770 is newer than i7 3690).

If you are looking for a tablet device, definitely look for one with Bay Trail.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I see you have some experience in CPUs so I will take this chance to ask u a question
I have an old PC with AMD turion dual core @2200MHz
Does this mean the CPUs speed is 2200MHz or is it 2200x2 MHz.

I know this maybe a dumb question, but I got really,confused since everyone I know gives me a different answer.
Thanks

Marco Miranda1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Dual core doesn't mean it run at double of speed, its mean that have two cores that can work together completing different task as an example or working in the same faster but not as the two fusion in one speed
As an analogy, two people doesn't mean that they work as double as fast but they can work faster that if it is only one

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So my 5 year old Emachine with an AMD Athlon 1.6mhz is just as quick as most of the new Bay Trail Intel devices?

Clock speed used to be easy. Pentium, Celeron, etc. It's gotten confusing.

Marco Miranda1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly, clock speed is not all in CPU. They also had cache, bus speed, TDP (Thermal Design Power or heat in simplify words), etc. and other external CPU factors that also affect for example as the RAM frequency, system buses...

So for making simply
CPU Names:
Atom < Celeron < Pentium < Core i3 < Core i5 < Core i7
Brand Codenames:
Clover Trail < Bay Trail (Both for Tablets and Smarthphones) (Atom)
Sandy Bridge < Ivy Bridge < Haswell (PCs) (Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7)

Marco Miranda1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Also pay attention to the four digits shown after i3/i5/i7. The 1st of these four digits shows the generation of the chips, with 4 being the newest (ex. i7 4770 is newer than i7 3690)..
Talking a little more about it
Some CPU has a letter for example i7 4770k

• K = Unlocked for overclocking (You can increase the clock speed, but it can generate more heat and burn the CPU if not used with caution)
  • U = Ultra Low Voltage, consumes less energy and generates less heat ,as an example the Surface Pro and Pro 2 use this kind of Core
  • M = Mobil, ideal for Laptops in order to generate less heat and consume less
  • QM = Quad-Core Mobile, 4 Core design for Laptop
Those are the more common that you can find out there, also I don't remember more in this moment

Last edited:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
To put everything in simple language: AMD is cheaper, Intel has better performance.

Bay Trail and Clover Trails are code names for chips by Intel aimed at mobile(tablet) market, with Bay Trail more advanced than Clover. They are slower in potential comparing to a Desktop chip but are good with battery life. Ivy Bridge is code name for Desktop/Laptop chips, succeeded by last year's Haswell, which is by leaps and bounds better.

Core (other than the general meaning, which can be thought of as number of brains) is a more specific naming system for Intel. Focus on the Core i3, i5 and i7 series. i3 are mostly found on cheap consumer devices. i5 is a level higher, very capable and powerful with reasonable price; If you are looking for a top notch device beyond average, then there's the i7. Also pay attention to the four digits shown after i3/i5/i7. The 1st of these four digits shows the generation of the chips, with 4 being the newest (ex. i7 4770 is newer than i7 3690).

If you are looking for a tablet device, definitely look for one with Bay Trail.

so Bay Trail is better then Clover (nevermind that C comes after B), but what about an Atom?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hot Damn!! I just sent WPC a request for a how-to on all this for us general folk. Why, when and where did it get so hard to understand? This started for me when I was trying to decide if this:
ASUS Transformer Book T100TA B1 GR Convertible Laptop Computer With 101 Touch Screen Display MS Office Home Student 2013 32GB by Office Depot
was a good buy. But there's so more much more to know. Take me/us to school please.
I've been doing some research on what to buy to replace my Surface RT. (WinRT is continuing to irritate me with the chronically poor software offerings and taunting me with superior hardware capabilities)

The unit that keeps coming back to mind, and I ended up mentioning just today in 2 other threads on this site was the Asus T100. I've seen some reviews on YouTube from people I trust, like MobileTechReview and they like it a lot.

And now YOU mention it.... It's a sign! LOL

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing some research on what to buy to replace my Surface RT. (WinRT is continuing to irritate me with the chronically poor software offerings and taunting me with superior hardware capabilities)

The unit that keeps coming back to mind, and I ended up mentioning just today in 2 other threads on this site was the Asus T100. I've seen some reviews on YouTube from people I trust, like MobileTechReview and they like it a lot.

And now YOU mention it.... It's a sign! LOL

I don't think I'd ever get a WinRT device, just saying. That T100 is snazzy looking. The price is great too!! I'm gonna stop in today and play with it a bit more. I'll let you know what my opinion is and if I buy one

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Look at benchmarks for cpu and or video cards. It is a lot easier to understand. Just find the processors you are comparing. Which ever one has the better score is better. I use cpubenchmark.net. It has been helpful at comparing different types and brands of processors. It also shows values for most of the processors as well. Hope this is helpful.

Keep in mind cpubenchmark.net does not compare arm and x86 processors.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I looked at the Asus, and almost had the guy make a deal with an SD card, but then he showed me the Lenovo Flex 10. 10.1". It has a Celeron N2806 @1.6ghz on x64. What you guys think?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The baytrail atom 3740 is surprisingly better than that Celeron n2806. But only ever so slightly so it wouldn't be noticeable. Both appear to have similarly specs.

Marco Miranda1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
In my personals opinion I like more the T100
I read in some pages and find that T100 has more battery life and as the other guy say its CPU is slightly better, also that the T100 has Office Home & Student (Not sure about the Lenovo)
In my personal opinion I believe that the T100 is more usable as a Tablet that the Lenovo because if you want you can put off the keyboard
In the other hand I read about that the Lenovo has more space in hard drive, some pages says that has 320GB vs. 32GB + microSD card in the T100, but is better to ask in the store in order to be sure

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought one last night for $310. It has 285gb total, including partition. 2gb RAM. 10 point touch full size HDMI, USB 2.0 & 3.0. Also a separate charging port. I had my 8X and external both in installing stuff and it was cool. A few hiccups with the touch, had to close it once or twice. Battery could be a lot better, but its got free ports, so if you have to plug in, no worries. Also runs x64 W8.1 and Miracast support. And I've got to say, in theater mode, which is how I've used it 99% of the time, its extremely comfortable on the lap. Don't HAVE to hold it like you would a regular tablet. Oh, it includes Office too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99