Logos 5 Bible Software on 8 inch x86 Tablet

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Greetings.

My Surface RT recently had a mishap and has a cracked screen. I am not sure if I am going to fix the screen or not. I may get an 8 inch x86 tablet but the primary reason I would get one of those tablets is to run Logos 5 Bible Software.

Has anyone used that software with a current Atom processor. It can bring my AMD Phenom II Quad Core to its knees at times. I don't want to get a tablet that will not work very well with the one piece of software I want it to run.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Greetings.

My Surface RT recently had a mishap and has a cracked screen. I am not sure if I am going to fix the screen or not. I may get an 8 inch x86 tablet but the primary reason I would get one of those tablets is to run Logos 5 Bible Software.

Has anyone used that software with a current Atom processor. It can bring my AMD Phenom II Quad Core to its knees at times. I don't want to get a tablet that will not work very well with the one piece of software I want it to run.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Logos 5 is so processor intensive. I only run it on my desktop. I'd be interested in what you find here.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What type of setup is your desktop? It runs on my laptop but it is quite laggy.

Desktop is nothing special really. Dell XPS 8300. It's a couple years old. I'm not currently in full time ministry so I don't really have need to have it on the go, hence the Surface 2. I use Laridian on my WP8 and Olive Tree on my Surface 2.

I know that my pastor actually prefers Olive Tree, which does have a decent RT app as well. My dad uses BibleWorks, and that's even more clunky than Logos. He's got bootcamp on his MacBook Pro just so he can load up Windows 7 to run it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I run Logos 5 on a Lenovo IdeaPad S400 (think of it as a budget ultrabook-wannabe). Runs fine on it with a Core i3 processor. I haven't found it to be processor-intensive in normal use. When it needs to re-index, there is an increase in resource usage, but that quickly ends.

I tried the WinRT version but it was woefully lacking in basic capabilities... like search.

This is going to sound strange, but I find eSword to still be the best for sermon prep and small group studies. So much so that on my OSX devices I have set up winebottler to run eSword as standalone executable (bundled with WINE emulator). No need for Windows w/BootCamp, Parallels, VMs, etc.

Because of the resources that I've accumulated, I stick with the 8.x version of eSword. It runs like greased lightning on any device that can run Windows.

I'm actually considering getting an Asus T100 Transformer (runs full Windows 8.1) specifically so that I can run eSword.

My concern with an 8" screen is that... the 8" screen. I remember running eSword on a 7" EeePC netbook. Ouch.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I also found my answer on the Logos forums. I guess I should have tried there first. Here is the link: Will the new Dell Venue 8.1 Windows Tablets run Logos? - Logos Bible Software Forums

I am thinking I will try and repair the screen on my Surface RT. I would love a Surface Pro 2 but that is just so much money and we are already half way to the time where a Surface Pro 3 will be announced.

One other thing. I would encourage everyone to go make your voice heard on the Logos forums about the Windows Store app and a WP8 app. They really are dragging their feet on a better store app because of low RT market share. No matter how many times I remind them that people may want a reader on x86 tablets or even a faster reader type app on their Windows 8.1 desktop they seem to ignore me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos