mrsatellite

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well my dell inspiron has out lived its life ,no longer support for XP
need your opinions for my options
Did research and cant decide
Want a 10" HD touchscreen or bigger
Windows 8 so that I can run very windows related software
Camera (with flash but not a deal breaker)
Full usb
HDMI out or miccro hdmi
Good size memory ,storage options and fast proccesor
Good accessories
Price isnt really a factor as long as it is the newest and greatest
Thanks for all your opinions

Last edited:

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I like the Surface Pro 2. I don't think they have HDMI out, but there are work-arounds. They're portable, powerful, new, and great!
You've got stylus support, the keyboard comes off, and the screen is 10+.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I, too, am researching the difference between 2-in-1 or a surface. The surface Pro 2 is really expensive to consider a laptop/tablet; however, I'm sure there are a lot of good things on the surface. When considering a laptop/tablet, why go expensive? A few of the 2-in-1's start at $400 and have a lot more hard drive space and memory then a Surface Pro 2.

What am I getting from a surface pro 2 that a laptop (2-in-1) doesn't?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am researching the difference between 2-in-1 or a surface. The surface Pro 2 is really expensive to consider a laptop/tablet; however, I'm sure there are a lot of good things on the surface. When considering a laptop/tablet, why go expensive? A few of the 2-in-1's start at $400 and have a lot more hard drive space and memory then a Surface Pro 2.

What am I getting from a surface pro 2 that a laptop (2-in-1) doesn't?

You're getting the tablet form factor that a convertible laptop can't truly offer. But I wouldn't call it "expensive" considering the specs and what you're getting. It's an Ultrabook and is right in line with those prices. It isn't a competitor to say the Asus Transformer Book T100 as that is a lower end 2 in 1

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well my dell inspiron has out lived its life ,no longer support for XP
need your opinions for my options
Did research and cant decide
Want a 10" HD touchscreen or bigger
Windows 8 so that I can run very windows related software
Camera (with flash but not a deal breaker)
Full usb
HDMI out or miccro hdmi
Good size memory ,storage options and fast proccesor
Good accessories
Price isnt really a factor as long as it is the newest and greatest
Thanks for all your opinions

OP, it really depends on what form factor you prefer and the size. If you want the true power of an Ultrabook in a tablet form, then the Surface Pro 2 is an easy choice. If you want the same type of deal but more of a netbook/lower end machine then the Asus Transformer Book is another easy choice. For more traditional sized computers, the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Dell XPS 12 are great choices. I haven't heard the best things about the Dell XPS 11 so that's why I'm not putting that in your list.

mrsatellite

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
OP, it really depends on what form factor you prefer and the size. If you want the true power of an Ultrabook in a tablet form, then the Surface Pro 2 is an easy choice. If you want the same type of deal but more of a netbook/lower end machine then the Asus Transformer Book is another easy choice. For more traditional sized computers, the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Dell XPS 12 are great choices. I haven't heard the best things about the Dell XPS 11 so that's why I'm not putting that in your list.

Thanks.I was thinking of a tablet but when you see what these ultra books can do for just a little bit more$$$, Now just need to decide which one to choose in a higher end convertable

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.I was thinking of a tablet but when you see what these ultra books can do for just a little bit more$$$, Now just need to decide which one to choose in a higher end convertable

Some other options I left out would be the Sony Vaio Duo (AMAZING battery life for what it is), Sony Vaio Flip, and the Dell Venue 11. What's nice about the Dell is that it starts out as low end and works its way up to a more high end device. It depends on what you would be doing with it as well. If you are doing just basic things such as browsing, Office, and media then a low end device should be fine but if you are looking for a more powerful device then an Ultrabook would be your best bet.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well it sounds like surface 2 for a tablet
Now what's everybody's opinion on the best 2in1 /ultrabook
Thanks for your input

The best 2 in 1 Ultrabook is a tough one. I guess it would be the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. If you're not limited to a 2 in 1 then that might make an easier choice for the best Ultrabook.

Carlos M Duarte

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 2 and, quite frankly, it was the best purchase I ever made. I use it as my main work computer (connected to external monitor, KB and mouse), as a tablet (just detach the keyboard) or as a small form laptop (with type cover).

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The best 2 in 1 Ultrabook is a tough one. I guess it would be the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. If you're not limited to a 2 in 1 then that might make an easier choice for the best Ultrabook.

If ~$1000 is in your price range for a really good Ultrabook/convertible, I would highly agree with this. I own one, and it's an awesome device.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Surface Pro (Not a 2) a few weeks ago, very similar specs to the 2 but I saved the best part of ?400 compared to the 2 (?300 pound cheaper for the 128g and free keyboard chucked in). I have seen people outside the UK getting similar offers.

But if money isn't an issue I would got for the Surface Pro 2 for the extra battery life.

These are stunning bits of kit, both run full blown Windows unlike the Surface RT and Surface 2 that run RT (Nothing wrong with RT, my wife kept on looking at my Surface pro so I went and bought her a Surface 2 and it's really nice, lighter than the Pro and longer battery life, but you can't run full blown Windows programs, just the apps in the store). And we can share the keyboard when needed.

I am sure the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 both have HDMI Micro slots.

I would recommend you head to a shop and try one, you will be impressed.

For the record I also have an Asus laptop running 8.1 and I have found I am using the Surface more and more.

My old Dell laptop running XP (Well it did) was put away for a while, I then decided to put Ubuntu and then Mint on it, but to be honest, I thought to myself, what's the point of re-inventing the wheel and wasting my time so it's now awaiting permanent storage in the bin :smile:

Also for the record I have a Nokia 1520, A desktop/file server plugged into my TV also running 8.1, we have three other 8.1 machines in the house and two other Windows phones, the integration between them is really good.

The only downside is if you buy a device running Windows 8 instead of 8.1 as it can be a pain to do the upgrade.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3