Tablets With 32GB Of Memory?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What's everyone's opinions on these? The dell venue pro is on sale for $229 at staples I was thinking about picking it up one... only goin to use it to mainly browse the web and a couple apps. It has removable storage so what are the cons of getting a tablet with only 32gb? Can you install apps to the removable storage?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

gknight5408

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Idk about the Dell tablet, but I have a 32Gb surface rt and it has plenty of space for me. I do internet searches and I listen to music and you know, the usual. It gets the job done. But, just in case I have a 32Gb micro SD card in place so in case I need extra space. If your a photo hoarder or someone that has a ton of apps on their tablet, I'd suggest getting a 64gb. But for casual internet use and a few apps, you should be fine :)

anon(8412718)

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
The main difference is the Dell Venue is running full Windows 8.1 not the slim trim RT version - that in itself takes a bit of space.

I had the Toshiba Encore (same thing as the Dell basically though) with 32gig and it had just on 12gig free without having installed anything to it, no apps or MS software. Sure you can use a MicroSD for storage but to run the desktop applications you may want (as was the attraction of full Windows on an 8" device...for me anyway) you might be better just looking at the 64gig.

Part of your 32gig is also taken up with a recovery partition as well so you will need to factor that in.

Personally I found 32gig a little too small for full Windows (YMMV however) so I sold it and replaced it with a 128gig Surface Pro.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Venue 8 Pro is a 32 GB model and although I forgot my original capacity, I must say the following. Either spring for the 64GB model or get the 32 and invest in a sizeable SD card. 32 works for basic modern-only use, but once heavy file usage and power-user x86 fanciness (e.g. games) get onboard, things can get cramped real fast.

Nearly anything can go on the card, but Modern apps cannot be moved there. Classic apps can though. (so Asphalt 8 must be onboard, Starcraft II can go on the SD)

But for basic usage it will fit.

anon(8412718)

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
When I set up the Encore (and installed my Office 365 applications, Kapersky, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and MS Solitaire app) I had 9gig free. So really not much at all. No media, images or anything like that. Toshiba has OTG so just used my 1TB portable drive.
For long term use I could see how I was going to end up needing more space than 9gig to install applications. (I also like to hack Android devices and need to install the Android SDK and other apps which would soon chew space)

As a consumption device not so much of an issue however people complain about only 16g storage on a phone.....draw your own conclusions there lol

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is used for mainly browsing or maybe a little reading with some apps here and there, I think it will be perfect.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you can free up quite a bit of space by creating a USB recovery drive and deleting the recovery data off the tablet. But definitely don't lose that USB recovery drive if you ever need to wipe your Venue to start over.

you cannot easily install metro apps to the memory card. you can do it by moving symbolic links but it's fussy and way over the head of most people. it's why you should get whatever size you can afford. a 32 GB machine will only realistically last a couple years if you regularly get new software. You can ameliorate lack of storage by using cloud storage. But memory cards aren't ideal. e.g., you buy a 32 GB memory card now. then you replace it with a 64 GB down the road which means you're paying for 64 GB but only gaining 32 GB additional space since you have to dump the previous 32 GB card. I have a decent amount of apps and Office 2013. Everything that I could move to the 64 GB memory card was moved. I'm hovering around 3 GB left of free storage. Which means there's not much room for growth in terms of apps.

I have the 32 GB Surface RT and I love it for what it is. I also put in a 64 GB memory card on it which helps a lot (my Music folder was moved there which stores my Xbox Music files as well as my video and documents). I'm not going to regurgitate my thoughts on the Surface RT, but if you're interested, my thoughts are here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/279945-too-flakey-relied.html#post2501351
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/279945-too-flakey-relied.html#post2501921
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/279945-too-flakey-relied.html#post2503445
I got mine for dirt cheap during Black Friday for $179 for 32 GB Surface RT with Touch Cover keyboard. I since upgraded it to the Type Cover 2 which is fantastic. The Surface RT has been the best sub $200 computing device I have ever owned.

8" is too small for my needs (my Surface RT is mostly for work). But for reading and web browsing, it's fine. 10.6" is already pushing smallness for me. I love the Surface RT for reading as well.

x4nbc7.jpg
am45y9.jpg

Great for PDFs (just flick from screen to screen) as well as comic book stuff.

I think you'll like the Dell Venue. I played with it at the store and it was nice. If I was looking for an 8", I'd definitely consider it. Good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3