Nexus 7 Vs. Windows Tablets

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using a Nexus 7 (32 gb) as my main tablet. I don't do much work on it, mostly a media consumption, gaming, cookbook, and comics reading device. It's nice and small so it's portable and easy to use but is also annoying to use when I want to set it down and use it while it's on a stand (essentially, it's fine when I'm holding it up close, but too small when I want to look at it from farther away). I like the fact that it has a lot of useful apps and that Android fits the small tablet form factor very well, but I don't like that it requires so much maintenance and workarounds to do basic tasks (I guess more a problem of Android than of the tablet itself). I install an app and later delete it because I don't like it but it leaves behind a bunch of files that slow down the device. I want to watch Amazon Instant Video, but it only works if I download a web browser and a "performance booster" for the web browser (Dolphin and Dolphin Jetpack if you're wondering) for me to use Flash to view it. There are other stupid problems like this, but to save space and get to the point, I'll move on. What I'm wondering is will the Lumia 2520 (or if you have another good Windows tablet to recommend instead, those are fine too) be a good replacement for this? Will It be able to store my music and videos, stream Youtube and Amazon I.V. and other video services, view comics, store recipes, edit pictures, store pictures, play games, read books, and overall offer a more complete tablet experience than a Nexus 7? What are the advantages/disadvantages to switching or sticking with my Nexus 7? If there's anything else you want to ask to give me a better answer, ask away. Thanks for any advice you can give!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Most of what you are looking for are app or service related, so maybe start here:

Apps for Windows - Microsoft Windows

That has app selections for both Windows RT and regular Windows 8. By the way, I do not own a tablet, but I love that Nokia 2520. Think it is an outstanding feeling device. But most of those on this forum prefer the Surface Tablets from Microsoft, and since they do own the tablet, I would suggest checking those out if you are interested.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my mother an Acer W4, a 8" Windows 8 tablet. It's an Atom processor, so it's a full Windows 8. I was surprised how snappy it was for such a small device and still a full Windows 8. Acer is Acer when it comes to build quality though, but I gotta say it was pretty sweet in it's own right, although I still prefer my 10,6" tablet for most of my personal needs, I found the 8" a bit small for most things even on a tablet.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Worth noting Windows tablets are more like small, complete computers.
The Nexus is more like a blown-up phone.

Now the 2520 which you are looking at is in between. The default web browser IE is quite capable for your needs, including flash player and do almost anything you would want a desktop browser to do.

However, RT (Windows, except built for the chip architecture used in phones as opposed to the x86 in actual laptops and desktops.) is limited in that it cannot run x86 Windows programs, considered a step down. However, Android tablets cannot either.
The Windows Store is less expansive, but the staples are there. Best way to feel for it is to check it out yourself by looking into a friends 8 tablet/computer and poking around.

It will be a fine experience, a bit of a learning curve, but its relatively small and worth it.
If an app cannot do it, the web browser is capable.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
If comic book reading is an important element in your use of a tablet, I can't recommend a Windows tablet (RT or full Windows). There is very little quality software available for reading CBR/CBZ (or even PDF) books. I downloaded over a dozen cbz/cbr reading apps before finding one that could handle my collection of cbz/cbr files (particularly challenging is handling vintage Sears catalogs). If you decide to go with Windows, go directly to the app titled, "Cover". It is relatively speaking the best (though falls behind what is available for Android and iOS) there currently is on the RT platform for reading comics.

I have a nook HD (spec and quality-wise in between the Nexus 7 2012 and Nexus 2013 tabs). I find the 16:9 aspect ratio to be inferior for comics, magazines, and other scanned media. I much prefer the 4:3 AR and size of the iPad.

If you could, find family and friends who own the devices you are considering and try them out. The experience is highly subjective. What I think is cumbersome might be exactly perfect for you.

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Well I've checked out the tablets in person. As for apps, it seems like Windows Phone and RT seem to cover most of the apps that I want, and like xandros 9 said, the Web browser is pretty fine so far. The lack of x86 programs is just fine since they aren't very good for touch from what I've tried out. I really like the versatility of the tablets and that they do a lot of things pretty well. As for which tablet, I don't think I would like to have a Windows 8 tablet. It takes up far too much memory to store it and they seem to be far more expensive than RT tablets (which are good enough and the rumored merging of WP and RT will make it even better if done right). The Lumia 2520 is much more manageable and is more comfortable but I don't like the charging method, the carrier stuff (4G isn't important for me), and the button layout. The Surface 2 has the USB port, better keyboard, stand, and that very helpful student discount, but is pretty uncomfortable and the Tegra 4 doesn't seem to be as good as the Snapdragon 800. I'd like to wait and see what a potential Surface 3 would have, so I may wait a bit until making a decision. By then my Nexus 7 will be outdated and need a replacement anyways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster