Lumia 2520 Vs. Surface 2

Nabru2

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for a new Windows tablet and I've narrowed it down to Lumia 2520 and the Surface 2. I'll be using it as a glorified reader with general internet usage, media player, MS Office stuff and brainstorming. Big part of it's usage will be outdoors.

Here's my comparison.
1. I like the Lumia's profile. It makes it easier to hold in hands, but it has no kickstand, while the Surface 2 has a 2 point kickstand. Of the two features I choose the kickstand as it will suit my use more.
2. Both screens are 1080 with similar quality and both claim excellent outdoor visibility, which is very important. Can somebody make a comparison on this? Is one better outdoor screen than the other?
3. Battery life seems a bit longer on the Lumia, especially with the Power keyboard which is a great feature. But then again, battery life on the Surface 2 is also great.
4. Power keyboard Vs. Type cover. I like the Power keyboard for providing additional battery life, 2 full sized USB ports, a kickstand and an over-all cover. However I don't like the flimsy track pad, the keys aren't backlit, the kickstand is not adjustable, it adds some weight and you can't use it like a normal tablet with the keyboard folded behind it (am I wrong here?). The keyboard on the Surface 2 is backlit, track pad seems much better, it's not as long and does not interfere with the kickstand. But it also doesn't add to the battery life and doesn't act as a cover.
5. Nokia comes with a few cool Nokia apps, however you can now download them for free on the Surface 2. The Lumia seems to have an issue with the power supply and many people reporting sleep time freezing (with an unofficial fix). I am not aware of any such problems with the Surface.

So, overall I'm currently more for the Surface 2. The battery life is good enough, the keyboard is great, it has a kickstand, good outdoor visibility, I can install Here maps for free and it doesn't seem to have any major problems. On the other hand I'd miss a full cover and the profile could be better.

What do you think, am I missing anything here? Which one of these tablets do you think I should go for?

Thank you!

Nabru2

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Both seems nice, i would buy the 2520 though if i could. It's not even available in my country :/

Which features make you prefer the Lumia?

Also, I've just learned there's Power cover now available for the Surface 2. The additional battery life outweighs it not having backlit keys, being quiet thick and adding some weight. Another + for the Surface.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The surface claims to last almost 10 hours; in fact, it will only reach 10 hours with video. Most other things reach about 8.

Oh but don't get me wrong, I love my surface 2, love it to death! Well not actually to death. I love the surface 2 the appropriate amount.. As.. Allowed by law!

-- Bam --

Last edited:

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Surface 2 LTE and am pretty happy with it. I upgraded from the non-LTE Surface 2. Works great with T-Mobile. Have not had the same issues with updates as Willys above - but I have had some issues along the way. The Microsoft Store has been a great help - but I can see if you don't live near one how it might be an issue.

Nabru2

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a Surface 2 LTE and am pretty happy with it. I upgraded from the non-LTE Surface 2. Works great with T-Mobile. Have not had the same issues with updates as Willys above - but I have had some issues along the way. The Microsoft Store has been a great help - but I can see if you don't live near one how it might be an issue.

Thanks. How good would you say the outdoor visibility is, can you read stuff outside on a sunny day?

wpdev

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the red 2520 for Verizon and I just got the Surface 2 with LTE. These are both excellent tablets, IMO.

I really like the 2520 with the moko case. I'm pretty happy just using the on screen keyboard with it as it's mostly for consumption.

I bought the Surface more for business and expect to use a keyboard with it, which is why the USB port is such a nice feature.

I would say the screen on the 2520 is definitely brighter than the surface. I will try to take it outside and compare when it's daytime.

As someone else said, if you don't need the cellular connection you might as well go with the surface 2 wifi version.

These tablets are very similar but from a purely aesthetic view, I would vote for the 2520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05