so is the surface mini officially vaporware?

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
i swear even the thumbnail for the live video looked a small tablet being held by panos panay. seems like a pretty funny bit of misdirection.
people were wondering how they managed to keep the mini under wraps for so long, but it not existing would probably make concealing it a tad easier :)
psyched on the pro3 though

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Surface mini was more of a ****** fantasy than anything that would become a reality. Microsoft has always targeted the Surface line as being top-shelf not bargain basement. To do that with a Surface mini (RT or x86 Windows) would require a price that would draw nothing but severe criticism.

I'm glad that only a Surface Pro 3 was announced... that was a big enough announcement as it is. It should make owners of Surface RT/2 feel like their investment in the platform has more longevity.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if it even fits with their way of doing things. I mean, they released a new Pro 3, but theirs no successor to the Surface 2. And they keep reiterating that the device is to replace both your laptop and tablet, which RT devices don't exactly fit in with. Hopefully RT isn't dead just yet, but this has me wondering.

Honestly, a smaller, more affordable surface with pen input as the Pro3 has would be awesome, and I feel it'd give RT a needed boost. Though, apps are a slight issue when it comes to things like writing and artistry.

I do remember the Adobe chief telling us "stay tuned" though, so maybe a RT version of their Creative Cloud suite is in the works, and the Mini announcement is delayed as to coincide with the CC RT announcement?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If there is a surface mini, it should be announced at a later date, that way they get more press out of it. Each device would be covered better that way. If all events were today, some info would fall through the cracks.

Also, it's interesting that there was no regular surface 3 announced. I wonder if the non-pro's are going towards the smaller sizes. That would make more sense than simply having a pro and non-pro.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I do remember the Adobe chief telling us "stay tuned" though, so maybe a RT version of their Creative Cloud suite is in the works, and the Mini announcement is delayed as to coincide with the CC RT announcement?
Not only that, but how about Windows Store style apps for CC. That would be lovely.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm wondering if it even fits with their way of doing things. I mean, they released a new Pro 3, but theirs no successor to the Surface 2. And they keep reiterating that the device is to replace both your laptop and tablet, which RT devices don't exactly fit in with. Hopefully RT isn't dead just yet, but this has me wondering.

Honestly, a smaller, more affordable surface with pen input as the Pro3 has would be awesome, and I feel it'd give RT a needed boost. Though, apps are a slight issue when it comes to things like writing and artistry.

Supposedly, the NVidia Tegra 4 has the capability for active inking, but that it hasn't been enabled in the Surface 2. If the screen technology of the S2 supports that, then it is possible for a software update to activate it. That would be sweet.

At this point in time, I'm just thankful that Microsoft didn't do anything today to make the Surface RT/2 feel orphaned. The Pro line is a different animal the the RT/2, IMO anyways.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
whats interesting is that there was no mention office for metro. I feel that if theres no new application to launch and differentiate it from the last version, then its not going to have that extra pop. if they would have had a new RT version of office, they probably would have showcased that you can do more with RT now. but, MS seems happy promoting office for different platforms at this point. I predict you'll see an android office version before we see a metro version of office.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
whats interesting is that there was no mention office for metro. I feel that if theres no new application to launch and differentiate it from the last version, then its not going to have that extra pop. if they would have had a new RT version of office, they probably would have showcased that you can do more with RT now. but, MS seems happy promoting office for different platforms at this point. I predict you'll see an android office version before we see a metro version of office.
Not surprising to hear anything about office or Metro... this was all about the Surface Pro.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Not only that, but how about Windows Store style apps for CC. That would be lovely.

That's what I meant. Windows Store apps are built upon the Windows Runtime Framework (WinRT, not to be confused with Windows RT), so when i said RT CC apps, I meant Windows Store Apps compatible with both NT-Capable and RT-Only versions of the Windows Operating System.

Not surprising to hear anything about office or Metro... this was all about the Surface Pro.

Actually it is. Office is one of their major productivity suites, and the Pro 3 is all about productivity. Even those using the Pro are bound to desire a more touch friendly version of the application suite. And Metro [UI] (Not to be confused with Metro Design) is the interface of Windows 8, so it's a given [one would think] that they would of spoken more in-depth about how the UI seamlessly integrates with the device's new features.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Actually it is. Office is one of their major productivity suites, and the Pro 3 is all about productivity. Even those using the Pro are bound to desire a more touch friendly version of the application suite. And Metro [UI] (Not to be confused with Metro Design) is the interface of Windows 8, so it's a given [one would think] that they would of spoken more in-depth about how the UI seamlessly integrates with the device's new features.
Technically, it's not Metro UI anymore, but Modern UI. But if you want to think that this presentation was about Office and Windows 8, feel free to do so, even it if wasn't. :shrug:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Technically, it's not Metro UI anymore, but Modern UI. But if you want to think that this presentation was about Office and Windows 8, feel free to do so, even it if wasn't. :shrug:

I know it's modern UI, but you used "metro" in your comment, so i was sticking with the terminology as to avoid confusion.

And, to clarify, i have absolutely 0 illusions on whether this was about Windows &/Or office. However, I was caught slightly surprised by the lack of focus on either, in relation to the Pro 3's performance, size, and function. Not to say that it came as a complete shock, though, as it is a Surface event, and as such they [Microsoft] are not required to speak of either Windows or Office, even in relation to the Surface Pro 3 device.

What was a shock was the lack of a Surface Mini device. Panos was talking about a device that is personal, for doing that which mattered to you, before announcing the Pro 3 [if my memory serves correct]. The surface Pro 3 only covers half of the consumer "spectrum". There are many out there who dont need a core processor or a 12" screen. For some, the Pro 3 is too big. For others, it's too expensive. There are those who want a smaller, portable device that is affordable, can do what they need, and take notes effectively. Many tablets do the basics, but few efficiently take notes, and many have an inadequate browser and less than stellar features when paired up against a PC. A surface in the 8" range with an ARM processor and Pen input like that of the Pro 3 would do well, I think.

However, it's main shortcoming is apps. What's one big thing stylus' are good for? Drawing. However, I've yet to see a single fully functioning art suite built on WinRT that matches the level of Desktop Apps. They miss things like canvas textures or layers or many other tools artist's use. That's why I speculated that a release may be postponed until the release of a such a software [suite] as Photoshop CC for Windows Store Devices. Having a software such as that would propel a Surface Mini much further than it could go on it's own.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
i swear even the thumbnail for the live video looked a small tablet being held by panos panay. seems like a pretty funny bit of misdirection.
people were wondering how they managed to keep the mini under wraps for so long, but it not existing would probably make concealing it a tad easier :)
psyched on the pro3 though

Surface Mini has always been an unsubstantiated rumor perpetuated by the likes of those who run this site. It isn't even really vaporware since it has not been defined by statement or implication by Microsoft. It is purely fantasy from the same crowd who claimed Windows Blue would unify the Windows platforms. How did that work out for people?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That's what I meant. Windows Store apps are built upon the Windows Runtime Framework (WinRT, not to be confused with Windows RT), so when i said RT CC apps, I meant Windows Store Apps compatible with both NT-Capable and RT-Only versions of the Windows Operating System.
I do realize that, but I was just being clear that i'd like to see 'fullscreen' apps, not RT windowed apps like office. Not that windowed apps are bad, but I would like to see both.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I do realize that, but I was just being clear that i'd like to see 'fullscreen' apps, not RT windowed apps like office. Not that windowed apps are bad, but I would like to see both.

The only possible type of WinRT based app would be one that runs in Modern UI. Apps like Office are restricted to Microsoft only, with the only exception being Hybrid Apps for Browsers, which are restricted to NT Framework operating systems only.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The only possible type of WinRT based app would be one that runs in Modern UI. Apps like Office are restricted to Microsoft only, with the only exception being Hybrid Apps for Browsers, which are restricted to NT Framework operating systems only.
That maybe so, but the way adobe is closely working with Microsoft, I wouldn't be surprised if MS made an exception to that rule.

jcar302

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Somewhere the lenovo guys are high fiving, the thinkpad 8 is going to get a second chance. I originally wanted it, but delays and problems kept me away.
Figured i'd ride it out and get the surface mini, which i now know, doesn't exist (for consumers).

Honestly, i like RT, the only thing i would do with a mini is browse the internet. So it would be perfect for me.
Hopefully lenovo has their act together, because a 1080 screen is important to me. I'm going to the local MS store this week to check it out.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Bloomberg's "digging" is them making up a fake story about how it was canceled last minute to cover their *** for their fake leaks that said it was being announced. That is all. Microsoft is waiting for Windows 9 and the merging of phone and tablet. If the 8 inch ARM tablet is going to make it, they need to wait until they have the best OS for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077