With no Surface mini being announced where does this leave RT?
    People aren't buying Surface Pro's to run RT apps and the Surface 2's aren't selling that well. Desktop users are not that interested in RT apps. Go to any retailer and you have a good choice of Android tablets and iPads (the mini's are outselling the full size) but Microsoft does not have anything in the small form factor.
    Developer's won't target RT is there is a minimal market share.
    05-20-2014 11:36 AM
    With no Surface mini being announced where does this leave RT?
    People aren't buying Surface Pro's to run RT apps and the Surface 2's aren't selling that well. Desktop users are not that interested in RT apps. Go to any retailer and you have a good choice of Android tablets and iPads (the mini's are outselling the full size) but Microsoft does not have anything in the small form factor.
    Developer's won't target RT is there is a minimal market share.
    No, Windows RT is not dead. At least not yet. And nothing in today's Microsoft presentation should lead anyone to think that RT is dead. This presentation was about the Surface Pro line.

As I mentioned in another thread, Microsoft is not going for the bargain-basement tablet market. Asus and Dell already have fine offerings there. The Surface line, in my opinion, are the best consumer tablet hardware available. Top-shelf, high quality. For Microsoft to produce a Surface mini, they would have to charge a price that is above the price for the iPad mini.

Microsoft presented some potentially compelling technology at their //build/ conference last month. If they are able fully deliver on their universal build strategy, then there will be a wave of ARM/WinRT apps available later this year.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-20-2014 11:48 AM
    Ehh, I'd say RT is in a sort of twilight zone.

The x86 Atom chips have potentially rendering it pointless, but its more of an appliance a la iPad than computer like a laptop. And that can be a double-edged sword.
    MS and Nok-- I mean MS have RT tablets out, but I feel they may go the way of the dodo since I believe RT used to be a good bet, but just turned out to be the wrong one. I dont know..

Worth noting RT apps in the store are useful on tablets and will have a spot as long as there are touchscreens most likely since Desktop programs aren't the best on a touchscreen.

Hmm, how common are apps that don't support ARM?
    05-20-2014 12:18 PM
    I think the surface mini announcement is still coming. I don't think the press conference is over. I would bet the surface mini has RT. If not, then MS has given up on RT.
    05-20-2014 12:24 PM
    I think the surface mini announcement is still coming. I don't think the press conference is over. I would bet the surface mini has RT. If not, then MS has given up on RT.
    The conference IS over. The Press and Analysts have left the auditorium and have received their loaner SP3.
    05-20-2014 12:31 PM