What kills Windows 8.1 on a tablet for me

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use 3 apps mainly on my iPad right now(Audible, Amazon Instant Video and Podcast).

Podcast apps - utter garbage, not a single app has the correct design(Apple's Podcast or DoggCatcher).
Audible - has it
Amazon Instant Video - will never happen because Bezos wants to sell Kindle Fires

So I guess I don't fit in the target market.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
huh? it's WINDOWS 8.1
think about it. it's WINDOWS. you can probably find plenty of podcast apps and of course you can use Internet Explorer to stream Amazon video and podcasts.
90% of the world uses Windows and you're complaining about the lack of apps?

I'm amazed at how confused and dumbfounded people are when handed a WINDOWS 8.1 tablet. it's like they don't know how to use a computer.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
huh? it's WINDOWS 8.1
think about it. it's WINDOWS. you can probably find plenty of podcast apps and of course you can use Internet Explorer to stream Amazon video and podcasts.
90% of the world uses Windows and you're complaining about the lack of apps?

I'm amazed at how confused and dumbfounded people are when handed a WINDOWS 8.1 tablet. it's like they don't know how to use a computer.
I'm amazed at how little thought is given in responding to comments. The OP is talking about Windows 8.1 on a TABLET. Legacy apps, ie. x86 Windows apps that run on the desktop are NOT optimized for touch. Using those apps with a touch device is awkward at best. Ideally when using a Windows tablet, one wants Modern UI apps that have been designed with touch in mind.

There continues to be a lack of quality apps in the Windows app store.

I know that many point to IE as the savior to fill the app gap, but that simply reveals how little people know about how others use a tablet. Not every missing app in Windows is of the "app-ified website" variety.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazing how little thought is given in responding to comments. The OP is talking about Windows 8.1 on a TABLET. Legacy apps, ie. x86 Windows apps that run on the desktop are NOT optimized for touch. Using those apps with a touch device is awkward at best. Ideally when using a Windows tablet, one wants Modern UI apps that have been designed with touch in mind.

There continues to be a lack of quality apps in the Windows app store.

I know that many point to IE as the savior to fill the app gap, but that simply reveals how little people know about how others use a tablet. Not every missing app in Windows is of the "app-ified website" variety.

We're 18 months into Windows 8 and the app situation remains dire. Just today running Netflix, it doesn't play a movie. Netflix works on the XBox One, Android, iOS, but not Windows 8.

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a pro at Windows 8 since I haven't chosen to upgrade my main pc to it yet but isn't there a app for that in the store? So even if the browser blows, wouldn't the app be good enough? And amazon instant video will always be awful unless you use their stuff

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes