Best Windows Tablet for Student?

James Allan

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Since my laptop is too big/bulky to take daily to University, I am looking for a tablet that will be able to do some Microsoft word editing, view powerpoints, PDF's etc. As well as having a keyboard that can be attached (wireless or docked, I'm not bothered). I'd like a decent size screen, the tablet cant be too heavy in the hand as well.
Also it needs to be as cheap as possible.
Any recommendations guys?

Edit: I like the look of the Nokia Lumia 2520, any thoughts?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Many people tout the Surface Pro 3 (and I guess the 2 and OG one) as being great machines for students because of the pen support among other things.

Many tablets offer free MS Office, the Surface Pro is not one unfortunately. However MS has a 4-year Office 365 University deal that you might want to take advantage of.

the 8-inch range can be a bit small, but there are options if you choose to look into them.

The 2520 (and the Surface 2) are odd Windows tablets in that they cannot run x86 programs. (just making sure) and they are solid machines, but won't do stuff like run Photoshop, Inventor, among other legacy programs that typical laptops and most other Windows tablets do. For some, its not a big deal. for others, it might be. But it will do what you ask of it.
The Surface 2 is the main competitor, its worth a look.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also an option.

These are kinda my scattered thoughts, I might be back to refine it if you need more.

James Allan

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Many people tout the Surface Pro 3 (and I guess the 2 and OG one) as being great machines for students because of the pen support among other things.

Many tablets offer free MS Office, the Surface Pro is not one unfortunately. However MS has a 4-year Office 365 University deal that you might want to take advantage of.

the 8-inch range can be a bit small, but there are options if you choose to look into them.

The 2520 (and the Surface 2) are odd Windows tablets in that they cannot run x86 programs. (just making sure) and they are solid machines, but won't do stuff like run Photoshop, Inventor, among other legacy programs that typical laptops and most other Windows tablets do. For some, its not a big deal. for others, it might be. But it will do what you ask of it.
The Surface 2 is the main competitor, its worth a look.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also an option.

These are kinda my scattered thoughts, I might be back to refine it if you need more.

Thanks for the reply. I already have the 4 year MS Office deal. I use it only on my laptop. Is it possible to use on another device without having to pay again?
I'm not sure how portable a Surface 2 is, looks pretty big to me, might not fit in my satchel. I'll have a look at the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Saw the Asus T100 but it looks very average.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I already have the 4 year MS Office deal. I use it only on my laptop. Is it possible to use on another device without having to pay again?
I'm not sure how portable a Surface 2 is, looks pretty big to me, might not fit in my satchel. I'll have a look at the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Saw the Asus T100 but it looks very average.
The Surface 2 isn't much bigger than an iPad. Even with the 16:9 aspect ratio it fits in the same bag that I use for my iPad. The bigger issue you'll need to consider when thinking about any Windows RT tablet (like the Surface 2 or Nokia 2520) is that MSIE is the only web browser available and does not support Java nor browser plug-ins. If you are taking courses that rely on online components, make sure that you are able to log in and access that online content.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Looks like Office 365 University allows for installation on two devices. (iPads, tablets, desktops...) Looks like it doesn't include phones.
So you should be good to go!

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
As a student that uses office / pdf reader / OneDrive (and watching movies), the surface 2 is an excellent device. Compared to the other more advanced (and much more expensive options), the Surface 2 works pretty well. As mentioned previously by one of the others, it depends on whether you wish to install desktop applications or not. If so, getting a windows pro device would be better.

fleeper

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy has the Sony tap 11 for $499 and it comes with a keyboard and N-Trig digitizer. It is regularly $799 FYI. I have one and I am enjoying it. The keyboard does not clamp on (it is just separate but very thin and light) and like the surface, you are not going to use the kickstand so hold this in your lap. But for a full featured tablet PC, it is hard to beat. And it has a 128 gb ssd which is very nice at this price.

So it is the same price as the cheapest full sized iPad but with much more horsepower and much cheaper than surface pro 2 or 3. You can always just go by BB and check it out.

B.

James Allan

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I need to access a domain, called Moodle. However I do not think it requires java. I can get the first Surface for ?206 with a student discount. Is this any good? As my laptop only cost ?349 so I don't want to spend anything remotely close to that figure on a tablet.
I currently own a Blackberry Playbook, however it just doesn't have the software I need. I currently have a WP 8 and my laptop runs 8.1 so I just want to have everything nice and synced.

EDIT: Maybe I'm better off with a netbook? I was originally going to get the Samsung Chromebook for ?199. However it seriously lacks software that I need. I could use the Microsoft Word Online editor but it's not really practical

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I need to access a domain, called Moodle. However I do not think it requires java.
This is proof you don't need Windows Professional. While you may need more than what Windows RT offers, you can save a little money by buying something that runs Windows 8.1 and not Windows Professional 8.1.

I'd you don't need the power of a core processor, the Transformer Book T100 is a good deal. Just try out the keyboard first.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
This is proof you don't need Windows Professional. While you may need more than what Windows RT offers, you can save a little money by buying something that runs Windows 8.1 and not Windows Professional 8.1.

I'd you don't need the power of a core processor, the Transformer Book T100 is a good deal. Just try out the keyboard first.
Good call on the T100. I nearly bought one. (ended up with an Asus X200MA 11.6" notebook)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I need to access a domain, called Moodle. However I do not think it requires java. I can get the first Surface for ?206 with a student discount. Is this any good? As my laptop only cost ?349 so I don't want to spend anything remotely close to that figure on a tablet.
I currently own a Blackberry Playbook, however it just doesn't have the software I need. I currently have a WP 8 and my laptop runs 8.1 so I just want to have everything nice and synced.

EDIT: Maybe I'm better off with a netbook? I was originally going to get the Samsung Chromebook for ?199. However it seriously lacks software that I need. I could use the Microsoft Word Online editor but it's not really practical

I found the hardware/software requirements for Moodle:

I bolded the lines that might be an issue in using a Surface 2.

Minimum Hardware and Software Requirements for Moodle? Course Interaction
PCs:

• Access to high-speed network connection (not dial-up, i.e., cable, dsl, etc.)
  • Processor: Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz / equivalent or better processor (dual core processor recommended)
  • Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7 with all current updates installed (updates available at http://update.microsoft.com)
  • Memory: 2+ Gigabytes RAM Memory
  • Hard drive: 120 Gigabyte
  • Sound card and speakers
  • Headset with microphone that plugs into your sound card (not a USB connection)
  • Monitor with 1024 x 728 pixel resolution or better
  • Software – install latest versions unless otherwise specified:
    • Internet Browser: Firefox / Internet Explorer 8 or greater
    • Firefox is the preferred browser to use Moodle)
    • Internet explorer: Download Web Browser - Internet Explorer
    • Firefox:
    • Current anti-virus software
    • Microsoft Word 2003 or newer (or Word-format compatible word processor)
    • Java/JRE: Java SE
    • Adobe Flash Player: (Surface 2 has Flash... unaware of the version/compatibility)
    • Adobe Reader: Adobe
    • QuickTime: Apple - QuickTime

My opinion: get a netbook. I use my 11.6" Asus X200MA netbook more than my Surface 2. Full Windows, full-sized VGA, HDMI, (x3) USB, SD ports, WiFi, Ethernet, 4 GB RAM, 500GB harddrive, touchscreen... $279. I believe that Asus has an equivalent model for the UK/European market. Worth a glance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos