Should I get a tablet for note taking now, or wait?

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking to get an 8 inch tablet for note taking for some time now. I made myself wait for Computex to see if anything new and compelling would come out, and so far nothing. We have seen the offerings from Asus, Acer, Dell, and Toshiba - I can't imagine we're going to see anything anytime soon.

Dyou reckon I should go ahead and get the Asus VivoTab Note 8 now? Or, according to the timetables of past years, can I expect to see something new in the next couple months?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been looking to get an 8 inch tablet for note taking for some time now. I made myself wait for Computex to see if anything new and compelling would come out, and so far nothing. We have seen the offerings from Asus, Acer, Dell, and Toshiba - I can't imagine we're going to see anything anytime soon.

Dyou reckon I should go ahead and get the Asus VivoTab Note 8 now? Or, according to the timetables of past years, can I expect to see something new in the next couple months?
There are a few 8" Windows tablets being released this month. If you aren't in a rush, take a look at what will be available... the quality and performance are going to be up, the prices, down.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter how long you wait, tbh. The next best thing will always be shortly released after you got something. ;) Seriously, that's the way the tech world works.

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a few 8" Windows tablets being released this month. If you aren't in a rush, take a look at what will be available... the quality and performance are going to be up, the prices, down.

Are any of these coming with active digitizers? I know about the Toshiba, which others are going to be coming?

It doesn't matter how long you wait, tbh. The next best thing will always be shortly released after you got something. ;) Seriously, that's the way the tech world works.

That's true to a point, although at the moment I think we're in a situation where there's lots of room for improvement - more than usual. For active digitizer based 8 inch tablets, we have the Venue 8 pro, and the VivoTab Note 8, both of which have plenty of room for improvement as note takers go.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Are any of these coming with active digitizers? I know about the Toshiba, which others are going to be coming?
I don't know. I'm very interesting in an 8" Windows tablet with active digitizer as well. I'm waiting for Dell or Asus to announce the next gen of their respective devices...

That's true to a point, although at the moment I think we're in a situation where there's lots of room for improvement - more than usual. For active digitizer based 8 inch tablets, we have the Venue 8 pro, and the VivoTab Note 8, both of which have plenty of room for improvement as note takers go.
You are quite correct that companies have a general pattern of releasing new products that is somewhat predictable. I think it is wise to wait for the next wave.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Keep a close eye on the dell venue 8 pro they have had many brief but large discounts on it pop up in the windows store. If you're patient you may be able to get one cheap. If not look at Fujitsu. Their tablets (they call them slates) are all full wp8 and all use wacom digitizer. Much better quality then dells offering.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
And if you are open to used most fujitsu's are sold on business lease so when they are used they are typically I great condition and far cheaper. My friend got his 752 with I7 and cellular built I for $570 and that model tablet PC costs around $2600 new.

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone's wondering - I figured because of Amazon's return policy I would go ahead and try the Vivotab Note 8. I used it for a day, and decided to send it back because of some issues with the digitizer. Very poor edge detection primarily, and that coupled with a high failure rate just meant it made way more sense to wait for something better. Amazon processed my refund literally an hour after I dropped it off at UPS, which is amazing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos