Should I upgrade to the Surface Pro?

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I started out with the Asus Vivotab RT. It was nice and I loved the 7-8 hour battery life, but the thing was just slow.

I spotted an Asus B121 on Ebay for under $200 (a steal) so I got it. It's a 12.1 inch Windows 7 tablet with Wacom pen, Gorilla Glass, 2 USB 3.0 ports, SD card slot. Bluetooth 2.0, 64GB SSD, i5 1.33Ghz processor, 4GB DDR3 Ram, nice speakers and beautiful screen. I immediately put Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) on it. It's hard to think that the B121 wasn't already designed around Windows 8 like the newer tablets are. One sucky thing about the B121 is the 3-4 hour battery. Not super-awful but... I will say the tablet is VERY speedy and it's fun to use.

I have a chance to sell the B121 for $400 (yeah, they go for that much) and with it I am thinking of picking up a first Gen Surface Pro. I think the battery lasts longer than 3-4 hours. But, it has a smaller screen, not sure if it's Gorilla Glass. and it doesn't come with a Wacom pen if I remember right.

I don't know why I am hesitating..I guess because if I just had one more hour of battery life in my B121 I think it was be the best Windows 8.1 tablet out there.

Any thoughts?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the surface machines do have gorilla glass. the surface pro machines also come with a wacom pen.

I say if you're perfectly happy with the asus, keep it. The original Surface Pro had bad battery life (I'm pretty sure it's in the same range as your Asus). Unless you get the battery keyboard, it'd be more of a lateral move.

I'm not sure how great a 1280x800 screen is, especially at 12". Asus screens aren't particularly bright. If you really like that screen, it'll definitely be a step up to see how nice the 1920x1080 screen of the Surface Pro.

Gorilla Glass is not that strong of a selling point for a laptop as it is for a phone. A phone is in a pocket with change and keys. Things that scratch up a screen. Gorilla Glass is for scratch resistance. The Surface is usually covered by the keyboard and in a bag away from keys, pens, etc. Gorilla Glass doesn't provide any protection from drops. In fact, if you drop it on it's tip, vertically, it will shatter just like an iPhone.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanx for the response.

There is alot to like about my Asus. It was an impulse buy because of the price but it really has been a good tablet.

I worry about its age. These were produced at the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011. It will be 4 years old soon. Very old in computer years :)

I haven't quite decided yet but I am getting there.

Thanx again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2