Best Windows Store apps for using Google services?

ozaz

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Question is in the title.

Personally, I'm particularly interested in Gmail, Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Google Maps, Google Play Music, and whether there is any way to access Google Play Movies I have rented or purchased. But please include any good apps for other Google services as well.

I already know from experience that Metromail is a good client for Gmail, and Outcoldplayer is a good client for Google Play Music, but have not really explored ways to access the other services.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gmail, contacts and calendar are all integrated nicely for me by staying signed into my Google accounts and syncing via Settings > email+accounts. No worries there for any of those - I've nt had any problems having them integrate seamlessly on the device.

As far as Google search... I'm starting to shift over to Bing and Cortana is instrumental in winning me over there.

Google Maps. Used to love GMaps... Now it is Here all the way. LOVE Here. Nokia's history in mapping is just as deep as Googles. The more I use Here, the more I see it has advantages for my use.

When it comes to purchasing entertainment (music mostly, I rarely purchase digital only visual media): I never let my only licensed copy reside in the cloud. I download everything for use on my devices as I see fit.

​I know it isn't exactly on point, but my two cents worth anyway.

ozaz

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Regarding gmail, contacts, and calendar - are you talking about Windows Phone rather than a Windows 8 tablet? There doesn't seem to be a Settings > email+accounts in Windows 8.

I'd use HERE maps if I had a Windows Phone. But I have an Android Phone and find it useful to have my maps search history in sync between devices. Hence the desire to use a Google Maps client on Windows 8 tablet. I'll give GMaps a go.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL... You are right. I got my subforums crossed. My mistake for sure.

Let's take a Mulligan.

On my 8.1 Tablet I use Chrome browser and it keeps all my Google stuff synced up. I use Chrome for Gmail and via that account, Contacts.

I use Gmail Calendar App.

Play Music should download an app for you via browser, that's what I do on my laptop anyway. Like I said I download any purchase and roll it out from laptop to devices.

I understand wanting your mapping experience consistent between Tablet and Phone. That makes perfect sense. There is a Here Maps App for Windows Desktop, BTW. I love how it works with built in snap. So far as an App for Google Maps, I never looked for one... Sorry

ozaz

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
RumoredNow,

Thanks, I'll try Gmail Calendar app. I've been trying OneCalendar but it seems to have a couple of annoying bugs.

I want to avoid desktop apps as much as possible on my 10" tablet so I'd like to avoid Chrome for regular use. I know it can masquerade as a metro app, but it's still a desktop app.

For Google Play Music I'm extremely happy with Outcoldplayer, and for Gmail I'm extremely happy with MetroMail. I'd recommend anyone reading this thread to check them out.

I really hope Microsoft adds Google Contacts support to Windows soon, just like they've added it to Windows Phone. Even if I find a 3rd party Google Contacts app, there are benefits to having contacts in the default contacts app that a 3rd party app, no matter how good, can't replace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb