Any advice on best tablets?

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I have just entered college and the majority of my texts are e-books. I don't really like reading on my PC 💻 so I am looking at some tablets, preferably 7-8 inch but I am considering 10 inch tablets, I will not need something like a surface pro my tablet will only play a few games watch a some movies and read on it. I am not really interested in Windows RT and I am considering Android even though I would prefer full Windows. My problem is that the majority of them use Intel atom chips and I am not sure how well they perform. I also don't need that many bells and whistles even though USB otg and an IR blaster would be cool but it would be best if the tablet is$200-$250.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey. For ebooks, kindles are God's gift. A kindle fire hd or kindle fire hdx is also amazing. They are optimized for reading, so they last a good while. Also, they aren't expensive, and for the price, they pack a lot of power.

Otherwise, if you want full windows, cant go wrong with a Dell venue 8 pro.

This post also talks about an amazing USB that works for both mini and full sized usb ports.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=303126

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey. For ebooks, kindles are God's gift. A kindle fire hd or kindle fire hdx is also amazing. They are optimized for reading, so they last a good while. Also, they aren't expensive, and for the price, they pack a lot of power.

Otherwise, if you want full windows, cant go wrong with a Dell venue 8 pro.

This post also talks about an amazing USB that works for both mini and full sized usb ports.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=303126

Kindle is a little simple and the venue 8pro is only 3.8 stars on amazon so I'm not sure how well it works thanks though

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I have just entered college and the majority of my texts are e-books. I don't really like reading on my PC 💻 so I am looking at some tablets, preferably 7-8 inch but I am considering 10 inch tablets, I will not need something like a surface pro my tablet will only play a few games watch a some movies and read on it. I am not really interested in Windows RT and I am considering Android even though I would prefer full Windows. My problem is that the majority of them use Intel atom chips and I am not sure how well they perform. I also don't need that many bells and whistles even though USB otg and an IR blaster would be cool but it would be best if the tablet is$200-$250.
Thanks in advance for any help.

As long as you stick to the current generation of Intel Atom chips, (Bay-Trail), performance will be great. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and its quite good, although I must say most current 8" tablets are the same under the hood, its the smaller features that vary. The current Atom's are a far cry from the old netbook chips of old, Starcraft II was quite playable on my Venue, along with GTA San Andreas. Other people have done games like Hearthstone, Minecraft, Halo etc.
For light to moderate use, these baby's will be just fine. I don't know of tablets that have IR, although if there's a USB IR peripheral, you can definitely use it. The Venue 8 Pro is often the tablet of choice because of its popularity and often lower cost compared to its compatriots, but do check out others.

Kindle is a little simple and the venue 8pro is only 3.8 stars on amazon so I'm not sure how well it works thanks though

Only 3.8 stars? "Only" 3.8 stars? its a budget tablet. For me, it works great, only complaint is storage space (i got the 32 GB model, no SD) and that the touchscreen used to have this quirk, but its not around after i got it serviced.
The stylus was terrible at launch so Dell pulled it and redesigned it. The current styli aren't Wacom quality, but they work well.

I picked up a Fintie case and keyboard and this tablet has replaced my laptop as the go-to device for class.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean by simple? Just my feelings about it here, but: it is extremely light, has a bigger app ecosystem than windows does, and the battery life does quite well while costing only 200-350.
Idk how well the HDX does with video, but my 7" kindle fire hd was able to watch my personal hi def videos for 8 hours Straight.
Also, the sound is superb. I havent seen another tablet device that can match the sound of the kindle fire hd series. (I feel like i should be paid for this praise, lol)

For 3.8 stars seems quite good to be honest. That's a 76% grade, and just by users who purchased on amazon. Idk much about the Dell venue 8 pro, but everyone gives it good rep, so i am trusting that.

Try these tablets out at best buy. You might fancy them.

And for more info though, Microsoft does have its selection of tablets on its website.

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I personally think the kindle fire UI is kinda simple and for the it blaster I was talking about the one on the Samsung galaxy tab 4

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What are you planing to use it for? Last check, college involved writing papers, in which case an Atom processor will be more than enough for that. A surface RT would be a good choice also. I don't know what you plan to do with android beyond playing games.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What are you planing to use it for? Last check, college involved writing papers, in which case an Atom processor will be more than enough for that. A surface RT would be a good choice also. I don't know what you plan to do with android beyond playing games.

He wants to read ebooks.

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Well its not only for reading I do intend to play games with it and watch some movies because what use is a tablet that you cant waste time on ;)

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Well its not only for reading I do intend to play games with it and watch some movies because what use is a tablet that you cant waste time on ;)

Have you seen the new Nvidia shield tablet? Amaze-balls!

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
A little outside my price range but if I could I would definitely buy it

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I feel ya. Surface RT 1 plays games and Netflix. If you have a portable drive or thumb drive, you can pull movies and music from there. Works great. Anything else? :)

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the Tab Pro 8.4? The same price range, but it has a faster CPU, lighter, and better screen. All around better tablet.

​Both are great though. I use to own the G Pad 8.3 before it was stolen, now I own the Tab Pro 8.4.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen the new Nvidia shield tablet? Amaze-balls!

Nah I've spent some time with the Nvidea shield and it is absolute garbage. Heavy, glitchy, touchscreen is terrible, screen is just okay, and the whole thing is just super bulky! Trust me, before I actually used it I was in love, but the device itself was a huge letdown when I actually got a chance to play with it.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Nah I've spent some time with the Nvidea shield and it is absolute garbage. Heavy, glitchy, touchscreen is terrible, screen is just okay, and the whole thing is just super bulky! Trust me, before I actually used it I was in love, but the device itself was a huge letdown when I actually got a chance to play with it.

Good to know. Makes me sad though... But.. Maybe it was just that device? There is little complaints about it over at android central

Joshhi

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered the Tab Pro 8.4? The same price range, but it has a faster CPU, lighter, and better screen. All around better tablet.

​Both are great though. I use to own the G Pad 8.3 before it was stolen, now I own the Tab Pro 8.4.

I hate Samsung so buying a Samsung tab just feels wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire