I need some help on choosing a new tablet

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm wishing to get a new tablet running Windows but so far I just can't decide which one, these are the options I've explored:

As you can see all of those are priced around USD 250 and have similar specs, however I was hoping you could give me some advice from your own experience or thoughts.

Also I'm a little bit concerned about the warranty issue, I live outside the United States, and yet is cheaper to buy and ship to my country than buying here :cry:

Thanks for your help :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm wishing to get a new tablet running Windows but so far I just can't decide which one, these are the options I've explored:

As you can see all of those are priced around USD 250 and have similar specs, however I was hoping you could give me some advice from your own experience or thoughts.

Also I'm a little bit concerned about the warranty issue, I live outside the United States, and yet is cheaper to buy and ship to my country than buying here :cry:

Thanks for your help :smile:

I personally have the Dell Venue 8 Pro because I got an open box deal on it.
For the most part, they are pretty much similar if not the same in terms of performance.
The differences arise with smaller features and things like battery life.

I would check to see what accessories are available for the tablets.

The Dell has a proprietary active stylus, which the ASUS has Wacom tech in it.O
hey, looks like the Toshiba has GPS in it.
the Lenovo looks like its the lightest.

My experience with the Dell is quite good for the most part. The start button is physical and arguably oddly placed, but i like it actually. I used to have some touchscreen bugginess, but it has gone away.

Well, is the risk of no warranty when your tablet develops a serious problem worth the money saved by buying here?

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I personally have the Dell Venue 8 Pro because I got an open box deal on it.
For the most part, they are pretty much similar if not the same in terms of performance.
The differences arise with smaller features and things like battery life.

I would check to see what accessories are available for the tablets.

The Dell has a proprietary active stylus, which the ASUS has Wacom tech in it.O
hey, looks like the Toshiba has GPS in it.
the Lenovo looks like its the lightest.

My experience with the Dell is quite good for the most part. The start button is physical and arguably oddly placed, but i like it actually. I used to have some touchscreen bugginess, but it has gone away.

Well, is the risk of no warranty when your tablet develops a serious problem worth the money saved by buying here?

Is not just the money I could save, most of the tablets I listed above are not available in my country ._.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I picked up a 9 month old Dell VP8 for ?130 recently and it's a good buy, but I must admit I didn't realise it doesn't have GPS and it is the perfect size for a sat nav screen so that's a bit of a let down. Of course that might not be important to you.

Overall it seems well built and I like it because you basically get the full desktop version of Windows like you do on a desktop or laptop, and of course the Metro interface too so you get the best of both worlds on a tablet.

I personally like the Windows Start button on the top left side, it makes a lot more sense to me than placing it beneath the screen as on most tablets. You will find it is a much more natural place for your finger to find, but you will probably use the onscreen one on the right of the screen mostly anyway.

Am I happy with it? That's a tricky one because I came from a 10.1" Sony Tablet Z and I am finding it harder to get used to the smaller screen than I thought I would, and the lower resolution. Technically I can't really fault it, it's quick enough and it's good to use but it's more of a disappointment than I expected it to be not having a full 1080p HD screen and because of that there is a tinge of regret, but again that might not be an issue for you.

I miss the onscreen keyboard that Windows Phone has, which is fantastic on the Lumia 930. You can download the TouchPal swipe keyboard (free) but it's nowhere near as good, and the Android version worked much better. Alternatively you can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for around ?25 but I can see myself reaching for my laptop if I need to type anything more than the odd sentence.

I wanted to switch to a Windows tablet from Android but I have to admit I used the Sony all the time, but don't feel that I want to pick up the Dell so often and I am already considering switching to a Nokia 2520 if I can find one at the right price. I can't deny that it's easier in the hand than the 10 inch Sony but if you have already owned a 10 inch tablet before you might feel that it is a step backwards. To be fair, the Sony is a more expensive tablet.

SergyOrtiz

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I picked up a 9 month old Dell VP8 for ?130 recently and it's a good buy, but I must admit I didn't realise it doesn't have GPS and it is the perfect size for a sat nav screen so that's a bit of a let down. Of course that might not be important to you.

Overall it seems well built and I like it because you basically get the full desktop version of Windows like you do on a desktop or laptop, and of course the Metro interface too so you get the best of both worlds on a tablet.

I personally like the Windows Start button on the top left side, it makes a lot more sense to me than placing it beneath the screen as on most tablets. You will find it is a much more natural place for your finger to find, but you will probably use the onscreen one on the right of the screen mostly anyway.

Am I happy with it? That's a tricky one because I came from a 10.1" Sony Tablet Z and I am finding it harder to get used to the smaller screen than I thought I would, and the lower resolution. Technically I can't really fault it, it's quick enough and it's good to use but it's more of a disappointment than I expected it to be not having a full 1080p HD screen and because of that there is a tinge of regret, but again that might not be an issue for you.

I miss the onscreen keyboard that Windows Phone has, which is fantastic on the Lumia 930. You can download the TouchPal swipe keyboard (free) but it's nowhere near as good, and the Android version worked much better. Alternatively you can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for around ?25 but I can see myself reaching for my laptop if I need to type anything more than the odd sentence.

I wanted to switch to a Windows tablet from Android but I have to admit I used the Sony all the time, but don't feel that I want to pick up the Dell so often and I am already considering switching to a Nokia 2520 if I can find one at the right price. I can't deny that it's easier in the hand than the 10 inch Sony but if you have already owned a 10 inch tablet before you might feel that it is a step backwards. To be fair, the Sony is a more expensive tablet.

For me 8" is all I need, so I would be ok with that, my concerns are towards the quality of the product and your opinion about the onscreen keyboard are really helpful, thanks :)

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Š
For me 8" is all I need, so I would be ok with that, my concerns are towards the quality of the product and your opinion about the onscreen keyboard are really helpful, thanks :)

You're welcome. I can't fault the quality to be honest, and it's a nice size to hold, just that I'm used to a larger tablet and higher res has probably spoilt me but it's only noticeable to me when reading really small text.

It is easy enough to type on, I have just typed this post out on it using the standard keyboard. I'm going to stick with it for a couple of weeks before I make my mind up about going for the N2520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss