Kindle Fire 6 vs ...?

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So with the release of the Kindle Fire 6, Amazon has a $99 HD device. I realize Toshiba has a device for $119 with pros and cons vs the Fire 6, as does Acer for $149. My question is when do we think we will see the wave of sub $150 Windows devices with at least 720p and microSD support? I cannot seem to find any ideas other than the holidays, which always seems hit or miss with those being new devices or sales on backed up inventory of old devices. I think the Fire 6 would suit my needs, but it would be amazing to have time waster apps whose progress syncs with my desktop and phone. So...I'm hoping for some help :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As Windows costs $0, it's up to the hardware companies to build to the same price point.

Amazon do have an advantage as they can sell for cost as they expect return through services/app/book sales. But other companies should be able to get close...

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
So with the release of the Kindle Fire 6, Amazon has a $99 HD device. I realize Toshiba has a device for $119 with pros and cons vs the Fire 6, as does Acer for $149. My question is when do we think we will see the wave of sub $150 Windows devices with at least 720p and microSD support? I cannot seem to find any ideas other than the holidays, which always seems hit or miss with those being new devices or sales on backed up inventory of old devices. I think the Fire 6 would suit my needs, but it would be amazing to have time waster apps whose progress syncs with my desktop and phone. So...I'm hoping for some help :)

You should focus on your needs, or more specifically, wants. A pervasive theme I see with Windows-Mobile users is this desperation for a more generalized and global acceptance of the platform. Who cares? So long as you're happy with the OS and hardware, it shouldn't matter. Don't brood over things you can't control!

I think the Kindle Fire 6 is going to be an excellent COMPANION tablet to compliment my Surface Pro 2 and Lumia Icon. For =ME= it fits the niche and role of a small, super-portable media consumption device. So much so, in fact, I went ahead and pre-ordered a citron one. Take what I say with a grain of salt~ since I also strongly believe that windows phone, and the windows platform as a whole, is geared more towards the business community which I happen to be part of. My surface pro 2 is strictly a productivity device.

If you want a relatively good tablet for-the-price: Seriously look at the Dell Venue Pro 8". It runs full windows and you can generally find them for around $150. There is the Toshiba Encore Tablet as well which I THINK sells for around... 120? But if you can afford it, buy a surface pro tablet. It'll be worth the money.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Got my girl a Kindle Fire HDX the first month of release. It's not a bad tablet and the hardware/screen is really impressive. I am less impressed with their new Kindle Fire lineup though. I was expecting Amazon to continue the resolution race and offer 1080p at an extremely cheap price. A lot of 6-8 inch tablets in the $100-$200 range are 1200x800. A few standout, like the iPad Mini with Retina display (the 2012 iPad Mini also had a 1200x800 resolution), but even newer tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Tab 7 is 1200x800. Admittedly, it's not that bad on smaller screens. And I understand, for cost reasons, why OEMs shoot for that resolution. I was just hoping that Amazon would break the mold. I just got a Toshiba Encore 2 for $200 (which is also rocking a 1200x800 screen) and I think it stacks up well with the new Fires. I doubt the processor in the Fires are significantly better than Bay Trail, and things like profile switching has existed in Windows for like forever.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My question is when do we think we will see the wave of sub $150 Windows devices with at least 720p and microSD support?

All I could find was this, but don't know if/when it will be available: Emdoor EM-i8080, the $100 tablet with Windows 8.1: Hands on video - Mobile Geeks

A pervasive theme I see with Windows-Mobile users is this desperation for a more generalized and global acceptance of the platform. Who cares? So long as you're happy with the OS and hardware, it shouldn't matter. Don't brood over things you can't control!

I think the fear is that their favourite platform might be killed off if it doesn't find more acceptance. Also more acceptance equals more and better apps due to increased developer interest. And of course people don't like being mocked for choosing the least popular platform. I'm sure there are other reasons too. Point is, why dismiss them? (Plus, they can definitely make a difference if they succeed in convincing more people of the benefits and help them switch.)

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So it sounds like no one has really heard any rumors other than that Chinese OEM $100 device that may or may not be available worldwide? I would think the likes of Lenovo, Dell, etc would be aiming for a $100 device sooner than later, but apparently no one has heard anything promising?? :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923