How Windows 8.1 with Bing fare on 1/16 configuration?

kurotsuki

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Let's straight to the case. Is there anyone has experience on using tablets with Windows 8.1 with Bing? Specially those tablets with 1/16 configuration (1GB RAM/16GB storage).
I'm curious on how well this configuration works on day-to-day basis (web browsing, checking emails, document editing, listening music, watching videos, light image editing, light casual gaming, etc). I have zero interest on running mid-to-high class gaming on tablets. How well does this 1GB handle those tasks?
As for the storage, how much is the Windows with Bing eat after full installation (Windows with Bing and probably Office 365 since they usually shipped with 1-year-free license). Within this 16GB, how much is the actual usable storage we can utilize? (disregarding the page files space requirement. I'm just wondering how much is the storage left when we unboxing these kind of tablets).
I'm interested in a tablet built by local OEM here because their tablets are quite cheap (comparable to those Chinese tablets) and they already has 3G support by default. But they only have 1/16 configuration for both 8 and 10 inchers.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Post-install and recovery partition on a T100, you're left with ~20GB. I expect the compression to be more effective on those tablets.

As for the 2GB, Win8 barely consumes 1GB after Internet Explorer and multiple tabs on my T100. I can also run Osu! with ease.

A T100 has 32GB internal storage, and 2GB RAM, by the way.

kurotsuki

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you name some 16gb tablets that you're considering?

It's Advan Vanbook W100. Advan is the local OEM from Indonesia, Vanbook is the product name. It's just announced on September 25th and will be sold on mid October. It only cost IDR 2,400,000 (around USD 198 I think). For comparison, T100 and Iconia W4+bluetooth keyboard was sold here at IDR 4,900,000 (around USD 400).

Post-install and recovery partition on a T100, you're left with ~20GB. I expect the compression to be more effective on those tablets.

As for the 2GB, Win8 barely consumes 1GB after Internet Explorer and multiple tabs on my T100. I can also run Osu! with ease.

A T100 has 32GB internal storage, and 2GB RAM, by the way.

Yeah. I already know about T100 (and all variant that released around it like Dell Venue Pro 8, Miix 2, Iconia W4, etc). But all of them are using normal Windows 8.1.
If 32GB will leave around 20GB (which mean 12GB is used up), then 16GB will leave only a mere 4GB. If these 4GB used by page files, that will leave small to no rooms left for the user.
What I want to know is how this new Windows 8.1 with Bing tackle this. I heard it support lower hardware (ram and storage wise) so logically I thought that the installation base consume less storage than normal Windows 8.1. Some even said that it might only consume 4-6GB at most *although I doubt it*. I need to confirm this first before jumping to conclusion whether this tablet worth to buy or not.
As for RAM usage, can I conclude from your reply that 1GB is enough for general day-to-day basis (light usage that I have mentioned in the first post)?

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I can say that my Toshiba Encore 2 has quickly become my go-to tablet for just about everything. Even though it is running on 1Gb, it has not shown me any issues...hanging up, slowing down, etc. I also own the DV8P, Lenovo Miix 2 8, and Iconia W4 to compare my Encore 2 to. Don't get me wrong, the 2 Gb tablets are definitely better equipped to handle heavy usage, but for most people, 1 Gb would most likely be enough, in my opinion, especially on 8 inch devices or less.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up an Insignia 8 inch tablet from Best Buy with "Windows 8 with Bing" for $99 (!!!) -- On this tablet, you get a ~10 gig system drive (5 GB used for Windows & installed apps) and the "16 GB" is actually an included 16GB MicroSD card in addition to the System drive. I can't say for other manufacturers, but if that is the standard config for the Bing tablets, it's good news. I will be creating a new thread for this tablet if I can't find an existing one.

anon1727506

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Think many of these are using WIMBoot to keep the Windows Installation compressed.

Here’s the biggest news yet: With WIMBoot, Windows can be installed to just 4 GB of space or so. In other words, manufacturers can make 16 GB Windows tablets or laptops and 12 GB of their space will be available for applications and user data.

Don't think you'll be doing any video editing or playing any hardcore games on these devices... but for basic tablet functions they should be fine. Plus most all allow for an additional SD Card to be added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos