Bang for buck tablet?!

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I got an original Surface RT 64G from some reseller on Amazon new in box in August for $238. Refurbished ones are cheaper. In every way it is a premium device. I've browsed tablets recently at Best Buy and Microsoft Store and as far as "look and feel" and build quality nothing even compares except the Apple iPad devices which are similar build quality. As far as performance, I've been satisfied with my RT, although it is not the fastest device I've ever used. It includes Office 2013 for Windows RT - Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Outlook - and they run great. No subscription - Office for the life of the device is included in the purchase price. I believe that is an exceptional value.

I briefly considered the Asus 10" convertible tablet, but looking at the screen - even though it was higher resolution than the RT, it looked shabby and dim. The Surface RT screen is bright and beautiful. Great in daylight, even better for movie watching on long flights.:kiss:

I got a used type 2 cover and it works great, as well as a 64G micro-SD card that ups my storage to 128G. Has 2G RAM built in, micro-HDMI output, full size USB2 port. Bang for buck is very very high IMO.

I can not run Windows desktop apps. I don't mind that. When connected to wifi on my home network It sees my NAS drive, it sees my desktop share, it sees and works with my printer (for both printing and scanning), it can cast video and audio to my DNLA devices. I can remote desktop to my desktop PC if I choose. I can and have connected an HDMI cable from the Surface RT to my TV, and an XBox 360 controller to the USB port and played Asphalt 8 on my living room TV. I'm sure this would work with other games. The capabilities of this device for the price I paid astonish me.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys what the difference if any between the surface rt and a surface 2?

off the top of my head, Surface 2 is much faster, has a silver finish, better display, two positions for the kickstand. Pretty sure there might be a few more minor though.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is having a sale on refurbished 32gb surface 2 for $199! Can't remember if it starts tommorow or later but wpcentral just ran an article on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss