Bang for buck tablet?!

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, it seems every day I hear of a new budget tablet being released so I honestly don't know where to look. Can people please recommend their top few pics that fit these categories?:

-8" or more 10 ideally
-2gb or more ram
-Run w8.1
-WiFi
-Decent resolution (similar ppi to my 925)
-300 dollar or below. Ideally 200.

Its just going to be a cheap youtube and pdf viewer.. I'm happy for a no name Chinese or indian thing if that does it..

Any help or input would be much appreciated folks!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Because I've had such a great experience and average close to 100 hours a week for the past 2 years on my Surface's, I'd have to recommend the Surface RT or Surface 2. Best two things I have ever purchased in my life!

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough.. So are you suggesting a second hand item then? If so what one have you had such fantastic experience with?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Second hand would definitely make it cheaper. I have had fantastic experiences with both. I bought the Surface RT on release date and used it for a year until I bought the Surface 2 on release date. Both are still alive and working flawlessly, my brother has been using the Surface RT as his primary device and I have been using my Surface 2 as my primary device. I have cousins and friends who are also enjoying their Surface's and saying the exact same thing!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT looks and feels like Windows 8. Has a working file explorer, USB port for flash drives and peripherals, comes preloaded with Office, and much much more. Only downfall, it is similar to an iPad in where it will only run applications that are preloaded on it or in the Windows App Store.

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Ah thanks for the info. Exactly what I am after.

On the surface note I heard a while ago of a site selling refurbished surfaces quite cheap but can't remember? Anyone able to help me?

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I'm still a fan of my Dell Venue 8 Pro (had for 150$). I'd also suggest waiting if you can, lots of items on the horizon.

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yea the problem is that it seems there is always something on the horizon! Hence why I'm thinking a cheap tablet now and once w10 tablets are being made and sold I will get a good one then perhaps.

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked at the Winbook TW800 ($99-$139). I think this little guy checks off all the features you were looking for. I'm looking at getting one myself. The only catch is that you can only get them instore at Micro Center.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Eh I think if you can find a good conditioned Surface RT that will be a good enough buy for your needs til W10 arrives. I researched a bit on those cheap $100 tablets and found that the Surface RT would be best for what you want, if you can splurge for a Surface 2, also get the type cover, that's like the no. 1 accessory for it

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Have a look on amazon for the voyo A1 Mini. 8", full windows 8.1 and I got it brand new for ?120 so just shy of $200. It performs fantastically for me (bought as a cheap development machine) and I have no complaints. Cheapest full windows tab I could find in the UK.

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Have you looked at the Winbook TW800 ($99-$139). I think this little guy checks off all the features you were looking for. I'm looking at getting one myself. The only catch is that you can only get them instore at Micro Center.

To be honest that's the kind of thing I was looking for... But the only available in stores option is a big no for people kik me who are outside the USA, one thing I have noticed today whilst on holidays in Singapore is windows loses to android HUGELY with budget tablets in stores..
If you want a sub 400 tablet in windows you have to hope for a Asus on sale, if you want a sub 400 android there at least 12 to choose from!!

Microsoft needs to push this area big time, yes the surface is awesome but for example my wife wanted a cheap junker to use on hotel WiFi whilst on holidays as we left our laptop in Australia (too much business sensitive info) and there was nothing..

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Edit:

Just ran a bing search on the 8" tw801 and if I could buy online I'd do it now!
The full size usb and w8.1 has me:)

Anyone know a loop hole around the stupid in store only scheme?

aaron j

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the input.. I was even considering a refurbished surface rt. Is the rt app store the same as the wp store?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the input.. I was even considering a refurbished surface rt. Is the rt app store the same as the wp store?

The Windows Store and Windows Phone Store are separate entities, although there is effort to bridge the gap. Namely universal app stuff for devs.
So the RT app store is the Windows Store that you would find on a typical Windows 8.x PC for the most part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte