Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

11-18-2014 09:24 AM
29 12
tools
    Hi guys, it seems every day I hear of a new budget tablet being released so I honestly don't know where to look. Can people please recommend their top few pics that fit these categories?:

-8" or more 10 ideally
    -2gb or more ram
    -Run w8.1
    -WiFi
    -Decent resolution (similar ppi to my 925)
    -300 dollar or below. Ideally 200.

Its just going to be a cheap youtube and pdf viewer.. I'm happy for a no name Chinese or indian thing if that does it..

Any help or input would be much appreciated folks!
    10-08-2014 08:35 AM
    Because I've had such a great experience and average close to 100 hours a week for the past 2 years on my Surface's, I'd have to recommend the Surface RT or Surface 2. Best two things I have ever purchased in my life!
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    10-08-2014 08:41 AM
    Fair enough.. So are you suggesting a second hand item then? If so what one have you had such fantastic experience with?
    10-08-2014 09:35 AM
    Second hand would definitely make it cheaper. I have had fantastic experiences with both. I bought the Surface RT on release date and used it for a year until I bought the Surface 2 on release date. Both are still alive and working flawlessly, my brother has been using the Surface RT as his primary device and I have been using my Surface 2 as my primary device. I have cousins and friends who are also enjoying their Surface's and saying the exact same thing!
    10-08-2014 09:38 AM
    Is surface rt basically windows phone? Its not a desktop interface as such is it..?
    10-08-2014 09:41 AM
    The Surface RT looks and feels like Windows 8. Has a working file explorer, USB port for flash drives and peripherals, comes preloaded with Office, and much much more. Only downfall, it is similar to an iPad in where it will only run applications that are preloaded on it or in the Windows App Store.
    10-08-2014 09:44 AM
    Ah thanks for the info. Exactly what I am after.

On the surface note I heard a while ago of a site selling refurbished surfaces quite cheap but can't remember? Anyone able to help me?
    10-08-2014 09:50 AM
    To be honest I'm still a fan of my Dell Venue 8 Pro (had for 150$). I'd also suggest waiting if you can, lots of items on the horizon.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-08-2014 11:38 AM
    Yea the problem is that it seems there is always something on the horizon! Hence why I'm thinking a cheap tablet now and once w10 tablets are being made and sold I will get a good one then perhaps.
    10-08-2014 11:39 PM
    Have you looked at the Winbook TW800 ($99-$139). I think this little guy checks off all the features you were looking for. I'm looking at getting one myself. The only catch is that you can only get them instore at Micro Center.
    10-09-2014 02:21 AM
    Eh I think if you can find a good conditioned Surface RT that will be a good enough buy for your needs til W10 arrives. I researched a bit on those cheap $100 tablets and found that the Surface RT would be best for what you want, if you can splurge for a Surface 2, also get the type cover, that's like the no. 1 accessory for it
    10-09-2014 02:39 AM
    Have a look on amazon for the voyo A1 Mini. 8", full windows 8.1 and I got it brand new for 120 so just shy of $200. It performs fantastically for me (bought as a cheap development machine) and I have no complaints. Cheapest full windows tab I could find in the UK.
    10-09-2014 02:47 AM
    Have you looked at the Winbook TW800 ($99-$139). I think this little guy checks off all the features you were looking for. I'm looking at getting one myself. The only catch is that you can only get them instore at Micro Center.

To be honest that's the kind of thing I was looking for... But the only available in stores option is a big no for people kik me who are outside the USA, one thing I have noticed today whilst on holidays in Singapore is windows loses to android HUGELY with budget tablets in stores..
    If you want a sub 400 tablet in windows you have to hope for a Asus on sale, if you want a sub 400 android there at least 12 to choose from!!

Microsoft needs to push this area big time, yes the surface is awesome but for example my wife wanted a cheap junker to use on hotel WiFi whilst on holidays as we left our laptop in Australia (too much business sensitive info) and there was nothing..
    10-09-2014 02:51 AM
    Edit:

Just ran a bing search on the 8" tw801 and if I could buy online I'd do it now!
    The full size usb and w8.1 has me:)

Anyone know a loop hole around the stupid in store only scheme?
    10-09-2014 03:19 AM
    Check out this item I found using the eBay Windows Phone App: http://ebay.us/m2AQmC

Has anyone used the above tablet? Need one for work until w10 comes out..
    11-11-2014 03:05 AM
    Check out this item I found using the eBay Windows Phone App: NEW Ainol Inovo 8 Windows 8 1 Intel CPU 8" HD IPS Screen 3G Wifi PC Tablet PAD | eBay

Has anyone used the above tablet? Need one for work until w10 comes out..
    For that money, I'd pick up something name brand like a Dell Venue 8 Pro or any of its compatriots, almost new.
    11-11-2014 03:55 PM
    Cheers for the input.. I was even considering a refurbished surface rt. Is the rt app store the same as the wp store?
    11-11-2014 05:38 PM
    Something like this?
    Check out this item I found using the eBay Windows Phone App: http://ebay.us/FVLtFe
    11-11-2014 05:43 PM
    Cheers for the input.. I was even considering a refurbished surface rt. Is the rt app store the same as the wp store?
    The Windows Store and Windows Phone Store are separate entities, although there is effort to bridge the gap. Namely universal app stuff for devs.
    So the RT app store is the Windows Store that you would find on a typical Windows 8.x PC for the most part.
    11-11-2014 08:15 PM
    Perfect answer thanks mate. I knew rt used one of the stores but wasn't sure which. Thanks for the help.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-11-2014 09:20 PM
    I got an original Surface RT 64G from some reseller on Amazon new in box in August for $238. Refurbished ones are cheaper. In every way it is a premium device. I've browsed tablets recently at Best Buy and Microsoft Store and as far as "look and feel" and build quality nothing even compares except the Apple iPad devices which are similar build quality. As far as performance, I've been satisfied with my RT, although it is not the fastest device I've ever used. It includes Office 2013 for Windows RT - Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Outlook - and they run great. No subscription - Office for the life of the device is included in the purchase price. I believe that is an exceptional value.

I briefly considered the Asus 10" convertible tablet, but looking at the screen - even though it was higher resolution than the RT, it looked shabby and dim. The Surface RT screen is bright and beautiful. Great in daylight, even better for movie watching on long flights.

I got a used type 2 cover and it works great, as well as a 64G micro-SD card that ups my storage to 128G. Has 2G RAM built in, micro-HDMI output, full size USB2 port. Bang for buck is very very high IMO.

I can not run Windows desktop apps. I don't mind that. When connected to wifi on my home network It sees my NAS drive, it sees my desktop share, it sees and works with my printer (for both printing and scanning), it can cast video and audio to my DNLA devices. I can remote desktop to my desktop PC if I choose. I can and have connected an HDMI cable from the Surface RT to my TV, and an XBox 360 controller to the USB port and played Asphalt 8 on my living room TV. I'm sure this would work with other games. The capabilities of this device for the price I paid astonish me.
    Last edited by Philip Hamm; 11-13-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    11-13-2014 07:53 AM
    Wow great feedback there mate! Thanks!
    11-14-2014 03:05 AM
    Hey guys what the difference if any between the surface rt and a surface 2?
    11-17-2014 08:01 PM
    off the top of my head, Surface 2 is much faster, has a silver finish, better display, two positions for the kickstand. Pretty sure there might be a few more minor though.
    11-17-2014 08:33 PM
    From what I've read the screen on the surface two is much better as well as battery life.
    11-17-2014 08:42 PM
29 12