Best tablet for the buck?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Excluding the SP3... Which may or may not be out of my range, what is the best bang-for-your-buck tablet? Any range up to the $500 mark($499+tax etc).
Please, give me your opinions. No preference on anything except price.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The HP stream is only $99. So is the Dell venue 8 pro and Toshiba encore mini 2. But know what's your usage is best for recommendations.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ebay and Amazon (occasionally) have Surface Pro 1 up for grabs. I have been eyeing those out for the past few weeks. you can get them for approx $ 400.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I didn't write that.
You wrote:

"The HP stream is only $99. So is the Dell venue 8 pro and Toshiba encore mini 2. But know what's your usage is best for recommendations."

I read that as the HP Stream is $99 and so is the DV8P and Toshiba Encore mini 2. If that's not what you meant, then I apologize for the confusion.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Excluding the SP3... Which may or may not be out of my range, what is the best bang-for-your-buck tablet? Any range up to the $500 mark($499+tax etc).
Please, give me your opinions. No preference on anything except price.

Best bang for your buck really depends on what you are looking for.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't really use a ton of office things. Mostly something for around the house. Social media games Skype etc.looking for something with some life expectancy of over 2 years. I had purchased an Asus t100 for $150(weird since I only see them for $300+) and one day, half the touch screen stopped working.
Prefer something with a detachable physical keyboard, HDMI and 64GB... If possible... With so many options I could spend hours searching, but I'd like to see what the community suggests to narrow my search a bit. I hear good things about the Dell Venue Pro 8.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't really use a ton of office things. Mostly something for around the house. Social media games Skype etc.looking for something with some life expectancy of over 2 years. I had purchased an Asus t100 for $150(weird since I only see them for $300+) and one day, half the touch screen stopped working.
Prefer something with a detachable physical keyboard, HDMI and 64GB... If possible... With so many options I could spend hours searching, but I'd like to see what the community suggests to narrow my search a bit. I hear good things about the Dell Venue Pro 8.

If you don't care about desktop apps, then the Nokia Lumia 2520 will do. If you don't, I don't think there's a cheap pro tablet with a detachable keyboard...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Many 8" tablets are similar (I'm talking the 2 GB ones that were around in the beginning) and the Venue 8 Pro has always been available for cheap and whatnot compared to the others.

That was my choice, I recommend getting it if you want a compact 8 incher. Although Micro Center's Winbook's look quite nice too.

For larger ones, ASUS has some nice Transformers that are worth looking at, same with Dell with its Venue 11 Pro.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I searched the web and YouTube for 2 weeks. I new what I wanted for a screen, ram and CPU and looked around what fitted best with my wishes. On YouTube I looked to reviews and this way I made my decision.
First find out what you do with it and want to have on the tablet, than looked for the tablets that have that and compare them.

GaryCole

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I know at the goodguyselectronics many tablets with a good price, especially Polariod 8" Internet Tablet pta8000, I've bought it for my nephew

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Tablet-wise, have 2 HP Touchpad dual booted and overclocked, an ElitePad 900 (Enterprise tablet) and an HP Stream 7. For $75, the Stream gets the bang for the buck vote, with the caveat that it's WIMBoot enabled, so not easily upgraded to Win10TP. The ElitePad rocks on Win10...

scottfish

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I had bought a Stream 7 on a whim when they were first $79, but the front camera didn't work so I returned it. Decided I didn't need it.

Now... The WinBook TW700 is $59??? I snagged one today at Micro Center. Definitely best bang for buck. The full sized USB is awesome. I plugged in my Blue Yeti, installed Audacity and voila... instant podcast rig.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Really dumb question. Can you run iTunes on these?

I'm also guessing you've got full Office as well? I need Excel and Power Point in particular.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven