1GB RAM Windows 8.1 Tablets. Performance?

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned in the topic, I am interested to know how these 1 gb ram tablets perform? Both in desktop mode and modern UI mode? Do they lag a lot? How is the gaming on it(app store games)? even with heavy games like fifa 14 for tablets?

Please post your experiences.

Last edited:

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I've got a stream 7. Other than app store games, I don't even try. Not made for doing too many things at once. I had an issues with too many tabs open.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the HP stream 7 with 1gb ram. It's great with little lag. I only use Office and surf the internet. Not too much...but for those tasks I find it really quick. I often try to multitask on my tablet and usually have multiple windows open.

I don't play games on my HP Stream. So can't comment on games performance.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Keep in mind that those 1GB tablets are running the 32 bit version of Windows.

Edit: Scratch that... I just found out that the Insignia is running 64-bit.... no Win16 support for me. :(

Edit #2: Scratch the previous edit... it IS running 32 bit version of Windows. When attempting to run a Win16 app, it prompted me to install NTVDM component. After that, the Win16 app started... more to follow.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Success! I was able to install 2 CDROM titles:
Microsoft Home - Complete Baseball
Walt Disney World Explorer

Because Windows 8.1 supports ISO files (in a similar fashion as Linux and OSX) it was easy for the apps once installed to access their respective ISO file.

I installed a 64GB microSD card and copied the ISO files to them.
I then ran the installer for each and installed the apps in separate folders on the SD card.
Bingo!

I'll now work to tweak the settings to optimize the screen for using these apps.

I'm probably the only one on the planet that cares about these old Win16 CDROMs, and that's ok with me....

....next stop, Microsoft Bob!

Attachments

• wdw.jpg
    wdw.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14
  • baseball.jpg
    baseball.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 17

Balaji Balagurusami

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Does these 8" Windows Tablets have a BIOS Setting? Can I dual boot with any Linux Live OS from USB Stick? Does it support playing Android Apps via BlueStacks or DuOs? Is there Intel Hardware Acceleration available? Hyper-V?

Please dont bite me :p

Andrew Lawson

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey there, just wondered if you had ever managed to get WDW Explorer to function correctly on your tablet? That would pretty much make my life complete if I could pull it off!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I found that tablets with 1gb worked fine for anything in the store with occasional forays into the desktop for things. I found the ones with 16 gb of storage the more limiting factor because you can't install store programs to an SD card and that little of storage fills up fast.

ToddKlindt

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Does these 8" Windows Tablets have a BIOS Setting? Can I dual boot with any Linux Live OS from USB Stick? Does it support playing Android Apps via BlueStacks or DuOs? Is there Intel Hardware Acceleration available? Hyper-V?

Please dont bite me :p
They have BIOS or UEFI. I have several of these tablets and they all vary. For instance, the Toshiba Encore Mini is boot locked, so while you can get into the UEFI, you can't boot off of anything. :(

tk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720